Parking brake pedal - no cable tension

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseStang

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Vert
72 L-code Vert
Is the tension adjustment all in the spring that's connected to the cables going back to the wheels? Or does some of it come from the springs in the brakes? What should I use to lube the cable?

Screenshot_20210906-153649_Video Player.jpg

The cables should be lubricated from time to time with acid-free bicycle or sewing machine oil. WD 40 or gun oil have also proven effective here. Grease should not be used, because it gums up at some point and then nothing works.

Cheers Frank 

Check the hook between a bracket welded to the underside of the floor and the cable.  If the hook is missing, you won't have tension in the cable.  There is a spring (also under the floor) where the single cable attaches to the two cables to the rear drums.  Make sure that spring is not broken, and the tensioner is still providing tension.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe everything is still in place. When I pull the cable underneath, the slack is taken up by the pedal.

20210906_172017.jpg

20210906_171929.jpg

In the bottom picture of the spring and cable, that one nut is inside the connector and one outside.  Both nuts should be outside, so they can jam against themselves.  I am not in the shop right now, so I don't have the service manual handy, but I know there is an adjustment procedure in there, as  I just installed the entire braking system over the last 2 days.

Found a better pic.  How much compression is that spring supposed to have on it?  The more compressed, the less slack at the pedal, right?

176724893_955825871824802_8774824809721724141_n.jpg

What happens to the spring when you press on the brake pedal?  Does it move at all?  What can happen with these cables is that they corrode internally, causing the cable to swell in the sleeve.  The cable binds and can break when tension is applied if there is enough rust.  The end attached to the pedal could no longer be attached to the end with the spring, but there is enough rust that the tension on the spring is maintained. 

Found a better pic.  How much compression is that spring supposed to have on it?  The more compressed, the less slack at the pedal, right?
I see you have a convertible make sure the cables are free and clear of obstruction and are not frayed as they pass thru the seat reinforcement pans. 

20210911_003126.jpg

I've oiled the cable a few times,  still not returning fully. Has the spring just lost all of it's strength and needs to be replaced?  Here's a video showing the travel, but at the pedal I'm physically pulling the pedal back up. 

Moose's parking brake cable spring

With the rust on the spring, I'd say you have a lot of friction in the whole system from rust and dirt.  Start with the pivots on the pedal and start lubricating all of the pivot points and sleeves, even into the rear brakes. 

Back