Paint for center gauge console?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxgranch

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Base Convertible 302
We are rehabbing a center gauge console. Is there a consensus on which black paint is the best match for the rest of the black interior? I see the Duplicolor and SEM flat black, but I would think a satin would be a better match. SEM has a satin and something called Landau black. I poked around in the forums here and wasn't sure what folks wound up thinking worked best.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks all! The dash stuff on our car does not look flat, but someone probably soaked it with Armor All at some point, certainly while they were prepping it for sale at the consignment place. That was why I was looking at a satin paint finish. I have used a bunch of the Krylon Fusion for other types of projects with good results. Is the SEM Black Trim a flat finish? Don, your center console came out really nice. Which Molotow marker did you use? They have several nib sizes, 1, 2, 4 and 5 mm from what Amazon shows. The one I am going to rehab has the adhesive wood trim which is in bearable condition. I am thinking about peeling it, but fear the left over goof and what the plastic will look like under it. I have not seen a source of the stick-on vinyl. At some point, the wood trim was added to the doors and it is in acceptable shape, so probably best to leave it on the console.

I used the 4mm. The next time I'm going to get the refill bottle and try masking and air brushing. My hands aren't as steady as they used to be  :classic_sad:  Starting the day with coffee probably doesn't help, but I don't want to fall asleep with my head on the work bench  :biggrin:

We are rehabbing a center gauge console. Is there a consensus on which black paint is the best match for the rest of the black interior? I see the Duplicolor and SEM flat black, but I would think a satin would be a better match. SEM has a satin and something called Landau black. I poked around in the forums here and wasn't sure what folks wound up thinking worked best.

Thanks in advance!
Ive not seen what I used posted on any threads. The product is called Mar-hyde black satin. #3811. Its made for steel and plastics (not vinyl). Product is a automotive product by 3m. Its makes a nice even satin finish. Make several light coats for the best finish. It has all the nasty stuff in it like acetone, ketones, and such that basically melt there way into the plastics.  Its super tough so I used it on my firewall. You can get it at Orileys auto, or online.  

I tried a couple different matte/flat/low gloss paints and one I settled on was DE1634 Duplicolor Low Gloss Black engine paint. It gave a very soft sheen that looks right to my eye. 

I used a 4mm Molotow marker. You want to practice your technique before doing the actual parts. Go in one direction only, get complete coverage in one pass and don't try to go back over what you've just painted. Let it dry completely and then touch up any spots. I've already done the driver's dash bezel, need to finish the center stack. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E7EGARQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jThLEYEBXgRUWvcJinE4nagCV7JNSB80cXuCtX1rAaS7wOCsnXk6H2rNkeogXE4C9MfzFnyiVAQmRs1BX5in-X1POdtxoPLSl2etjTtKbT0vUJUQEeo-chaR-8mPveVLYOFUURyaN5vqdiq-GuoclpXgTYikvJc4IeVeN4VDZpaONgYYJeN4LFAvVSHkS_LldbxB4-BtjO5mB286ffnH887P_f2FYJ9hLFMf7SFwq176ApYMBcXbfmP5-fXmoPxAUywXAesc6FJRGWAMFyyccMehogH1sOz_kPGwNNGK7ppigAiu6wJ8tLDZLDkvsNcQ6h3l5PkCRKKZe2COMuGNdpA4lJhJ85GKrpUjWLoX22Bln3rQ0JLHJRNFO4SYV7Z11VpWmgUlCJlkgyopitL4qfODlhf0kzaNXfkAagg4AWhl1tqc_aFzotJnhp9BcAPkBDKqilhq6JXax23ekPFs2Q10tabsr7T9w5_wGrVREhw1DKVo9su-OGMwrX_bQl0UOkf8Wgz-8txZdnpM_wiH5ReSpi5vz4VXx627lfICV6l-RKJTQ9j8O6CwYBW-MnKQQG23xmGI0Q5K01NIVECcNGeGZUzBMABWYe3TmCA88oB_gZOoNfLhB1hox0t15QUZ4GIRX6weJASqhAKh5mTyNnHY_AnoI-BU2QCj1iDFg3_padZ7f7F5qJXNEwaASUz1z9OeJaKh4o7WLPKurLFUh-e1Xg=w620-h826-no

Last edited by a moderator:
SEM Trim Black is my go-to paint for this sort of work. The sheen is pretty much right on for the non-concours crowd. I used this paint for during the 30+ years I worked building automotive air induction prototypes including many "show pieces". 

As for stripping the wood finish off your center stack, I've done it and it will be a lot of work to get the surface back to an acceptable finish. On mine, I chose not to try to redo the "chrome" edges because originally my "Plain Jane" car did not have the chrome trim around the speedo bezel. 

Back