pedal heights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digithead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 351C-4V 4BBL 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE White
This may be dumb question but it bugs me. Should me two pedals, clutch and brake, be closer is position off the floor. Look at photo. Doesnt show really well but clutch pedal is about 2 inches higher (closer to steering wheel) then the brake. Is there any adjustment or remedy to that, or is it just normal? Both work fine. For the record MARTI says car was built as a Auto so someone put 4 speed in it albeit they did a really nice job.

pedals.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't have a stick so i can't compare. but did u or someone change p/b sys ?? u can look for an adjustable shaft to lengthen the length and that will

bring up the peddle.

The pedals on my factory '71 Grande with PB and toploader

are offset about 1.5 inches.

My mechanic says this offset is standard for cars of these years

and also applies to GM vehicles.

mike

I have mine set high like that on purpose......... short leg syndrome!! Mine is also about 1.5" higher than the brake pedal.

There is a rubber bump-stop which, if I remember can be set (or changed). I actually cut mine down so the pedal would be higher so I have enough travel to get the clutch in before I run out of leg. Also the adjustment on the push rod at the clutch fork will alter the height of the pedal. Be careful here though so you keep the correct free-play. There is no other adjustment that I am aware of. Also you may want to check to see if the BIG helper spring has been removed IF you clutch is a newer diaphragm style. If not get it removed VERY CAREFULLY!! You only need this helper spring for a long style clutch. I thought about putting a turn buckle in the rod between the Z bar and pedal arm, but didn't do it. Maybe another option. Hope that give you something to go on.

Stanglover

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all, its not really causing a issue just looks weird to me. But it Fords of this era are like that its fine by me. Sure dont need them CLOSER as I am 6'5" and most of its all leg LOL. Funny how we all have different problems. Pushing clutch to the FLOOR is not one of mine. I made custom seat rails and moved them back 4" over stock.

I am pretty positive there was a federal standard for the pedals back then. Either Federal or SAE, Society of Automotive Engineers. I went to the current standard for "Hydraulic and Electric Brake Systems, Standard No. 105. here is link. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.105

How they can write so much into a standard is amazing. Everything on a vehicle has a Federal standard so imagine trying to meet all of them to get a vehicle to market. That is why everything costs so much all the regulation.

Don't expect anyone to read it all but just to show you what is required. Not as much in the 70's but they still had standards to meet. You can't just build a car like you want to.

Back