Original License Plates

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

I have always liked the cars that somehow were able to keep the original license plates attached to them. The one that came with my car is rather unique and pretty cool. My car was sold in mid June 1973 and in California the yearly registration runs from July 1st to June 30th the following year. Cars that were registered late in the fiscal year were issued two years worth of tags. For some reason, my car survived with the original tags only and was then apparently put away and the front plate used for the following 39 years.

I don't actually have the original plates for my 4 speed car but I found a nice set of 1973 Ohio plates on Ebay. In Ohio, as long as you have the historical vehicle plates in the car somewhere, you are allowed to display the 1973 plates and the car is registered with them.

347bnsm.jpg

I understand PA very recently loosened the belt and is offering to reinstate vintage plates on vehicles.

Historically, PA has been VERY stuffy with anything regarding anything official like registration and inspections. Kinda shocked me to hear the news.

Glad to hear someone in Harrisburg has at least one fun bone in their body!

Hopefully they'll follow Antique/Classic rules and regs, which are somewhat of a good financial deal for the long term classic owner here.

And, we only need a rear plate (no fronts) :)

I understand PA very recently loosened the belt and is offering to reinstate vintage plates on vehicles.

Historically, PA has been VERY stuffy with anything regarding anything official like registration and inspections. Kinda shocked me to hear the news.

Glad to hear someone in Harrisburg has at least one fun bone in their body!

Hopefully they'll follow Antique/Classic rules and regs, which are somewhat of a good financial deal for the long term classic owner here.

And, we only need a rear plate (no fronts) :)
Ohio requires front and rear plates for all vehicles - even if you have historical vehicle plates. BUT, if you have the vintage plates, you only have to display the rear plate (and no stickers are required). I don't like the looks of a front plate on these cars - it ruins the lines. Another good reason for me to get the vintage '73 plates.

Excellent. Just when I thought I couldn't like your car more.

-Love the history of your car.

Ray
Exactly correct for me too!

I have correct 71, 72,& 73 tags for all my cars. I'm just waiting for Alabama to get with the program. We can register YOM plates but then we can only drive the cars to shows or parades. I'm working to get the law changed. May take 15 years but one day...

I'll pay you $5 for the plate....they are blue and yellow after all.

I have the original plates for my car, they were on it when I purchased it. Along with about a quarter inch thick stack of stickers. Very cool Jeff, your car takes classic authenticity to the next level

They do here....My cousin has original plates and tabs on his TA...But he says its kinda a hassle sometimes..cause he gets pulled over for them all the time..lol..But they look awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm tempted to put the 1971 plate on my car and keep the issued plate in the back floorboard. Or I could put it on the front but that's not nearly as cool looking.

Don,

I would put the 71 plate on and not worry about it. If you get pulled over whip out the correct one and tell them you forgot to change back after car show...I doubt anyone would make an issue out of it and they do look nice.

Jeff

I'm tempted to put the 1971 plate on my car and keep the issued plate in the back floorboard. Or I could put it on the front but that's not nearly as cool looking.

Here in VA they let you run plates that are correct to the year, I got lucky and registered at set of sample plates, and the rest is history.

DSC00028.JPG

Don,

I would put the 71 plate on and not worry about it. If you get pulled over whip out the correct one and tell them you forgot to change back after car show...I doubt anyone would make an issue out of it and they do look nice.

Jeff

Yeah I would Jeff but our law covers that one too and I'm a big chicken.

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/40-12-265.htm

Don from what I found on vintage plates at http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/40-12-297.htm it doesn't state that I can see that the vintage plates only be used for shows. I'm getting a 71 hopefully for my birthday. :)

Here you go Mark...

The section you posted, 40-12-297, tells the how to in obtaining/registering a vintage plate. Section 40-12-290 shows the limitations...see all of the below but especially paragraph (d).

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/40-12-290.htm

Section 40-12-290

Registration of vintage vehicle.

(a) Subject to the requirements of subsections (b), ©, (d) and (e), the owner of a motor vehicle which is herein defined as a "vintage vehicle", upon application to the judge of probate or commissioner of licenses on special application forms prescribed by the Commissioner of Revenue and the payment of a registration fee of ten dollars ($10), may register the vehicle as a "vintage vehicle" and procure therefor permanent license plates to be issued and displayed on the vehicle.

(b) Beginning October 1, 1996, the owner of a "vintage vehicle" which is owned and operated primarily as a collector's item may, upon satisfying the requirements of this subsection, register the vehicle as a "vintage vehicle." The owner shall apply to the judge of probate or county official authorized and required by law to issue license plates. The owner shall pay a registration fee of ten dollars ($10). Upon satisfying these requirements, permanent "vintage vehicle" license plates shall be issued and displayed on the vehicle.

(c )(1) The Commissioner of Revenue may make such reasonable rules and regulations as may be necessary to administer the provisions of this division.

(2) A vehicle using or displaying a "vintage vehicle" plate issued pursuant to this section shall not be used as a commercial vehicle, for transporting passengers or property, or for use as a service vehicle.

(3) "Vintage vehicle" license plates shall remain with the vehicle when sold or otherwise disposed of, and the new owner shall transfer the registration into his or her name in accordance with the provisions of Sections 40-12-260 and 40-12-261, if the vehicle will be operated in accordance with this section, and, if not, standard license plates shall be obtained.

(4) The owner of a vehicle displaying an antique license plate issued prior to October 1, 1996, if the vehicle is to be operated in accordance with the provisions of this section, shall surrender the license plate and obtain the vintage vehicle license plate above authorized without payment.

(d) For the purpose of this section, a "vintage vehicle" is: (i) a private passenger automobile, truck or truck tractor which weighs not more than 26,000 pounds gross weight, motorcycle, or fire truck, (ii) over 30 years old, (iii) operated as a collector's item, including participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and not used for general transportation purposes, (iv) a vehicle having the original or substantially similar vehicle body, chassis, engine, and transmission as designated for that make, model, year, and age vehicle.

(e)(1) Effective October 1, 1997, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate, on the public highways of this state, a vehicle based in this state and displaying a vintage vehicle license plate not in compliance with subsections (b), ©, and (d). Any antique license plate or tag issued prior to October 1, 1996, shall become invalid on October 1, 1997.

(2) Any person violating this section shall, upon conviction, pay a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100), shall forfeit the vintage vehicle registration and plates issued to the owner for the respective vehicle, shall be liable for the regular registration fee and taxes for the vehicle, and shall be barred from applying for or holding a vintage vehicle registration for the respective vehicle for three years from the date of the violation. This penalty shall be in lieu of any other penalty specified in this chapter for this offense.

(Acts 1965, 2nd Ex. Sess., No. 116, p. 157, §1; Acts 1996, No. 96-818, p. 1520, §1.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back