Our website versus Facebook

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on fb everyday due to my oldest son and a few friends post there. Although I'm a member of the 7173 fb group I very seldom post there. I will give "likes" to some of the post and every once in a while, response to a question with a short answer. As mentioned by quit a few here, there seems to be a lot of people on the fb forum that are limited in their views on how to do things or how to get along with other users. Besides here, I am a member of the 429-460.com because of my 460 and am on the Holley Forum from time to time because of having a Sniper.

Besides the info posted here, the main factor that makes this a great forum is it users. Over the past 5 years that I have been a member, I have never really seen things get out of control on this site. The few times that things have started going south other members have either jumped in to try and settle things down or those parties involved realized what they were doing and turned it down. I could be wrong, but I think the reason why everyone on here gets along fine is because we have a lot smaller user base compared to a lot of the other car forums due to our limited years covered and because our cars have been shunned for years, we are a tighter bonded group.
That was the sort of response I was looking for. Well said and to the point. Thank you.

Like a few others here, I visit and occasionally contribute to some Facebook groups and websites. For the most part, things are civil. But, of course, you will always encounter bashing for anyone with an opinion different from theirs. Differences of opinion are fine, but I have witnessed some really nasty exchanges. I have also seen the same thing Big Red Mach 1 experienced with the "Expert," who KNOWS that 351 4V does stand for a four-valve Cleveland head. He knows because he saw one. It was verified by his sisters' boyfriend, whose uncle knows a neighbor who delivers drinks to the breakroom, who knows a janitor there who talked to a line worker once who told him so! So there 'ya go!
Regardless of what "Rings your Bell," people are usually passionate about it. I have seen situations get totally out of control to the point of burning down to the ground. No matter if discussing cam selections, head building, or dog grooming. Some spirited discussions arise occasionally, and that's to be expected. You're dealing with people from all demographics.

I'm so glad I found this site by accident. I was on a couple of Mustang sites (I'll mention no names) and got tired of the '71-73 bashing! I couldn't sleep one night, so I got on my laptop and Googled '71 Mustang, and the rest is history.

Also, I would like to give a shout-out to our Moderators and Administrators, who keep us in line. Not always a popular job, but one that has to be done. :)

No FB, no Instagram, no Twitter.

I am completely comfortable with tech, and have been an early adopter of most tech platforms since the CompuServe / Listserv days.

That said, I just don't like having a public footprint. Nor do I particularly like to stroke the egos of the many narcissists that seem to frequent and dominate today's social media platforms.

I generally use the Forum most because of the email I get every morning. Sorry I don’t log in can’t remember pw often and my device mask my ip so the site doesn’t remember me. I use Facebook to keep up with my friends and family. If I’m a member of 71-73 fb group I don’t check it.

I'm new to the forum. Didn't know there was a FB group.
I enjoy the forum. The information available is unending and the knowledge of the members is invaluable. It is great to have a place where this information can be shared.
The search is my go to for finding information related to my build.

I also read through the VMF forum occasionally.

I do have a FB account but I don't contribute much. I read it for the comments. Some are comical.

Like a few others here, I visit and occasionally contribute to some Facebook groups and websites. For the most part, things are civil. But, of course, you will always encounter bashing for anyone with an opinion different from theirs. Differences of opinion are fine, but I have witnessed some really nasty exchanges. I have also seen the same thing Big Red Mach 1 experienced with the "Expert," who KNOWS that 351 4V does stand for a four-valve Cleveland head. He knows because he saw one. It was verified by his sisters' boyfriend, whose uncle knows a neighbor who delivers drinks to the breakroom, who knows a janitor there who talked to a line worker once who told him so! So there 'ya go!
Regardless of what "Rings your Bell," people are usually passionate about it. I have seen situations get totally out of control to the point of burning down to the ground. No matter if discussing cam selections, head building, or dog grooming. Some spirited discussions arise occasionally, and that's to be expected. You're dealing with people from all demographics.

I'm so glad I found this site by accident. I was on a couple of Mustang sites (I'll mention no names) and got tired of the '71-73 bashing! I couldn't sleep one night, so I got on my laptop and Googled '71 Mustang, and the rest is history.

Also, I would like to give a shout-out to our Moderators and Administrators, who keep us in line. Not always a popular job, but one that has to be done. :)
That is pretty much where I'm at with F/B and why I don't use it too often other than stay in touch with family and friends.
The reason I went back to it was (I thought ) to maybe and with permission, promote the water shields I'm making, but other than support from Big Red Mach 1 (Chris), all I got was a comment like " why do that , when you can buy Jeep LED headlights for less". Well, not really but who, other than those doing a total resto-mod, want that style of light. Other than that, my post disappeared into shadows.
I too, echo your shout out to the administration for doing a superb job with OUR forum.
I also found this by chance back in 2015 and been active (probably too active) since then. This is the only site I use other than our FB site and that likely will be gone soon.

