Paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericsmach1

Reaction score
My Car
I have owned this car since 1986, been sitting and rotting for the last 30 years, time for my restoration project to begin, since I’m almost done putting 3 kids thru college
Is the black stripe on the hood of a 72 Mach supposed to be a flat or gloss black?

They were not gloss black. Someone knowledgeable on here should be able to let you know the amount of flat the paint should have.

Many people like the gloss look and ease of maintenance, but flat black is the way to go for originality.

Thanks, what I was thinking but have seen a few with gloss. The flat definitely looks better.

I agree with using the flattener. It reduces glare aside from looking good,

Kcmash

I did mine with SEM HotRod Black. There is also a matching clear coat. I found that just the paint alone has good durability. As for the correct shape of the blackout, there are many posts on here with correct dimensions..
Here's a pic of my hood, BUT it is incorrect and that's on me. I told the painter 2" from the front, forgetting the 1" nose trim piece was not on.
Graphics Express in Florida have the stencil I used, but while quite good, it is still about 1/2"/side small. However for me, I like the proportions a little better, so not an issue for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0081 (2)_LI.jpg
    IMG_0081 (2)_LI.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the paint info. I do have the stencil already but haven’t laid it out on the hood yet.

Like others said the single stage Hot Rod Black looks good and holds up real well.

I used a Matt clear over the black. It looks great and it take a lot of abuse. No glossy edges... nothing effects it.

Attachments

• 20210920_170756.jpg
    20210920_170756.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 10
Is the black stripe on the hood of a 72 Mach supposed to be a flat or gloss black?
For our 73 Mach 1 restoration we ended up with PPG Sunset Orange for the main color, and used PG Hot Rod Black Mate for all the black surfaces. It really turned out nicely, where the black matte stops the sun from reflecting with any glare, yet the surface is very smooth and will not hold onto any kind of compound or intrusion, like car wax, soap, bird dropping, etc. This is a link to a walk-around video from YouTube:

Thanks for the paint info. I do have the stencil already but haven’t laid it out on the hood yet.
When my painter did mine, he only used the stencil as a guide because he was concerned about paint bleeding under the edges especially (if I remember) at the joints. He used 3M 1/2" plastic tape to lay out the 1/4" wide stripe.
How did others use the stencil?

When my painter did mine, he only used the stencil as a guide because he was concerned about paint bleeding under the edges especially (if I remember) at the joints. He used 3M 1/2" plastic tape to lay out the 1/4" wide stripe.
How did others use the stencil?
I used the stencil as intended and adhered it by myself before giving the hood to the painter. I collected my measurements from original hoods of forum members here and then took a good average. Concerning the width of the stencil it is a little on the narrow side out of the box but only a little. So I didn't care much and the result is very satisfying. The width of the hood black varies from 71-73, though. The most important thing is the distance from the front lip of the hood, about all other things one have not to be too much picky. The paint stencil worked great and paint bleed was no concern.

For our 73 Mach 1 restoration we ended up with PPG Sunset Orange for the main color, and used PG Hot Rod Black Mate for all the black surfaces. It really turned out nicely, where the black matte stops the sun from reflecting with any glare, yet the surface is very smooth and will not hold onto any kind of compound or intrusion, like car wax, soap, bird dropping, etc. This is a link to a walk-around video from YouTube:

Love that color. Great job

I used the stencil as intended and adhered it by myself before giving the hood to the painter. I collected my measurements from original hoods of forum members here and then took a good average. Concerning the width of the stencil it is a little on the narrow side out of the box but only a little. So I didn't care much and the result is very satisfying. The width of the hood black varies from 71-73, though. The most important thing is the distance from the front lip of the hood, about all other things one have not to be too much picky. The paint stencil worked great and paint bleed was no concern.
Good to know that there was no paint bleed. Good info for others, thanks.

Mine is the SEM Hot Rod Black matte finish as well. I believe, Ford was hinting at the cars road race lineage, by imitating what road racers had been doing on their cars to kill the blinding glare drivers sometimes experienced with sunlight reflecting off the hood. Check out some of the hot Mopar musclecars of the era, and they had the same idea....kill the glare. That having been said, there are some very nice looking Machs out there with glossy black hoods, while not really correct, still attractive

Back