Overhaulin' is Back!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disclaimer: Chip Foose is an outstanding artist and car guy, and I have tremendous respect for his skills.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the show - or any of the others, for that matter. The premise of swiping the car and making up a story is now old and I don't know how people are so easily fooled. But, I could see how it could work with the right background story.

My biggest complaint is how far outside of the box Foose feels he needs to go with each car that's 'overhauled.' Not everybody wants, "slammed, 20"+wheels, a $10,000 paint job, or $50,000 worth of work, ridiculously excessive accessories (Blue Ray players in the headrests and so forth), and 600hp worth of go-fast goodies that they'll be afraid to drive or even keep parked at their home (because of theft issues)." Not everything needs to be done in excessive overkill, lookin' like they drove by the tuner shop with the heavy-duty crap magnet on.

Personally if it happened to me after seeing what they came up with, I'd act happy, shake everybody's hands, even squeeze a couple 'tears of joy,' and wait for them to leave. Once they were gone, it would be "Get that sh!t off my car," and sell the unwanted things on Ebay to pay for the bill I'm sure would follow within a few weeks of them "trashing" my car. I'll bet a set of Foose wheels 'As Seen On TV' would probably net a pretty good chunk of change.

My car is being built to MY specifications... not so much what everybody else thinks I need to do. I'll entertain some ideas from my pals and so forth, but when someone won't "let it go," I usually tell them, "If you want a 1971 Mach 1 to look how you want it to look and be what you want it to be, go buy one of your own and have a ball." Usually shuts 'em right up.

Disclaimer: Chip Foose is an outstanding artist and car guy, and I have tremendous respect for his skills.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the show - or any of the others, for that matter. The premise of swiping the car and making up a story is now old and I don't know how people are so easily fooled. But, I could see how it could work with the right background story.

My biggest complaint is how far outside of the box Foose feels he needs to go with each car that's 'overhauled.' Not everybody wants, "slammed, 20"+wheels, a $10,000 paint job, or $50,000 worth of work, ridiculously excessive accessories (Blue Ray players in the headrests and so forth), and 600hp worth of go-fast goodies that they'll be afraid to drive or even keep parked at their home (because of theft issues)." Not everything needs to be done in excessive overkill, lookin' like they drove by the tuner shop with the heavy-duty crap magnet on.

Personally if it happened to me after seeing what they came up with, I'd act happy, shake everybody's hands, even squeeze a couple 'tears of joy,' and wait for them to leave. Once they were gone, it would be "Get that sh!t off my car," and sell the unwanted things on Ebay to pay for the bill I'm sure would follow within a few weeks of them "trashing" my car. I'll bet a set of Foose wheels 'As Seen On TV' would probably net a pretty good chunk of change.

My car is being built to MY specifications... not so much what everybody else thinks I need to do. I'll entertain some ideas from my pals and so forth, but when someone won't "let it go," I usually tell them, "If you want a 1971 Mach 1 to look how you want it to look and be what you want it to be, go buy one of your own and have a ball." Usually shuts 'em right up.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, in fairness, they have done a few "pretty close to stock" rebuilds, it all depends on what the so-called "insider" indicates the owner of the car wants. I know that I yap about my car enough that if my wife were put in that role, she would get pretty damn close to what I want.

Now, that having been said, my OPINION is that there is a place for stock restored cars, like Mach 1's, Boss 351's, etc. and it is a very nice place to be...if you own one of those. For guys like me, who just have a mundane '71 coupe that started life with a 250 I6, a C4, and 2:79 gears, a Foose treatment is just what the Dr. ordered. While I do agree that some of the stuff is a bit over-the-top, Foose does have some of the cleanest looking cars to come off of TV. West Coast Customs, while a cool show to watch, some of their "theme" cars do not lend themselves to daily driving by ANY means.

There is a place for everything, and everyone is different, can't we all just get along!?!? :D

As far as Mach 1's go, mine's about the most mundane out of what was offered (it's an 'H' code, and with only modest accomodations - no console, no tach, no power windows or locks, 351C-2V, FMX, 3.00 open-diff rear, no A/C, etc. The only 'good' stuff on it: Ram-Air, tilt-steering, sport seats)

Keeping that in mind, I plan on resto-modding my Mach 1 - to the point of what would be along the lines of what was available at the time. 15" rims, BFG tires, traction bars, hop-up the power, and put in a nice stereo. I'll also be adding power windows, locks, Classic Auto Air, and tinted windows. Beyond that - I'm good with the stock vehicle appearance for the most part.

Suffice it to say, I'm not into the "slammed with bling on rubber bands" look that everybody seems to gobble-up after people like Chip Foose craps one out. But if that's what people like, more power to them. Not for me though, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If we all had the same cars it wouldn't be any fun! :)

I'm a huge fan of any car, as long as its well executed and the details have been tended to. If its just slapped together for something to drive, then any style resto would be a piece of crap!

As long as we're all having fun!!!

If we all had the same cars it wouldn't be any fun! :)

I'm a huge fan of any car, as long as its well executed and the details have been tended to. If its just slapped together for something to drive, then any style resto would be a piece of crap!

As long as we're all having fun!!!
You said it. I agree that diversity is needed. Just don't slam, and jam dubs on mine is all I ask. :D :D :D

OK you guys - I don't want to hear no b!tching with you find out *someone* swiped your cars then. :whistling:::tease::::blah::

I enjoy watching the builds but like others the 'lameness" of pretending the car was stolen needs to be done away with. The practicle side of me starts thinking of the liability involved of taking some one's car and building it the way you want it. Then there's the claims adjuster who feels the car theft claim doesn't pass the stink test because the police say it was never reported stolen when the call for police report so the insurance company dump assets into investigating it as a suspicious claim. The guy now has a claims record for a stolen car even if he later drops the claim when he finds out it was joke. All this and more indicates to me the owner is in on it and it's a part of the entertainment.

They can come get mine any day of the week
Pfft! Whatever. They'd take one look at yours and go, "Da-a-a-a-amn!!" Just like the rest of us do. ;)

Back