Parking brake warning light for a 71?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still, the focus here is to find a reminder for when I (and apparently others) leave the stupid parking brake on.  I'm liking the buzzer idea the more I think about and from other comments about not noticing the light.

Geoff.
Please feel free to install my MIL, as she'll let you know immediately if you do anything stupid.  I'll even ship her out to you at no charge to you in addition to no charge for the MIL.  Please.
Pictures please... rofl

Still, the focus here is to find a reminder for when I (and apparently others) leave the stupid parking brake on.  I'm liking the buzzer idea the more I think about and from other comments about not noticing the light.

Geoff.
Please feel free to install my MIL, as she'll let you know immediately if you do anything stupid.  I'll even ship her out to you at no charge to you in addition to no charge for the MIL.  Please.
Pictures please... rofl
As requested...

Pictures please... rofl
As requested...
If I get stared at like that I will definitely remember to release the parking brake. That may be also a solution for the turn signal reminder issue I posted a few weeks ago.

lollerz

Pictures please... rofl
As requested...
If I get stared at like that I will definitely remember to release the parking brake. That may be also a solution for the turn signal reminder issue I posted a few weeks ago.

lollerz
Tony, that is NOT MIL...That is Randy last Halloween, he got to keep all the candy his wife told him to hand out to the neighborhood kids :whistling:

You guys are just way too funny, love it!! :D

Glad you're having fun at my expense. I think after all this, I don't need to do anything to remind me other than think of these posts.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are just way too funny, love it!! :D

Glad you're having fun at my expense. I think after all this, I don't need to do anything to remind me other than think of these posts.

Geoff.
Sorry. I forgot what we were originally talking about :p
 We were originally talking about the dumbass foot parking brake. Makes little sense on an auto trans and even less on a manual trans.

Of course the latest idea is an electronic parking brake, but that's on an automatic trans only as far as I know. Hand brake rule!!! :D

BTW, I just bought one of those switches. I will try to make it work with the brake light. That light is dead for me now since the Wildwood MC I bought doesnt have a provision for a brake light.

BTW, I just bought one of those switches. I will try to make it work with the brake light. That light is dead for me now since the Wildwood MC I bought doesnt have a provision for a brake light.
 I would definitely like to have the brake failure warning light working on mine as well, had to disconnect it when I installed my SSBC front discs with a separate rear bias valve, but without going back to a one-piece distribution block, I don't know a way it can be done.

Are we talking about the same thing right now? I was originally looking to connect that dash light to the parking brake so when Dumbass forgets to release it, there is a visual warning. Others have suggested many things, some realistic others not so much ( Midlife!!)

All in all, we had some fun with this. Now all I have to do is find the best solution...…… and a switch.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and amusement,

Geoff.

I would definitely like to have the brake failure warning light working on mine as well, had to disconnect it when I installed my SSBC front discs with a separate rear bias valve, but without going back to a one-piece distribution block, I don't know a way it can be done.

Are we talking about the same thing right now? I was originally looking to connect that dash light to the parking brake so when Dumbass forgets to release it, there is a visual warning. Others have suggested many things, some realistic others not so much ( Midlife!!)

All in all, we had some fun with this. Now all I have to do is find the best solution...…… and a switch.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and amusement,

Geoff.
Yeah. Same here. I have the Willwood distribution block that doesn't have a provision for a brake failure warning light so I will try using the idiot brake light to indicate that the parking brake is on. Now, back to the brake failure warning light. I am toying with this idea. I am thinking if I could add a master cylinder cap with a level sensor such as this, https://www.wilwood.com/hardware/HardwareProd?itemno=330-12645. This would warn if there is a failure when the fluid is empty. The problem is that I am using the Willwood MC that has the big oval aluminum cover (https://www.wilwood.com/hardware/HardwareProd?itemno=330-8573). So I will have to mod this cover to accept a cap with a level sensor and then connect it to the idiot light. I think it is doable. On the other hand, depending what MC you have it may be easier to make it fit.

If you're interested, I believe I can design a simple logic circuit using two brake pressure (light) switches and three small relays. It could either be momentary, and just come on when the brake pedal is pressed and one side shows a fault, or stay on until reset.

If you're interested, I believe I can design a simple logic circuit using two brake pressure (light) switches and three small relays. It could either be momentary, and just come on when the brake pedal is pressed and one side shows a fault, or stay on until reset.
I don't know if we are thinking the same, but at some point I thought I could use the signal from the brake pedal and the pressure sensor on the Wilwood combination valve. If there is a signal from the brake pedal and no signal from the pressure signal then the idiot light should light up. There may have to be a slight delay of milliseconds so the idiot light is not trigger too early. I don't know if this is what you were thinking.

Interesting thoughts indeed, but a bit over my head. I think logically, not electronically. I don't have my car home right now, painting the garage floor this week, but when I get that done, I'll be able to look into a solution that works for me. There's been some great ideas as I said previously. I'll post what I do later, but in the mean time, I'm all 'ears' for other ideas.

Geoff.

I'll post what I do later, but in the mean time, I'm all 'ears' for other ideas.

Geoff.
Oh, my MIL will take care of your ears.  She's very good at biting them off every moment she gets....

She's still available if anyone is interested.

I don't know if we are thinking the same, but at some point I thought I could use the signal from the brake pedal and the pressure sensor on the Wilwood combination valve. If there is a signal from the brake pedal and no signal from the pressure signal then the idiot light should light up. There may have to be a slight delay of milliseconds so the idiot light is not trigger too early. I don't know if this is what you were thinking.
Yes, that is exactly the same, just using two different sources. And yes, I thought about the timing of both switches. I thought about using a time delay relay for triggering the dash light. Just using three normal relays would often result in momentary blips of the dash light. A time delay relay would be essential if a latching relay were used for triggering the dash light, and keeping it on. I believe the latching relay could be set up to either stay on until it was manualy reset, or to reset every time the ignition switch is turned off. The second scenario would be my preferred. A simple time delay circuit could also be used instead of a time delay relay.

Yes, that is exactly the same, just using two different sources. And yes, I thought about the timing of both switches. I thought about using a time delay relay for triggering the dash light. Just using three normal relays would often result in momentary blips of the dash light. A time delay relay would be essential if a latching relay were used for triggering the dash light, and keeping it on. I believe the latching relay could be set up to either stay on until it was manualy reset, or to reset every time the ignition switch is turned off. The second scenario would be my preferred. A simple time delay circuit could also be used instead of a time delay relay.
How difficult will it be to design such a circuit? I agree, I like the idea of reset when ignition is turned off.

Very easy, miniature single pole double throw relays could be used from the two brake switches. I haven't researched time delay relays, but I'm guessing they can be small also. The same for a latching relay, I believe they can be small also. It's been a while since I used either time delay or latching relays, and then they were for carrying large loads.

I believe I've seen latching relays for Arduino circuits, but they likely use 5 volt coils.

Another thought, by using the mechanical brake light switch and a pressure switch, only a failure in the brake circuit (front or rear) that the pressure switch is connected to would trigger the warning light.

Another thought, by using the mechanical brake light switch and a pressure switch, only a failure in the brake circuit (front or rear) that the pressure switch is connected to would trigger the warning light.
 Yeah, good point. In these combination valves the pressure switch is in the front circuit, which technically speaking is the most important. I still would like to have an warning when the fluid level is low because it is not easy to remove the cover of the Wilwood MC. I wish it had a window or indicator.

Back