Parking Brake Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found the switch in the box where it should be....
Does anyone know how is this switch supposed to attach to the stock parking brake lever?
No idea, but when you find out, I'm all ears and eyes.
Don C says the parking brake brackets are all the same, Read back his reply.
On mine, I was simply going to find the hot side on the purple/ white wire, splice into that, then splice the other wire to the idiot light side and hope it works. Hope so anyway, I don't want to get into relays, harness mods etc., just keep it simple.

No idea, but when you find out, I'm all ears and eyes.
Don C says the parking brake brackets are all the same, Read back his reply.
On mine, I was simply going to find the hot side on the purple/ white wire, splice into that, then splice the other wire to the idiot light side and hope it works. Hope so anyway, I don't want to get into relays, harness mods etc., just keep it simple.
@Don C , I understand the switch goes in the bracket but I can't find where. Do you or someone else would have a picture of how the switch is installed on the factory bracket?

Hey Tony,
The illustration shows the switch location held in place by a #10-24 x 1" screw. The second hole is for the locator/anti-rotation stud. The park brake pedal assembly and switch is the same for all ‘71-73s. For those looking for a switch; I know reasonable prices is now just a word in the dictionary, but since many vendors are showing no stock on this switch, it is still available from Ford. The Ford part# is F2UZ-15A851-A @$38.50 (slightly higher than NPD, OMS, RockAuto etc.) They can also be found on E-Bay when searching by the Ford #. :)

Attachments

• EB11924E-D2B6-417E-91FA-E43441D780AF.jpeg
    EB11924E-D2B6-417E-91FA-E43441D780AF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • AE1FA022-A24C-40FD-B4F6-0CCA50913C75.jpeg
    AE1FA022-A24C-40FD-B4F6-0CCA50913C75.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
Hey Tony,
The illustration shows the switch location held in place by a #10-24 x 1" screw. The second hole is for the locator/anti-rotation stud. The park brake pedal assembly and switch is the same for all ‘71-73s. For those looking for a switch; I know reasonable prices is now just a word in the dictionary, but since many vendors are showing no stock on this switch, it is still available from Ford. The Ford part# is F2UZ-15A851-A @$38.50 (slightly higher than NPD, OMS, RockAuto etc.) They can also be found on E-Bay when searching by the Ford #. :)
Thank you for such a detailed diagram.

Hey Tony,
I went under the dash and saw the elusive holes. They are way up there. That's probably why I never saw them and put the project in the back burner a few years back. I think I can install it but I will have to get my hands up there and work blind. Per the picture, the threaded hole does not appear to have a thread.

20220712_001414.jpg

I went under the dash and saw the elusive holes. They are way up there. That's probably why I never saw them and put the project in the back burner a few years back. I think I can install it but I will have to get my hands up there and work blind. Per the picture, the threaded hole does not appear to have a thread.

View attachment 65622
Well, this looks like it's going to suck. Starting to wonder if it's worth the effort.
Why the F didn't Ford just put the switch and warning light on ALL cars with this dumb ass parking brake?
Thanks for the update and pic. It's possible we may have to pull the brake/bracket out to do the job where it can be seen.

Attachments

• Stanglover1.pdf
    198.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Stanglover2.pdf
    123.4 KB · Views: 11
Even though a relay doesn't draw much current the current draw will draw the battery down enough in a week or so and it won't provide enough current to the starter for a seldom driven vehicle.
If you put the relay and switch downstream of the ignition switch that will not be a problem. As you would only want the light and the circuit working when the key was turned, when the car is off there would by NO current draw.

71Fast (Ken) let me know that there is an error on stanglover2.pdf. He has corrected it in the pdf below. It may or may not affect what we are trying to do, but I really appreciate him helping out with his knowledge.

Attachments

• Stanglover2.1.pdf
    141.6 KB · Views: 13
Last night I tried to get up there with a tap and broke the tap inside the hole. Since I still have the driver's side vent it is very difficult to get to it. Now I have no option than to remove the vent and the parking brake assembly to remove the broken tap and then tap the threads. I tried to shortcut but it didn't work. I guess this project will be tabled until the winter.

Tony, sorry to hear you had a problem with an already busy part of the under-dash area. Years ago, when I was.....younger, you could blindfold me, and I could work on anything under my dashboard. Now I don't believe I could do any of those same things even if the dashboard was out of the car and sitting in front of me on a workbench!
The 10-24 X 1" screw mentioned earlier is a Hex washer head self-tapping screw. Ford discontinued these screws in '79, but they should be an easy find at your local hardware store. If I remember correctly, Ford's new park brake controls were not threaded where the screw that retains the switch goes in.
I hope things go better when you decide to have a go at this again!

Attachments

• 15a851-f2uz-a5.jpg
    15a851-f2uz-a5.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 41360-s.png
    41360-s.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 4
Tony, sorry to hear you had a problem with an already busy part of the under-dash area. Years ago, when I was.....younger, you could blindfold me, and I could work on anything under my dashboard. Now I don't believe I could do any of those same things even if the dashboard was out of the car and sitting in front of me on a workbench!
The 10-24 X 1" screw mentioned earlier is a Hex washer head self-tapping screw. Ford discontinued these screws in '79, but they should be an easy find at your local hardware store. If I remember correctly, Ford's new park brake controls were not threaded where the screw that retains the switch goes in.
Thanks. Good information to have known. I thought it needed to be tapped. I dont think i can get the broken tap without removing the bracket.

Last night I tried to get up there with a tap and broke the tap inside the hole. Since I still have the driver's side vent it is very difficult to get to it. Now I have no option than to remove the vent and the parking brake assembly to remove the broken tap and then tap the threads. I tried to shortcut but it didn't work. I guess this project will be tabled until the winter.
Well, that really sucks Tony. I guess Ford only considered it worth the expense to tap that hole IF the switch was optioned.
Thanks for the heads up though, Now I know I'm not in a rush to fix this minor issue, which is brain failure mostly! Maybe we should just hang a flag or something over the steering wheel to remind us the p/brake is on. Now, that's a thought!!

Good thought to use a self tapper. 10-24 is course thread anyway so as long as the metal isn't too thick, a self-tapping screw will work just fine.

Reporting back on this topic. Last night I completed the project of adding the switch and connecting it to the Brake light. Removing the parking brake bracket takes time but doable from underneath the panel (sans seat). I removed the tap that I had broken, finish tapping and installed the switch. I tapped on the purple/white wire going to the instrument cluster and now the lights turns on when the parking brake pedal is depressed. Exactly what I wanted. I am glad you started this thread so I reminded myself on completing a project that was in my list for a long time.

I've read all the previous posts with interest; having driven with the parking brake on more times then I care to admit! If you have time, a diagram and parts needed for this project would be much appreciated.

I've read all the previous posts with interest; having driven with the parking brake on more times then I care to admit! If you have time, a diagram and parts needed for this project would be much appreciated.
You just need this:
https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=1135
As far as wiring. The switch has a spade connector. Mine came with a wire and a female connector. If you want it to work with your brake lights, you will have to extend said wire from the switch to the purple/white wire (circuit 977). You can find this wire in several locations: the connector to the instrument cluster (behind the instrument cluster) or on the connector to the ignition by the steering column. Either point should work. Or another alternative is to extend the wire from the parking brake switch out through the firewall to the purple/white wire connecting the switch on the brake proportioning valve.

Back