Original License Plates

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Section D works as long as its not your daily driver. Get some blues behind ya then you were on your way to exhibit to a friend or get some pics made for your club. Can we get Barry to call this forum a club. :)

Here in VA they let you run plates that are correct to the year, I got lucky and registered at set of sample plates, and the rest is history.
That's cool they let you have all the "0"'s.

In 1973 Virginia switched from issuing new plates every year to using the stickers about mid-year. So the stamped 1973 plates are harder to find. I scored a nice set last year but have not registered them yet for the car. I like my "Ole Pony" plates too much!

Here's my license plate:

2thebar.jpg

I have a set of 1971 or 1972 Original Plates that came in a mustang coupe parts car i had. I have them hanging on my wall in garage. They are from Ohio. If anyone from Ohio wants them let me know. I just thought they were neat so i kept them.

We still have the plates from Dad's first 73 Sportsroof that brought me home from the hospital. California plates that we can't use on a WV car.

I just switched my antique tag to an original 1973 plate and the DMV made me surrender my Antique tag in order to do it. For Tennessee using the old plate has the same rules and restrictions that our Antique tags do. But it sure looks cooler!

Luck fell my way for once. Recently took delivery of an NOS '71 PA plate, still in its paper mailing envelope!

71plate_zpsc512a445.jpg

I have been running "authentic" 73 plates for about 10 years. In cleaning out the glove box I discovered my registration was missing so off to the Secretary of State. I presented my documentation to the official and she asked when the last time I had registered the car and I replied about 10 years ago, the plates are a lifetime registration. She then proceeded to tell me there is no computerized record for authentic plates. OH FINE... so after a lengthy call to Lansing with several transfers a new registration is headed my way. I hope things go well on any out of state trips since there is no way for the local constabulary to verify my plates.

Back