Painting new fuel tank?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Hello:

I would like to paint the outside of my new fuel tank with something to prevent any future rust, corrosion, etc. I remember, last century, that radiator shops would paint the entire tank, after fixing holes, etc. Do people still do that? Have any of you used a product you would recommend, beyond just paint? Thanks.

Steve

Hello:

I would like to paint the outside of my new fuel tank with something to prevent any future rust, corrosion, etc. I remember, last century, that radiator shops would paint the entire tank, after fixing holes, etc. Do people still do that? Have any of you used a product you would recommend, beyond just paint? Thanks.

Steve
 IF your new tank has a Terne Coat coating, i.e. a lead/zinc alloy as is the case with Spectra Premium (Canadian made) tanks, painting is not necessary. In fact, paint may not stick to it, so you end up with a mess. Non coated tanks could be painted with something like Chassis Black from Eastwood as an example. Other than paint, maybe a non asphalt based rocker guard that is paintable.

Spectra Premium tanks are coated inside and out and by far the best replacement tank out there. Buy from Rock Auto for lowest price is my advice. 

As Geoff said, +1 

Have also the Spectra tank installed with all the goodies, best bang for the buck and no additional paint necessary. It looks perfect and will hold up the rest of your life. Or better, as long as there is fuel available... 

Another +1 for Geoff.

Also have a Spectra tank and no need to paint it. 

Ok, ok, stop shouting 😀. Spectra tank ordered from Rock Auto, gee!

Thanks, Steve
Ok, so that's a great start....... 

Here are a pic of my tank. I chose to add some 1/16" solid rubber so  that A) the tank would not be in contact with the pristine original trunk underside and B) to allow for some air flow around the top of the tank. This may or may not be relevant to your "creation"

IMG_1105.J1.PG.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure, but I had wanted to do this anyway, as maybe a way to isolate the electrification fuel pump noise/vib. Nice spacing. My vent opening is to become the fuel pump outlet, so I was thinking I may need more spacing, since two lines will be coming from this location. Test fitting will tell.

I reused my original tank, dents and all, when I restored my car. I was going to buy a new one, but the original was so clean inside that I decided to paint it… I used the Eastwood Fuel Tank Paint and it came out very nice IMO

615E7751-839A-4312-87BA-F8EA199F5CC4.jpeg

I really do not understand how people jack up cars by fuel tanks, radiator supports, the middle of the floors, etc... My car was at some point jacked up on the back of one of the floors, it just nuts. 

I reused my original tank, dents and all, when I restored my car. I was going to buy a new one, but the original was so clean inside that I decided to paint it… I used the Eastwood Fuel Tank Paint and it came out very nice IMO
Ken, everything on your car turned out very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once stopped a pair of women from jacking their car up on an incline without stands, with a cheap Walmart hydraulic jack, and they were going to jack the car up by the bottom of the fender. I feel like I saved a life that day!!

Back