Package Tray Speaker options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Coupe. 302 2V - C4 trans
Hey guys,

I'm interesting in putting some 6x9 speakers on the back deck package tray. We have a 71 coupe. the holes in the deck won't let speakers this size fit well, so I'm looking for a package tray that has some speaker mounts on it.

It seems that at CJ pony, you can get all kinds of options (including options that come with speakers) for cars through 1970. But nothing for our models… anywhere that I can tell.

Do you guys know where I can find an option like this? Or, any suggestions on how to do it myself?

Thanks,

Jay

Jay ,

Make your own package tray , it's easy to do....

Take some Medium-Density Fibreboard ( MDF ) ( you have to messure how thick it needs to be ) cut a package tray from it,

messure the 6x9 holes en saw them out of the board.

If you use 12,5 mm MDF the speakers sit 12,5 mm higher then normal , that should be enough...

I did this with 2 6x9 JBL's in my own Mach1 and it works great , i added an extra sheet of MDF on top of the speakers and tacked some black speaker fabric over the package tray, my package tray is all black now and you can't see any speakers.......

I have 2 stereo units in my car , the 72 Original radio , and 1 Alpine set with 4 speakers ( the Alpine set is hidden ).

People Always ask me why that Original Ford radio sounds that good ,,, DUH....

Thanks! I appreciate the info. I went ahead and bought a set of 6x9s and will install them soon. I appreciate the thickness measurement that I will need to raise the deck so a 6x9 will fit in the existing metal. I will plan to post a pic my replacement later, and note any issues I have.

GREAT idea to put the alpine in a hidden location. Preserves the original look at feel but you can still have the great sound of the new systems. Is the receiver head located in a console or ? How did you hide it?

Thanks for the info.

Jay

Jay ,

At the moment the receiver is build in a case underneath the heaterassembly exactly where the clock sits when you have a long console. ( it's a perfect spot for it , i glued carpet to the sides of the case so the case has the same carpet as the tunnel )

I have a short console right now and i'm restoring a long console , when the long console is finished i'll put the receiver under the armpad in the console.

I can take some pictures if you want...

***i used 12.5 mm MDF , it depends your speaker hight how thick your MDF has to be***

Other option that you have is ... build a MDF package tray and mount the speakers underneath the new MDF tray , total mounts underneath the Original package tray , use the Original holes ( so you don't have to drill your Original steel tray ) to mount it to a MDF tray on "top" of the steel tray....

when you use speaker fabric to mount on top , use 2 pieces of moscquito fabric to glew on top of the speaker holes , that prevents sag in the speaker fabric ( do not glue the fabric on top , use staples , pull the fabric around the corners and staple it underneath the tray )

I hope you understand , it's easy to write it down in dutch , but a bit of a hassle to do it in english ;)

Thanks! I appreciate the info. I went ahead and bought a set of 6x9s and will install them soon. I appreciate the thickness measurement that I will need to raise the deck so a 6x9 will fit in the existing metal. I will plan to post a pic my replacement later, and note any issues I have.

GREAT idea to put the alpine in a hidden location. Preserves the original look at feel but you can still have the great sound of the new systems. Is the receiver head located in a console or ? How did you hide it?

Thanks for the info.

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx again. I think I completely understand! I like the option of the MDF package tray with the speakers mounted completely underneath the metal deck. That will leave a completely smooth package tray as I understand it, and it will mean the speakers hang a little lower in the trunk compartment. A couple of Q's

1) You said use original holes, but will the standard 6x9 hole pattern actually align with the original holes in the metal? the original speakers were narrower than 6in..

2) I'm unfamiliar with mosquito fabric. I assume this is a fabric that I can glue over the hole, and it must not stretch much? If so, I can see how it would span the hole and prevent the black outer covering from sagging.

Thanks. Still planning things here, and waiting to get the time to get this installation going.

Jay

Thx again. I think I completely understand! I like the option of the MDF package tray with the speakers mounted completely underneath the metal deck. That will leave a completely smooth package tray as I understand it, and it will mean the speakers hang a little lower in the trunk compartment. A couple of Q's

1) You said use original holes, but will the standard 6x9 hole pattern actually align with the original holes in the metal? the original speakers were narrower than 6in..

2) I'm unfamiliar with mosquito fabric. I assume this is a fabric that I can glue over the hole, and it must not stretch much? If so, I can see how it would span the hole and prevent the black outer covering from sagging.

Thanks. Still planning things here, and waiting to get the time to get this installation going.

Jay
Jay ,

If you mount the MDF tray underneath you can put it some screws in from above using the existing holes in the steel tray...

Use Google for the Mosquito fabric , you can glue or staple it on top of the above MDF tray Speaker holes , stretch it so you will span the hole perfectly.., it's only for sag prevention.

I forgot to use it once , i had sag in the fabric within 2 weeks..

JB

Back