Other Muscle Cars

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71_Stang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang - project car
I spend so much time staring at my 71 mustang, it doesn’t leave a lot of spare time to look at some of the cars build by Detroit in the muscle car era. Of course the icons of the era are burned into my brain, ie the 69 Camaro, but I never paid much attention to the other less iconic cars.

I know the ford's racing program was a big driving force behind the styling of our beloved long nose 71-73 stangs. This got me thinking…Racing was huge in the late 60’s and early 70’s, so what other cars of this time followed this similar styling design? I think it would be fun to figure out what other 'off-brand' car most resembled the 71-73 stang.

My vote is for the 70 GTO

726iyo.jpg

The roof line closely resembles the coupe roof - specially behind the quarter window. Only the rear window follows the roof line, where the mustang coupe rear window is vertical. Also the door/quarter window design looks almost identical. The body line is similar to the mustang but does not carry across the entire car. The GTO also has a long nose, although it is no match for the 71-73 nose.

What car is your vote?

images-6.jpeg

The Torino, and of course AMC Javelin

images-5.jpeg

Geez, so many possibilities.

70ies Torino of course. 1970 Chevelle, 69 Chevy Nova, Coronets and Roadrunners from 68 to 70, 1971-72 Plymouth Roadrunner, GRX or Satellite.

70-71 Cuda.

The obvious 68-69 Charger....

I'd love to have one of each. :)

Ford - I'd have to go with the 1969 or 70 Torino. If we are talking other than Ford then 1970 Dodge Challenger. As far as Chevy...ehhh....69 Camaro isn't that bad if you like the distributor in the back of the engine.

I think the trans am's styled and built alot like our years of mustang..Love the old super duty T/A...I think from any other maker "besides ford" It was close...And very flashy like our years.

The Torino, and of course AMC Javelin
Wow, you ain't lying...The '71/72 AMC Javelin looks every close to the 71-73 mustang. The 'bubble' front fenders sure are ugly...Glad ford designers didn't do that...

dwduus.jpg

Even though the 'Classic Mustang Guys' won't admit it, the '71-'73s are essentially a cleaned-up version of these cars:

Dennis%20Goble.jpg

I mean, seriously - squint really hard and tell me this doesn't look almost exactly like a '71-'73 vert:

486b6151e0.jpg

Even though the 'Classic Mustang Guys' won't admit it, the '71-'73s are essentially a cleaned-up version of these cars:

Dennis%20Goble.jpg

I mean, seriously - squint really hard and tell me this doesn't look almost exactly like a '71-'73 vert:

486b6151e0.jpg
Its where our cars got their style from...except our hoods are way cooler

At the risk of being banned and going waayyy off brand and it's more of an exotic car than muscle car take a look at the '68 - '78 Lamborghini Espada. The resemblance is uncanny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the AMX style grille on the 71-72s. I wonder how a flush mount mesh grille would look on our cars?
I agree. I think the flush mesh "speed" grill would look really good. I've always thought the grill/headlights were sunk in a bit too far on the 71-73 mustangs.

I may just give it a try!!

At the risk of being banned and going waayyy off brand and it's more of an exotic car than muscle car take a look at the '68 - '78 Lamborghini Espada. The resemblance is uncanny.
Wow! Talk about one ugly car...At the risk of being banned with you, I can also see similar design elements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back