original or the way i would like it?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Develop a plan and do it the way you want it. Building a car costs enough money doing things once, let alone re-doing things because you change your mind. Plan the build and stick to the plan. You'll be glad you did.
Maintain an acceptable level of flexibility though. Sometimes, things can change on-the-fly for the right reasons.

But whatever you decide, Keep us posted!!

Since aquiring my 72 Mach1 I've been going through the same dilema. To start with I've found a very straight car (other than some minor mods and the last owners fascination with chopping the loom here there and everywhere to ad switches).

All numbers match, original colour and interior. 'Plan 1' was to keep it as straight as I found it. This lasted till recently and I have since gone to 'plan 2' and purchased a Mach1 hood to replace the standard hood. Also have aquired front and rear spoilers to add to a previously non spoiler car. I've also decided to change the colour from metallic pewter to Grabber Blue. With this the iterior will change from the stock red to blue and white.

You would think I wanted to end it there :) However in my workshop I have a spare 4 cam LT5 ZR1 motor (I also have owned a 1990 ZR1 for the last 13 years)

My two favourite cars are the 71 -73 shape and the 90 ZR1, with the 71-73 edging it. My two favourite engines are the 351 Cleveland and the Lotus engineered LT5 4 cam motor. Both are very pleasing to the eye and to me the LT5 just edges it because of its versatility, unmodified power band and fuel economy.

So just to take stock

Short term aim is body and interior change. Body is at a local paint shop being prepared back to a bare metal job. (all stock interior parts will be stored) The stock 302 with 3 speed are being rebuilt, engine being acid dipped as we speak.

Long term aim is to fit the LT5 and 6 speed, however the realistic time scale for this will be in the next 3-5 years. (again parts like engine and trans will go into storage).

I really did start with good intentions, however you only live once and I want to build my dream combination over the next few years.

Hope I haven't confused you any more :D

Long term aim is to fit the LT5 and 6 speed, however the realistic time scale for this will be in the next 3-5 years.

You want to put a Chevy motor/trans in a Mach1??

It is your car and your decision but,,,some Ford folks would probably call that blasphemic.

You're rebuilding the 302 now, why not just do a performance build on it now? (or stroke it to 347). Probably get the same (or more) power than a 1990 LT5. Then instead of the 3 speed, add a 5 speed or maybe the 6 sp could be adapted to fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long term aim is to fit the LT5 and 6 speed, however the realistic time scale for this will be in the next 3-5 years.
OMG!! I can't believe I just read this!!! I know you can't be serious.

:goodone:

rofl

lollerz

While many may not think they are reading what I am about to say, considering that I am ULTIMATELY a modifier, these cars were/are "FUN" right from the Factory. So, I do not see it as an either/or situation as it relates to "keep it original versus modify it."

As many have stated, it is ultimately up to you as to what you decide. I would like to offer this one thing though. You have to determine what you REALLY want out of your Mustang, RIGHT NOW because ultimately you may change your mind several times if you own it for any length of time. If you decide to modify and are able to acquire the "stock" parts to "put it back" at some time in the future, that might be a very good idea. There is no doubt in my mind (considering history) that the original or "period" parts will become less available or much more expensive to acquire in the future.

...just my $.02.

BT

You want to put a Chevy motor/trans in a Mach1??

It is your car and your decision but,,,some Ford folks would probably call that blasphemic.

You're rebuilding the 302 now, why not just do a performance build on it now? (or stroke it to 347). Probably get the same (or more) power than a 1990 LT5. Then instead of the 3 speed, add a 5 speed or maybe the 6 sp could be adapted to fit.
The motor is essentially british design by Lotus and parts cast mainly in the UK, even the engine builds were contracted to a seperate company, Mercury marine in the USA. The transmission is a German ZF 6 speed. So both were a little removed from Chevy other than being fitted to ZR-1's at their factory.

I've had the motor out of my ZR-1 a few times to fine tune the cams and paint the motor, etc. The modded stroker motor with big valves and max porting in my ZR-1 is a 415 ci. and is producing reasonable power.

The bonus for me is I know my way around an LT5 and with mild porting could get reasonable hp from the stock 350 ci. I could always swap engines between cars too :D It would be interesting to see how the Mach 1 would go with the 415 in it although I would have to probably change the gearing in the axle. I think the weight between the ZR-1 and Mach won't be too far apart.

OMG!! I can't believe I just read this!!! I know you can't be serious.

:goodone:

rofl

lollerz
I'm curious to see the two matched :cool:

My appologies to the OP for going a little of topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back