Painting spoiler and back panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I have a Grabber Lime Boss 351. The added bonus is it has a Gear Vendor overdrive for added drive-ability.
I want to refinish by rear spoiler and back panel by fuel filler. The spoiler should be matte black right? What should be used for the black panel, the same matte black?

Thanks for the link. The Mach 1 has the honeycomb rear panel, the Boss is black. I am not sure how to paint it properly.

From exterior section at 429Megasite. 

"The rear spoiler was a factory option available on the Mach 1, Boss 351 and Sports roof. A low-gloss textured black paint was used on it from the factory. The diagram below shows the spoiler installation."

The black out on spoiler, TuTone hood and the area next to tail lights along with decor group got the same black. Never seen an exact match to my original. Here is my decor group original 73 showing the tail light black area. They painted the black first mask off and sprayed color. This was done for Mach 1 and Decor Group cars.

DSC_0257.JPG

The correct black paint formula is not available from PPG in Canada, but maybe in the US. The Ditzler/PPG number is 9381. ( Ford color chart for 1971 Mustang and others)

On my Mach 1, I used SEM Hot Rod Black. While not textured, it seems to be a good match and is standing up very well without the SEM Hot Rod Clear coat that is available over it. I did the hood black out and all the lower body with just 1 kit. However, if you're doing a Concours car, perhaps someone else can suggest a more authentic paint.

The correct black paint formula is not available from PPG in Canada, but maybe in the US. The Ditzler/PPG number is 9381. ( Ford color chart for 1971 Mustang and others)

On my Mach 1, I used SEM Hot Rod Black. While not textured, it seems to be a good match and is standing up very well without the SEM Hot Rod Clear coat that is available over it. I did the hood black out and all the lower body with just 1 kit. However, if you're doing a Concours car, perhaps someone else can suggest a more authentic paint.
Ok, I will check in to that it seems fine since I am certainly not trying to do a Concours car. Thanks.

Ok, I will check in to that it seems fine since I am certainly not trying to do a Concours car. Thanks.
   To do a full hood black-out as on the Boss, your painter will need to be careful not to waste any. There as only just enough in the kit to do a Mach. Alternatively he could mix the paint.

By the way, you have my dream car there, but I would settle for a Mach in Grabber Green. Long story, but the very first 71 I ever saw was Grabber Green, black interior, blackout hood, stripes and spoilers. It was love at first sight. I've had 4 Mach1's, two red and 2 pewter, but the GG one has eluded me.

Back