Painted my interior (with pics)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfdavid

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
400, race cam, pistons, rocker arms, ignition, heck, basically everything is race modified
When I bought this car, I bought it as a project. Which is how I got it for a good price. One of the priorities besides engine work which I did first, was the horrible interior. The guy that had it before used it as a 1/4 mile car and had a horrible paint scheme. It was basically a red and black swirl as you can see in the pics but what is hard to see is the gold and silver fleck in it topped off by a gel coat. Looked like a damn bass boat. So, before I get a whole new paint job on the car, I wanted to paint the interior myself. So, I bought the guns that hook up to my compressor. I went to an automotive paint store and got interior trim paint. I pulled 95 percent of the interior and what I couldn't pull, I made the inside of my car into a simplified paint boot. Anyway, as you can see in the pics the before and after. I think it came out pretty darn good for my first time painting, not having a paint booth. Temps were upper 80s with 45% humidity.

The pics were taken with my iphone, so they aren't the best but you get the picture.

before pic of dash, seat back, rear side panel

23403FD5.jpg

before pic

3EE0C5FA.jpg

taped off to paint parts i couldn't remove

931F1956.jpg

dash as it is drying

82EBCEEB.jpg

all put back in

3C5A761E.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Turned out nice. Is it close to being done (whatever "done" means)?
Not sure if a car is ever really done. With my car projects I always seem to find something else to do. Done for me usually means once it is sold and the title is transferred, but I don't plan on doing that with this car.

I am taking it this weekend for a new paint job. Going with grabber yellow and matte black hood stripe (whatever you want to call the design on the hood) with a gloss pin stripe around it, matte black spoiler, and probably gloss rocker panels. My stripe kit is matte as well.

The old colors must have taken alot of time to do but you can't go wrong w/ a black interior

The old colors must have taken alot of time to do but you can't go wrong w/ a black interior
True that. Well, except maybe 100% black inside and out living in Phoenix, Arizona.

That was a real interesting paint job on the old parts. As Machman said, must have been a lot of work to that, but ....why?!? :-/

I know a few places where that pant might look terrific but definitely not on a car's interior!

The black looks good. Grabber yellow will look awesome. I love all the grabber colors!!

Thanks guys. It was obvious the guy had put a lot of money into that interior paint scheme. I actually sandblasted the dash to the bare metal, after primer and paint it looked factory. The other parts that were plastic I didn't want to blast for fear of messing them up so I sanded a bit, primed and painted. The pics really don't do it justice.

Does anyone know the paint code for the grabber yellow?

When I bought this car, I bought it as a project. Which is how I got it for a good price. One of the priorities besides engine work which I did first, was the horrible interior. The guy that had it before used it as a 1/4 mile car and had a horrible paint scheme. It was basically a red and black swirl as you can see in the pics but what is hard to see is the gold and silver fleck in it topped off by a gel coat. Looked like a damn bass boat.

before pic of dash, seat back, rear side panel
Lmao...It would feel like you was driving around in a hot tub!! hehe..I would cover it up too.

Thanks guys. I was very intimidated at first, because if I screwed up, it was gonna cost to fix. But, hell, couldn't have been any worse than what was in it and after all, I did buy this car to do stuff like this myself. So, I just went for it and I was extremely happy with the results.

Thanks guys. I was very intimidated at first, because if I screwed up, it was gonna cost to fix. But, hell, couldn't have been any worse than what was in it and after all, I did buy this car to do stuff like this myself. So, I just went for it and I was extremely happy with the results.
It is an attitude like that which makes working with these old cars

worthwhile.

I have learned to do many things in life by attempting to do them. I have had my share of failures, and many more successes. The failures taught me more though.

Back