Original Magnum 500. Restore or leave alone

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
My car originally came with 15 inch Magnums.

Though I only use them to take the car for inspection, I don't like the way they look. They are pitted, the chrome has been polished through in several spots and the previous owner had painted them over after scuffing the surface with some abrasive paper.

I was thinking to have them media blasted and powder coated or maybe just respray them myself if I wanted to be cheap.

Now I am not sure if I should do that. Thing is, as some of you may know, I am into vintage guitars. Now, in that market you have to leave stuff alone. A guitar with most of its finish worn off is worth way more than one that has been restored or completely refinished. Refinishing makes it less collective and will decrease its value by almost 40-50%.

Is it the same in this case? Is it better to leave original Magnums original, even if they're in bad shape?

They're only original once.

So what's your take on this?

Blast them and powdercoat them black. That way, your car will look matched up even when it goes in for inspection.

Can't miss an opportunity to show off, you know ;)

-Kurt

Yeah, we don't have a chrome shop here anyway, so rechroming would be out of the question.

Thanks guys, there seems to be a general agreement on the topic.

Now for the fun part: Does anybody have a cool idea besides the obvious black (not to diss your idea Kurt, it was my first choice too) to finish them.

Would it be cool to have them the same color as the body? I think that look only works with standard steel rims and dog dishes. Yellow Mags with blackouts? Hmmm..?

I heard they have a chrome like powder coating that is pretty much spot on. I'll have to check that.

Or should I go with some kind of dark aluminum? Like some of those late 60ies racing rims?

I'm open for suggestion. :)

I would have them redone if you can, they will look much better. I don't think the magnum 500's are as collectable as vintage guitars.

re do them restored cars and parts are usually worth more than worn ones

Blast them and powdercoat them black. That way, your car will look matched up even when it goes in for inspection.

Can't miss an opportunity to show off, you know ;)

-Kurt

from what I understand, the original Magnum 500 are almost impossible to rechrome.

so the black powder coat is the way to go.
Chrome paint technology has progressed a lot recently.

Might look into that. For your car and the modded look you have, I would consider a "black chrome" finish. :cool:

Since they are original Magnums, try and save/protect the finish on the spokes; kind of a brushed satin. All repops I have seen have the polished spokes.

Ray

Mine were blasted and then powder coated the same black. Came out great and the blasting took off a lot of the old crap on the whole rim, which allowed the chrome and such to shine through pretty descent. That's one way to go. I also just saw the other day, a Mach with the magnums (there is a photo on one of my posts) that blacked out the entire magnum rim with black powder coat. Wasn't too bad looking and will definitely preserve the wheel.

The '70 BOSS 302 had two versions of the Mag'500s: the familiar black cove/ argent spoke/ chrome rim version and the rarer all-argent center section ( no black coves) with chrome rim.

The all-argent version looks cool.

I have never seen these in person, just FORD promo shots ( maybe for a '69...not sure).

They may not have actually made production, but they sure looked cool!

Last edited:
The '70 BOSS 302 had two versions of the Mag'500s: the familiar black cove/ argent spoke/ chrome rim version and the rarer all-argent center section ( no black coves) with chrome rim.

The all-argent version looks cool.

I have never seen these in person, just FORD promo shots ( maybe for a '69...not sure).

They may not have actually made production, but they sure looked cool!
Kt - Like these?

2iu6eyb.jpg

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=13591

Ray

I've seen the rims painted argent with the normal black areas. Then polished trim rings were added. It almost looks original.
Trouble is I can't find any trim rings in 15 inch. I have a set off a 68 Charger that was supposed to go with Magnum 500s but they won't fit. They're too tight. I know that Mopar did not use 15 inch Magnums but they fit a variety of wheels.

If those trim rings would fit, I would not need to do anything to the rims at all. :(

Trouble is I can't find any trim rings in 15 inch. I have a set off a 68 Charger that was supposed to go with Magnum 500s but they won't fit. They're too tight. I know that Mopar did not use 15 inch Magnums but they fit a variety of wheels.

If those trim rings would fit, I would not need to do anything to the rims at all. :(
Is shipping an issue? Lots of generic 15" trim rings on eBay.

-Kurt

Yeah, those on the '69 BOSS in the picture are what I was describing. I think those are refreshingly different and cool-looking.

Mike lots of multi colour powder coated wheels in the bike world. Here are 2 stock wheels and a custom wheel done 2 tone. 500s would be pretty neat multi colour

5n7osn.jpg
[/img]

257gg04.jpg
[/img]

24q8o08.jpg
[/img]

Back