Original Steel Wheel Color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asusnz

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1 351C 2V FMX
I am wanting to repaint my original 14x7 steel wheels. I will be using the "Ford Motor Company" dog dish caps with original trim rings. I had thought about painting the wheels black but read somewhere they may have been painted Dark Argent. Wondering if anyone knows what color/paint code they originally were?

My med ginger 73 SR came with ginger colored wheels with full size wheel covers.
I would assume 14x6 wheels. When you say full size covers ?

I have seen a few base hardtops, sportsroofs and convertibles with body color wheels running the center cap without the trim rings.

I believe this to be original equipment.

But doubtful for any other cars/models or any equipped with 14x7 or 15x7 inch wheels.

I really like the look though.

mump-1101-01-+ford-1971-mustang-429-cj+-front-left-quarter.jpg

Ray

This is a good question that begs the correct answer:

I have seen both body-colored wheels, and black wheels on different OEM units. I wonder what the criteria was for the difference?

Was it dependant on which hub caps were indicated or was it based on the car's model and/or trim level?

Or maybe it was different technique used at different manufacturing plants?

Last edited:
I am wanting to repaint my original 14x7 steel wheels. I will be using the "Ford Motor Company" dog dish caps with original trim rings. I had thought about painting the wheels black but read somewhere they may have been painted Dark Argent. Wondering if anyone knows what color/paint code they originally were?
I remember my 72 convertible (which I ordered) had standard black wall tires and dog dish hubcaps no trim rings and the wheels were the same color as the car which was medium lime green metalic. I don't think it makes a difference but the car was built in the spring of 72. Hope this helps....

:redlogo:

Ray and Kit both bring up an excellent point: Body color only seemed to apply when trim rings were not included, but when were trim rings not included? It's not as if the Illustrated Facts and Specs book allude to an alternative with only the center hub caps.

Anyone have a build sheet for a car with painted rims?

-Kurt

My mother's 73 Grande ( original owner) had full Grande hubcaps and the steel rims were body color ( brown).

So...this goes against the theory that only cars with center hub caps only came with body color wheels.

Maybe.........the year model makes the difference?

The hubcaps also had a brown-painted center section. I think this was to emulate the same style of painted hub caps that came on then-current Mercedes sedans.

Back