Original Magnum 500. Restore or leave alone

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is shipping an issue? Lots of generic 15" trim rings on eBay.

-Kurt
Shipping is an issue but my biggest concern is fitment. I have bought this one set and it doesn't fit.

I want wide rings, not those that only cover 3/4 inch of the shoulder.

I once had narrow ones and they did not look good. I want them to look like the ones in the Boss picture above.

Trouble is shipping both ways. If they don't fit I can't send them back because it would cost more than the rings themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of Black chrome also. Remember an episode of wheeler dealer where they had a set done. They looked awsum. So the technology is over there. Just have to find it

"Black Chrome" is a misnomer: Chrome us actually clear...it is just a coating over some other color. Typically, the highly polished nickle plating shining through the clear chrome plating is what most think "chrome" is.

Rechroming is out of the question because there are no company's doing that within hundreds of miles.

I think I found a pretty cool alternative. It's Rustoleum "stainless steel". It's not too glossy and it has that brownish (coppery) grey color you sometimes see on vintage race wheels that I dig a lot.

This is only a test spray so there is a little overspray on the black. If I do this, I'll have the tires and counterbalance weights removed and have the rims media blasted.

The color is hard to capture but you get an idea.

5u9a4aje.jpg

u5aju2e6.jpg

Magnums in 14" a-plenty for other makes, and I think for 70 BOSS 302s also ( maybe not).

1969-1970 Boss 302s ran 15" Magnums and 15" steel wheels with caps and trim rings just like the Boss 351s.

But Boss 302's also were available with the steel wheels and 'sport' 15" wheel covers.

mump-1203-001-1970-boss-302.jpg

mump-1203-000-1970-boss-302.jpg

Not sure if any Boss 351's or other 71-2 Mustangs were ordered with the 15" sport wheel covers. If so invoice/Marti would state F-60 15 tires and then list the sport wheel covers...

Ray

Maybe it was the '66 GT-350H cars that had 14" Magnums (14" x 6" I believe...)

Back