Paint work, costs... Yucky

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Ryunker

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/fF5Ono][img]https://preview.ibb.co/dKMw7o/20180526_110612.jpg[/img][/url]
So, well into our relocation to South Dakota. Car ('71 Mach1) body work was done and finished in evercoat feather fill before it was transported. New home is equipped with much garage space and I have the ability and equipment to do the finishing and paint work.

I have priced the paint basecoat at $220 a gallon, plus clears.

Body shops want $8,500 to 10k to paint. It will get done in code V light pewter along with black bottom.

Finding it hard to justify hiring out the work, any thoughts and comments would be great.

Sheriff41

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Q-code
I learned to paint cars when I was young and couldn't afford to pay someone for a decent paint job. I've gone from lacquers, catalyzed enamels, etc., to modern water-based paints. The folks at the automotive paint supply stores are a wealth of knowledge for you.

If you educate yourself, purchase some quality equipment, and are willing to endure some mistakes along the way, you can do a pretty nice paint job yourself. There are plenty of resources online that explain the painting steps and process. Hobby use HVLP systems are available and will result in more material getting on the painted surface and less over spray on everything in the garage. Metallic paints, like your pewter, take some technique to avoid metallic striping so you'll want to learn about those before painting. Solid colors are much easier.

Once the painting is done, the finishing work is just as important. To get the best finish you'll need to color sand, cut, polish, glaze and seal your paint. Lots of good resources online for this, also.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
What paint are you using that only costs $220 a gallon? I would be looking at a better quality paint. Since you can do the work yourself, don't skimp on the quality of the materials. I really like PPG products. The last gallon of PPG DBC basecoat in grabber yellow that I bought was a little over $900. PPG is a quality paint and covers very well.

The overall costs for good materials for an overall paint job is around $4500-5000. That's everything from mud, to paper, to glaze, to primer , to paint, clear, ect ect. Since you're already in primer it will be much less but still not cheap.