Painting wheel wells

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
OK, ya, I said no shows, but since I'm taking everything apart, I thought I might as well throw some paint on to spiff things up.

My question is after applying engine cleaner and power washing everything real well, 95% of the grime and gunk is gone, but some areas have some grease-looking residue. Should I find another solvent to apply and wash again, or just rub everything down with gasoline and pick up crocheting?

After it's all clean, can I just buy a case of Rustoleum Flat Black and (after taping and such) spray away, or should I do something else? As soon as I get the restoring books I'll probably find answers more easily, but we've got a nice weekend ahead here and I want to do something so it looks like I've done something. :D

Doc

I'd use something like pre-cleano to finish off the surface prep then hit it with your favorite rattle can. I'll be doing the same thing to the Mach1 and the coupe soon!

Eastwoods under hood black is pretty good match for under hood and wheel well areas if you looking for close to original. Im going to use it under the hood but I used rustoleum inside when I replaced my floors--and I'll likely use it in my wells--but I'm not shooting for "correct" but more functional.

Thanks, guys. I found that Rustoleum makes an actual Undercoating product that is a rubberized primer. I picked up a can of black at WalMart and it worked really well on one wheel well. I'll post a pic or two as soon as I get the other side done.

Doc

I think it did just fine for my application. The wheel wells look sharp, and there's no more visible rust. I'll be replacing coil springs, perches, upper and lower control arms, etc. so I didn't paint them. Thanks for the ideas.

L frt back wheel well before.JPG

L frt back wheel well after.JPG

L frt wheel well before.JPG

L frt wheel well after.JPG

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Back