Our website versus Facebook

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
So members, I recently reactivated my Facebook account for 7173Mustangs.com. I was on the F/B site before, but dropped it due to too much back-chat and other things I didn't like about using Facebook.
On the website, most of us go by "user names". Some also use their first name as well and some use their full name as a user name. On Facebook, we don't get that option, so it's full names that identify us. I do recognize some people's names because they also use the website, but most are unknown to me. What I've noticed is there is a lot of questions being asked that have been asked and answered on the Forum. That leads me to wonder how many Facebook members actually use the Forum as well. The web forum has so many advantages, especially now the webpage has been redesigned (Thanks Rocketfoot and others), over F/B for picture posting and direct conversations. Sure, we get carried away at times, get off-track or just have some clean fun with other members, but all in all, we're much more respectful on the forum than some are on Facebook. That has been my thoughts on it, what about others. How many of us use both formats. How many just use the forum. It would be interesting to find out. Personally, I'm likely not going to continue using F/B and stay with the forum only.

I use the FB platform mainly for reading stuff, but I hardly post there. I am more active in the Cleveland Engine group and on the local race club group. Otherwise, this forum is my home. I have learned so much from this group and it is little drama and very polite. In FB there is too much drama and angry people being rude.

Last edited:
I'll occasionally look at the FB venue - never post anything - but not a big user of FB. I frequent this forum and the ST-owners.com forum often. I'll peruse VMF some but too much know-it-all or my-way-is-better attitude there for me to get involved.

I agree the level of respect we have on this forum is good. I enjoy the sharing of knowledge, experience and techniques, as well as the story-telling and recollections of the group.

Darn, now I'll have to become a supporting member.

Commie book recently deleted by decade old account. Apparently, you can't use the word clot and vax in the same sentence. That's a big no no. Big pharma has silenced us through the Bloomberg and BlackRock media. I'm supposed to have the right to openly discuss things in a free country. Just sayin

I'm in some 71-73 mustang facebook groups. Not sure if its the one affiliated with this website. On the FB group, I have not been able to participate in any discussions. The admins have some rule I presume to fight spam, but they result in all of my posts getting auto-flagged and nuked.

Even if I could use the FB group fully, i would still prefer to participate on this forum. BBC forum > facebook by a mile.
On BBC forums, you can easily search and find old questions and discussions. On facebook, its like the group is barely searchable even while its current. Once it is old, it goes into a deep dark hole and the information is essentially lost.

What I see most in FB posts is people not agreeing to disagree, or accepting that there are other ways of doing things. Aren't there many different ways to build an engine or a transmission or a suspension? There are zillions of combinations to use. Some may be better than others but the poster may be more inclined to do it one way or use another product just because s/he may feel more confortable with it, or maybe he can find said product cheaper or for free. What may have not work for someone may work for others. Those others may have access to tools the others don't. Some others may have access to a machine shop and can build anything while others not. Some may feel confortable pulling the engine and transmission together while others not. Heck, some may get lucky that it worked in certain way, but others don't. The point is to accept how others do and see things. This forum is in general very open about differences but in FB there are too many jerks around. Sorry, just venting my frustration of spending too much time reading posts in FB where people argue instead of providing constructive contents.

Edit PS: another one is that some may have smaller hands or bodies or better health or more patience to fit under the dash or through engine parts that can get to things others can't which could or could not lead to more disassembly.

Last edited:
I browse Facebook, but if I need serious info I search here and then ask if the search doesn't yeild results. Biggest bummer is that a lot of attachments in the old threads didn't make the conversion to the new web page when the swap happened a couple of years ago. On Facebook, it's a lot of back and forth with people who just want to argue. I got suckered in, and went on way too long with a guy last week that absolutely insisted that there are 4 VALVE Cleveland heads.

I browse Facebook, but if I need serious info I search here and then ask if the search doesn't yeild results. Biggest bummer is that a lot of attachments in the old threads didn't make the conversion to the new web page when the swap happened a couple of years ago. On Facebook, it's a lot of back and forth with people who just want to argue. I got suckered in, and went on way too long with a guy last week that absolutely insisted that there are 4 VALVE Cleveland heads.
LOL... isn't that why we have 4V and 2V heads. Heck, the Chi 3V have 3 valves :ROFLMAO:

What I see most in FB posts is people not agreeing to disagree, or accepting that there are other ways of doing things. Aren't there many different ways to build an engine or a transmission or a suspension? There are zillions of combinations to use. Some may be better than others but the poster may be more inclined to do it one way or use another product just because s/he may feel more confortable with it, or maybe he can find said product cheaper or for free. What may have not work for someone may work for others. Those others may have access to tools the others don't. Some others may have access to a machine shop and can build anything while others not. Some may feel confortable pulling the engine and transmission together while others not. Heck, some may get lucky that it worked in certain way, but others don't. The point is to accept how others do and see things. This forum is in general very open about differences but in FB there are too many jerks around. Sorry, just venting my frustration of spending too much time reading posts in FB where people argue instead of providing constructive contents.

