Paint before or after assembly?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)

So may convertible it completely disassembled and I will be doing the underage/engine bay, trunk and aprons. I originally thought to put the engine, trans, suspension,... back in the car with everything detailed and do the paint last. My greatest fear is that I mess up the paint while putting stuff back on if I do this after paint. The concern I had going the other way was the body shop getting over spray over my new stuff. I would really appreciate hearing others experiences and thoughts. Is it possible for the body shop to do a good enough job taping things off. The plan is to have the car pre-fit, dismantled, painted in pieces, then reassembled. It seems doable but about half the guys I talk to say over spray is inevitable.

Thanks for any input,

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting real close to being in the same boat. I think the consensus will be to paint before assembly, simply because it will ensure better coverage of paint (no masked off spots showing through when something is later 'adjusted' down the road).

Your best bet is to mock-assemble everything, noting position of key components in their final places, then take it apart again for paint. This gives you the opportunity to get all of the positioning correct without risking the paint job during that process. Putting it back together while being careful is a lot easier than trying to be careful while aligning doors, fenders, hoods, trunk, trim pieces, etc.

Just some things I've picked up on from some of our more skilled and talented body shop and restoration guys (*cough* "Scott - Qcode351mach" *cough*). ;)

So may convertible it completely disassembled and I will be doing the underage/engine bay, trunk and aprons. I originally thought to assemble the car with everything detailed and do the paint last. My greatest fear is that I mess something up while putting stuff back on. The concern I had going the other way was the body shop getting over spray over my new stuff. I would really appreciate hearing others experiences and thoughts. Is it possible for the body shop to do a good enough job taping things off. The plan is to have the car pre-fit, dismantled, painted in pieces, then reassembled. It seems doable but about half the guys I talk to say over spray is inevitable.

Thanks for any input,

Jim
Timely post as I am currently in the same boat in the decision making process.

I agree with Mister 4x4. I am in that stage with my 86 F150. I did a frame off resto-mod building a 408W Stroker, 4-link coilover rear suspension, DJM lowering beams up front, 3.55 rear end with an Eaton posi, boxed the frame, etc. You get the idea. It's currently in Nashville, TN where Rick Bacon, former host of MuscleCar, is finishing the body work and painting it for me. Yup, the arsonist is painting El Guapo. :cool:

It had the awful mid-80's primer that would allow paint to peel off, so entire the truck had to be mediablasted. Then it was back to Ricks where he shot it with sealer so he can take his time finishing the body work. I've disassembled it, assembled it, disassembled it, and reassembled it, about 3 times, but soon, with assemble it for the last time. :)

So the bottom line, in my opinion, paint it disassembled, then you can reassemble. You can tape off the areas that might rub to protect the paint. Otherwise, you will be at the mercy of the paint shop to keep from damaging stuff. Also, disassembled, you can seal and paint ALL exposed surfaces, not just those that show.

Just my 2 cents worth (and may not be worth it).

I reread my post and thought to clarify. When referring to reassemble I meant the suspension, drive train, exhaust, gas tank, brakes, fuel/break lines, electrical, .... Basically getting all the heavy stuff back in the car prior to going to body shop. I was more concerned with over spray on all of my work should I go this route. The alternitive being me doing it after and risk messing up my paint. The body panels will be painted off the car and body shop will re-assembled the body.

Thanks,

Jim

So may convertible it completely disassembled and I will be doing the underage/engine bay, trunk and aprons. I originally thought to assemble the car with everything detailed and do the paint last. My greatest fear is that I mess something up while putting stuff back on. The concern I had going the other way was the body shop getting over spray over my new stuff. I would really appreciate hearing others experiences and thoughts. Is it possible for the body shop to do a good enough job taping things off. The plan is to have the car pre-fit, dismantled, painted in pieces, then reassembled. It seems doable but about half the guys I talk to say over spray is inevitable.

Thanks for any input,

Jim
Timely post as I am currently in the same boat in the decision making process.
You should do all fitting body work first..Disassemble..edge/ jamb the entire car apply a base coat of color to the entire car including all the parts off the car..The edges jambs should then be cleared..Do your detail work..engine compartment etc..Assemble the body MINUS trim..all the trim SHOULD have been fitted in the body work stage..Thoroughly Mask off the detailed areas..Wet sand the entire car..wash clean...remask..spray the entire car at one time..This is especially important if your painting a metallic color..There's no reason the areas can't be masked..If you want to see how its done these guys have it down pat ! (see video) Problem is only a handful of shops guys can do it this well..Takes attention to detail & lots of time to do it correct. Btw..any one who says overspray is a given isn't confident enough in the caliber of their work..Thats just a lame excuse for being too lazy to remove it or touch up IF some were to sneak by

All of the jambs, nooks and cranny's were painted on mine fully disassembled, then the car was re-assembled and the body was painted. Worked out well.

2853_1139293889262_7734931_n.jpg2853_1139294009265_1677050_n.jpg

I reread my post and thought to clarify. When referring to reassemble I meant the suspension, drive train, exhaust, gas tank, brakes, fuel/break lines, electrical, .... Basically getting all the heavy stuff back in the car prior to going to body shop. I was more concerned with over spray on all of my work should I go this route. The alternitive being me doing it after and risk messing up my paint. The body panels will be painted off the car and body shop will re-assembled the body.

Thanks,

Jim
That depends. In my case, there was so much rust, that I had to do the body work first, then the suspension and drive train. It definitely makes it a challenge.

Mine was painted disassembled too. Only the fenders were painted on the inside first and then put on the car and were painted in situ after everything had been properly aligned. .

The rest was painted separately on a rack.

nehunyhe.jpg

eda8u7a2.jpg

yrezusy2.jpg

Thanks,

Jim
Jim,

The parts you are looking to install can be done after paint.

You might try and see if the body shop will let you take the car before fenders , hood, grille and bumper go on. Then you can put in the motor. Then bring it back to them for final assembly.

If not get a LOT of moving mats and cover the fenders, doors, roof and all.

I like how the video "Q" posted had the tape/paper actually taped to the floor of the booth, I never thought of that thats a great idea.Probably cause I usually wet the floor before I spray. I have used a product called spay mask in the past. its a pink colored liquid sprayed on items like frame rails ,the underneath area and etc then after its painted you wash the off the spray mask with a hose. I like they way they masked up the Camaro in "Q's" video. I actually really like masking up cars for full a paint , My oldest brother who started his Body shop in 1978 used to come and get me when I was a "young un" and I would help him on some saturdays. Good memories for me. Crank up some good music and start taping off For some unknown reason i really enjoy it. OK, Back on the subject at hand. My plan is to spray with fenders, doors installed . I plan on painting on the stripes and Im going to "bury" the stripes in clear.

To me its like drinking coffee, Its all your preference. I personally don't like to do final alignment until I have the car assembled enough to have the weight distributed as it will set when complete. I personaly like to assemble the drive train portion and then edge all the inner parts of the panels, door jams , inside doors, under hood ,etc. etc. Then assemble the body parts and align, then paint the entire exterior. This is espeacialy true with candies, pearls, and high metallics. The masking isnt that difficult, and wheels can be removed along with bumpers tailights and the like.

Back