Parts Reviews - NPD Concours Fuel Tank Kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 convertible
I just purchased the NPD fuel tank kit and thought others might find a comparison to original parts useful.  The kit contains the fuel tank, mounting straps, bolts for the straps, fuel gauge sender, seal for the filler neck, filler neck trunk seal, screws for the trunk seal, seal for the fuel cap and screws for the fuel cap.  I selected the option for flip cap. 

First the tank.  The tank is manufactured in Canada and is a very close reproduction of the original, at least compared to the pair from '71 convertibles I have on hand.  There are two main areas that are different.  First is there are creases in the seams around the tank to allow the tank to fit into the space under the trunk.  The creases in the new tank are not as crisp as the original tanks, and they are a bit wider.  The second difference is less noticeable, and that is the size of the retaining tangs on the openings for the fuel sender and the return line.  Finish is great, and the tank comes with a gasket and retaining ring for one of the openings.

The straps on the other hand, are not even close.  The ends look correct, but the welds aren't in the same place or the same size.  The shape of the straps is way off as well.  Originals have curves to fit the contours of the tank, where the new parts have bends.  Using these will take some work to shape them correctly, which will damage the surface and paint.  I plan to refinish a good pair of originals and use those instead.

The fuel sender looks very good.  The only difference is the color of the plastic connector housing - original on my tanks is black, the sender is white.  My sender came with another gasket, but not a retaining ring, so the whole setup is short one ring.  I have not followed up with NPD to see if that is intended or an oversight.

The bolts and screws in the kit are all from AMK products.  I have been using AMK stuff elsewhere and have found them to be pretty accurate in markings and finishes on the fasteners I have purchased from them before.   These are no different.  They look great.

20170329_200603.jpg

20170329_200609.jpg

20170329_200616.jpg

20170329_200622.jpg

20170329_200647.jpg

20170329_200651.jpg

20170329_200654.jpg

20170329_204109.jpg

20170329_204122.jpg

20170329_204143.jpg

20170329_204211.jpg

Mike, that's very interesting info. I too bought the same tank and sender, but I got them through RockAuto for much less cash and shipping to Canada. (Yes it is made in Canada, but I could buy it way cheaper in the US and ship it!!). I did not buy the straps as the underside of my car is like it was made yesterday and the straps just need a coat of paint. The sender did have the lock ring kit and the tank had 2 kits with it, although I have to admit as they were stuck to the bottom end of the tank when I pulled it out of the box, I missed them and thinking they were missing, I called RockAuto and they sent another ring kit. Oh well, I have a spare now!

I now need to go to NPD and buy the 3/8" SS fuel lines as I'm replacing the entire fuel system. Oh! I also bought a Delphi (multi-fuel) fuel pump along with the tank and sender.

PS **watch for extra sharp corners, edges and weld flash on the tank**

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write up.  Do they advertise it as 'concours'?  If they do I would expect it to be closer to original.
Yes, they do advertise concours for some of their parts.  Some parts are closer than others.  I have a few more reviews coming up - on their horns, some wiring, hoses and the like.

Mike, that's very interesting info. I too bought the same tank and sender, but I got them through RockAuto for much less cash and shipping to Canada. (Yes it is made in Canada, but I could buy it way cheaper in the US and ship it!!). I did not buy the straps as the underside of my car is like it was made yesterday and the straps just need a coat of paint. The sender did have the lock ring kit and the tank had 2 kits with it, although I have to admit as they were stuck to the bottom end of the tank when I pulled it out of the box, I missed them and thinking they were missing, I called RockAuto and they sent another ring kit. Oh well, I have a spare now!

I now need to go to NPD and buy the 3/8" SS fuel lines as I'm replacing the entire fuel system. Oh! I also bought a Delphi (multi-fuel) fuel pump along with the tank and sender.

The NPD kit only had one retaining ring and gasket.  The sender came with just an o-ring, so I am short a retainer.  And no doubt about those edges!

The NPD kit only had one retaining ring and gasket.  The sender came with just an o-ring, so I am short a retainer.  And no doubt about those edges!
 A lot of stuff NPD sell does not always reflect the manufacture. I bought the Spectra sending unit (with the tank) and I got the lock ring with it. Did you check NPD if they sell the lock ring kit separately? I'd be questioning it for sure regardless.

I'm not ready just yet to put the tank in, still a bit cold in garage, but soooon!!!

Back