PCV Hose 351C

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Has anyone used the Daniel Carpenter  or Scott Drake repop PCV hose for the 351??  I need one for the yellow mustang im working on and the one they say should fit looks different. The repop one has a 90* molded bend and the rest is straight.  The one on the car has a 90* bend then another one at the end where it goes to carb.  Just wasn't sure if the repop will bend like that with out kinking??

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=351+Cleveland+pcv+hose&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Has anyone used the Daniel Carpenter  or Scott Drake repop PCV hose for the 351??  I need one for the yellow mustang im working on and the one they say should fit looks different. The repop one has a 90* molded bend and the rest is straight.  The one on the car has a 90* bend then another one at the end where it goes to carb.  Just wasn't sure if the repop will bend like that with out kinking??

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=351+Cleveland+pcv+hose&_sacat=0&_sop=15
I have that one but never installed it. I think I would have had to cut it to make it work? I can’t remember but it was really expensive so I just stuck it in a box for now. Sorry I even bought it really.

Kevin, I see you'll be putting on a Quick Fuel carb. I'm just wondering if the PCV tube is the same location as the Holley 670 I have, i.e. in the front. No the back connection is for brake booster, I checked!

Here are a couple of pics of mine. the first is how I had it originally with the tube cutting across the front. I also had to add another piece for the bend into the carb.

Next I built up a solid steel tube routing behind the carb and around the right side into the PCV inlet.

I thought about just a long rubber tube, but it look cheap, so I took a length of 3/8" fuel line and bent it to fit, then slipped the spring thing over it just for looks. Hard to get the paint to stick though.

See what you think.

Also, what carb is that you're putting on? I may bump up to a QF HR730 (I think that's the one, need to check)

Geoff.

PS: here's what I did for my fuel line from the pump, again 3/8". This is not your car, so you might not want to go this far, but thought you'd consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is located in the back of carb in about same place as stock. I have the stock one on it now but its just old and not the prettiest.... so I was gonna replace it. but the aftermarket one that claims to be correct doesn't look like this one??

This one is located in the back of carb in about same place as stock. I have the stock one on it now but its just old and not the prettiest.... so I was gonna replace it. but the aftermarket one that claims to be correct doesn't look like this one??
 That's understandable. As you know, it's very important to have the right PCV valve and a tube with the preformed bend in it is necessary. Problem is they're way too short to reach the back.

Interesting that the QF has the PCV at the back. Like I said, I'm considering switching to a QF just to get a bit more cfm without overdoing it. When I bought the Holley 670 Street Avenger, I thought the PCV was at the back as one would expect, but on a Holley video it was shown to be in the front. How dumb is that!!

Glad you checked to be sure.

Geoff.

Just thought I'd double check that about location. The instruction sheet shows it in the front, so I'm correct on that, BUT I also found a YouTube video by an "expert" in which he shows the PCV actually under the vacuum secondary mechanism. Supposed to be a 670? BUT he had no idea what the extra port was in the front next to the small vacuum line, some Expert!

Also the quick amongst you may have noted I keep writing "PVC" Must have plastic on my mind!!! sorry, but it's hopefully now corrected.

My Quick Fuel carb has pcv connection in front and brake booster in back. I have a Blue Thunder intake manifold and aftermarket valve covers, so my connections are a bit different from factory. But I did connect brake booster to the back port and I capped the front. I connected the pcv hose to an empty port on the intake manifold. It ran great and the small weep of an oil leak it had really slowed down. I did try a couple different pcv’s and went with one that worked the best. My engine was already modified, so the stock one probably may or may not work anyway. I definitely had it running the best and leaking the least since I owned it, and then my front end got into a fight with a telephone pole. The pole won. :huh:

My Quick Fuel carb has pcv connection in front and brake booster in back. I have a Blue Thunder intake manifold and aftermarket valve covers, so my connections are a bit different from factory. But I did connect brake booster to the back port and I capped the front. I connected the pcv hose to an empty port on the intake manifold. It ran great and the small weep of an oil leak it had really slowed down. I did try a couple different pcv’s and went with one that worked the best. My engine was already modified, so the stock one probably may or may not work anyway. I definitely had it running the best and leaking the least since I owned it, and then my front end got into a fight with a telephone pole. The pole won. :huh:
QF, PCV at the front! Not surprised being as QF are basically Holley's but better.

Here’s a pic of the hose on the car. Not even close to the one they are saying is supposed to be on here but it looks stock to me. Also this quick fuel carb has pcv nipple at rear.  

PCV at the back. Confirmed! Perhaps depends on the model as to the location of the port. What model QF was you installed?

Interesting stuff and something to be aware of.

That hose you have looks the same as an old one that was on my car when I bought it 10 years ago. BUT as a PO had put a Holley 670 on the car, obviously he had the PCV on the wrong port!!

Hmmm.... I have the same but the 735. I don’t really remember mine saying that, but like it says, it doesn’t matter as long as they are separate. Now I remember why I didn’t use the front port for the pcv, it’s on quite an angle and was worried that a hose would collapse from the sharp angle. So what I mean is it doesn’t come straight out from the front of the carb base, it’s angled toward the passenger side of the engine. I couldn’t come up with anything at the time so I just connected directly to the manifold. Not right but like I said it worked.

Ok I just checked my instructions for my carb and it says the same. The back can be use for either just not together.

Hmmm.... I have the same but the 735. I don’t really remember mine saying that, but like it says, it doesn’t matter as long as they are separate. Now I remember why I didn’t use the front port for the pcv, it’s on quite an angle and was worried that a hose would collapse from the sharp angle. So what I mean is it doesn’t come straight out from the front of the carb base, it’s angled toward the passenger side of the engine. I couldn’t come up with anything at the time so I just connected directly to the manifold. Not right but like I said it worked.

Ok I just checked my instructions for my carb and it says the same. The back can be use for either just not together.
That's why I shaped the steel tube the way it is. It works well.

Just because it's a Holley doesn't mean they are all the same.

Here is a 4160 PN O-8007.

And here is a 4160 PN O-80457 or O-1850

Quite right Don, they're ALL different it seems, no consistency between models, Very confusing. I guess the best and only true way is read the instructions for the model bought.

Back