Parking Brake Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a potential ignorant question, did all 71-73’s come with this capability, as in, have the wiring there waiting for a switch? As I remember, my 73 has a green wire with a female spade connector at the end of it, hanging by the parking brake assembly. Just wondering.

For a potential ignorant question, did all 71-73’s come with this capability, as in, have the wiring there waiting for a switch? As I remember, my 73 has a green wire with a female spade connector at the end of it, hanging by the parking brake assembly. Just wondering.
I don't know if all of them, but in the wiring diagram there is circuit 162 which goes in between the parking brake switch and parking brake warning lamp (lt. green-red dotted). I also have this wire you refer to but my car doesn't have the warning lamp. So in my case I decided to use the same lamp that turns on when there is a pressure imbalance at the proportioning valve, which is fed by circuit 977 (purple/white). This is the brake lamp in the instrument cluster.

Is the indicator in the instrument cluster? I think mine has the clock on the left with the Alt, Temp, Oil, and Brakes idiot lights, and Speedo on the right; center fuel gauge. If I purchased the switch, and connected that wire, would my brake idiot light be laminated with my parking brake engaged?

Is the indicator in the instrument cluster? I think mine has the clock on the left with the Alt, Temp, Oil, and Brakes idiot lights, and Speedo on the right; center fuel gauge. If I purchased the switch, and connected that wire, would my brake idiot light be laminated with my parking brake engaged?
I don't know if all of them, but in the wiring diagram there is circuit 162 which goes in between the parking brake switch and parking brake warning lamp (lt. green-red dotted). I also have this wire you refer to but my car doesn't have the warning lamp. So in my case I decided to use the same lamp that turns on when there is a pressure imbalance at the proportioning valve, which is fed by circuit 977 (purple/white). This is the brake lamp in the instrument cluster.
40+ years of ownership and I never knew what that factory wire connector was till now. My 72 did not have the parking brake warning light but it soon will! Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230127_191211.jpg
    20230127_191211.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Look at this thread. There are a few picture of the indicator lamp. It would have been located next to the light switch.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/71-73-parking-brake-warning-light-lens-bezel.387669/1674929433630.png1674929421644.png

Back