Edit PS: another one is that some may have smaller hands or bodies or better health or more patience to fit under the dash or through engine parts that can get to things others can't which could or could not lead to more disassembly.
Well said Tony.

Facebook, what’s that? LOL
I have never used it (never downloaded) and don’t ever intend to ever use it (I guess I am too old school to bother with it)
However, full disclosure, my wife, does have it and does use it
You can use it just as a website, too. Like this one we're on.
There are differences in how the websites facilitate discussion and present information. Facebook's layout and behavior is better suited for chatting, arguing, and things like that that can disappear and nobody would miss them. BBC forums like this one are better suited to convey and store information and stories.

Facebook does all sorts of stuff under the hood trying to decide which posts and replies to display and in what order. An actual discussion forum shows the posts in order. Somebody can come back in a month and read this and still follow the conversation we're having. That wouldn't be possible if we were using facebook. The conversation would be out of order and some of the replies would be missing. Or the whole conversation would be gone.

I’m 95% forum and 5% FBook. I never post anything on the FBook and mainly just to look for rare or useable parts. I see allot of nonsense there that we rarely have here in my short experience on the forum. Having read thru hundreds of old posts in the last couple months I know it can happen here too, just see it much less often. Agreeing to disagree is part of the learning and growth in my knowledge, Lord knows I’ve been wrong about a car or specific option only to learn more when someone points it out.

Facebook, what’s that? LOL
I have never used it (never downloaded) and don’t ever intend to ever use it (I guess I am too old school to bother with it)
However, full disclosure, my wife, does have it and does use it
You sound like my brother in the UK, won't do any social media! But his wife does.
I only use it to keep in touch, I seldom post anything.

You can use it just as a website, too. Like this one we're on.
There are differences in how the websites facilitate discussion and present information. Facebook's layout and behavior is better suited for chatting, arguing, and things like that that can disappear and nobody would miss them. BBC forums like this one are better suited to convey and store information and stories.

Facebook does all sorts of stuff under the hood trying to decide which posts and replies to display and in what order. An actual discussion forum shows the posts in order. Somebody can come back in a month and read this and still follow the conversation we're having. That wouldn't be possible if we were using facebook. The conversation would be out of order and some of the replies would be missing. Or the whole conversation would be gone.
Pardon my ignorance but what is a BBC forum? - I have heard of this term from another industry but can't be posted here!

Pardon my ignorance but what is a BBC forum? - I have heard of this term from another industry but can't be posted here!
Yeah, I'm not up on all these short cut terms either.......... except wtf! ( the "F" could mean many things depending on the mind reading it.)

Its an online discussion forum thas uses bbcode (square bracket notation) for things like text formatting and embedding images and videos. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

There are a number of products available to run a BBC forum. They tend to use similar paradigms. The meat and potatoes of a BBC board are the threads. This page we're on is one of those threads. The posts in the thread are usually arranged in chronological order. The threads under a particular subforum are arranged by date, where the ones with the most recent activity are near the top. Some threads may be stickied so they stay at the top.

These sort of forums have been around for decades. Over the years, they have had some features basically become requirements. Thats why you may see different forums around the internet that use different frameworks, but they still have very similar core functionality.

Its an online discussion forum thas uses bbcode (square bracket notation) for things like text formatting and embedding images and videos. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

There are a number of products available to run a BBC forum. They tend to use similar paradigms. The meat and potatoes of a BBC board are the threads. This page we're on is one of those threads. The posts in the thread are usually arranged in chronological order. The threads under a particular subforum are arranged by date, where the ones with the most recent activity are near the top. Some threads may be stickied so they stay at the top.

These sort of forums have been around for decades. Over the years, they have had some features basically become requirements. Thats why you may see different forums around the internet that use different frameworks, but they still have very similar core functionality.
Interesting, but you got this old fart totally lost. If it works for me, then that's all good.

Interesting, but you got this old fart totally lost. If it works for me, then that's all good.
This forum is an example of one.

To the original post, I read both but only use forum for questions and education. Most of what appears on FB is subject to interpretation or just a regurgitation of the first thing that shows up in a Google search.

I'm on fb everyday due to my oldest son and a few friends post there. Although I'm a member of the 7173 fb group I very seldom post there. I will give "likes" to some of the post and every once in a while, response to a question with a short answer. As mentioned by quit a few here, there seems to be a lot of people on the fb forum that are limited in their views on how to do things or how to get along with other users. Besides here, I am a member of the 429-460.com because of my 460 and am on the Holley Forum from time to time because of having a Sniper.

Besides the info posted here, the main factor that makes this a great forum is it users. Over the past 5 years that I have been a member, I have never really seen things get out of control on this site. The few times that things have started going south other members have either jumped in to try and settle things down or those parties involved realized what they were doing and turned it down. I could be wrong, but I think the reason why everyone on here gets along fine is because we have a lot smaller user base compared to a lot of the other car forums due to our limited years covered and because our cars have been shunned for years, we are a tighter bonded group.

Back