I use facebook only to keep up with my kids. I dont hear from them on any sort of basis.....unless they need money! If I want to know what they're doing or up to, I check their pages every few weeks. I also keep up with some of my old high school chums while I am at it. Anything serious, I avoid FB and do not post any sort of update personal or otherwise. I proudly display a pic of my Stang and some high school info in case other HS people search for me. Some of the stuff like videos that are generically posted are either humorous or gross. Needless to say FB doesn't dominate my life.

I browse Facebook, but if I need serious info I search here and then ask if the search doesn't yeild results. Biggest bummer is that a lot of attachments in the old threads didn't make the conversion to the new web page when the swap happened a couple of years ago. On Facebook, it's a lot of back and forth with people who just want to argue. I got suckered in, and went on way too long with a guy last week that absolutely insisted that there are 4 VALVE Cleveland heads.
Always google info before you waste too much time arguing. Knowledge is power and when you are wrong, you don't want to continue down that path endlessly. If you are right, you can attach the info. Nothing wrong with being wrong, but how you handle it tells a lot.

I am a member of several FaceBook groups that are involved with Mustangs and/or Shelbys, and enjoy participating in any number of posts here and there. But, for the 7173Mustangs folks I prefer to use the online forum. It is just nice to escape from the FB interface once in a while. And, whether valid or not, I feel the members of the forum are more serious about the information being shared. My memory tells me the online forum seems to be more oriented to technical issues as opposed to social stuff.

Commie book recently deleted by decade old account. Apparently, you can't use the word clot and vax in the same sentence. That's a big no no. Big pharma has silenced us through the Bloomberg and BlackRock media. I'm supposed to have the right to openly discuss things in a free country. Just sayin
Facebook and Mustangs, not other Facebook topics. But since you brought it up. Never been on Facebook and am for free speech and have been wrongfully banned more than once elsewhere. When people die etc. because of mis info and conspiracies is it really free to everyone? Too many people believe too easily. Surely a website can't manage every post and needs to have some automated computerized help and surely things need to be better. Can't use words in the same sentence, then be creative to avoid that. Also do your best to not spread misinformation.

My experience is that the majority of the people on forums prefer them over Facebook for all the reasons already mentioned. It is a much more searchable and archiveable source for real information, technical and otherwise.
Facebook is easy for most people because they don't really do much more than yack anyway.
I don't really do social media, but I did join FB....under a false name. Even used a fake yahoo email to do it. Why? I need be able to access the buying and selling of car parts on FB and Marketplace since people are drifting away from Craigslist and Ebay. But, I kind of resent the automatic data collection (and the monetization of my data) for the purpose of marketing and targeting ME.

I didn’t know this forum was on Facebook until this post. I’m not much for social networking; for what it’s worth, I’m a believe that “friends” are people you have shaken hands with. I have a FB I’d because my kids use something else, and it posts the same on FB, and FB sends me an email to say, look here. So I do.

I‘m old enough to remember putting stuff on Bulletin Boards, in the dark times, looking for car parts, cars, other stuff. And getting info on car shows, and swap meets, etc. that’s where we got help from folks we knew who might give us 10 minutes to help us solve a car problem. Also, car club meetings were a place to get help.

I think whatever works for you is great. Now, how do we get ChatGPT to help us on this site?

My experience is that the majority of the people on forums prefer them over Facebook for all the reasons already mentioned. It is a much more searchable and archiveable source for real information, technical and otherwise.
Facebook is easy for most people because they don't really do much more than yack anyway.
I don't really do social media, but I did join FB....under a false name. Even used a fake yahoo email to do it. Why? I need be able to access the buying and selling of car parts on FB and Marketplace since people are drifting away from Craigslist and Ebay. But, I kind of resent the automatic data collection (and the monetization of my data) for the purpose of marketing and targeting ME.
You make a very good point. I wish now, I'd thought about a "false ID".
What I hate about F/B in general, is the fact that no matter what I need to search, ends up as some sort of ad on my f/b page. That's an intrusion into my privacy.

Yeah, it seems more and more like the 'service' many apps/platforms provide are really there just to collect data to finely tune ads targeted directly at you.
Ads and search results become more and more relevant to what you have already looked at, even if it's not what you want.
And why, I want to know, is it that if you search Facebook Marketplace do you get lots of results that are not related to your search? And the results are not prioritized, they are spread out so you have to look thru other stuff that's not relevant.
All part of their 'engagement' goal of keeping you on their site longer to see more ads to drive more revenue...

Yeah, it seems more and more like the 'service' many apps/platforms provide are really there just to collect data to finely tune ads targeted directly at you.
Ads and search results become more and more relevant to what you have already looked at, even if it's not what you want.
And why, I want to know, is it that if you search Facebook Marketplace do you get lots of results that are not related to your search? And the results are not prioritized, they are spread out so you have to look thru other stuff that's not relevant.
All part of their 'engagement' goal of keeping you on their site longer to see more ads to drive more revenue...
You hit the proverbial nail on the head. You're absolutely right.

Back