Pertronix Ignitor II with Factory Tach

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoot302

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mach 1
'72 Mach 1
I installed the Pertronix Ignitor II conversion in my distributor and have been having trouble getting my factory tach to read accurately. I installed it following Wolverine's wiring diagram (http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-pertronix-wiring-diagram-for-tach-equipped-fords) but the tach was still jumping around. I called Pertronix and they told me to take out the Flamethrower 2 ignition coil I had in there and replace it with a "stock coil or a coil with the same primary resistance as stock".

So today I went down to the auto parts store and picked up 2 coils. The stock one they had:

(http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=ECHIC10_0359708477)

Which has a 1.5 ohms primary resistance and 24,000 max voltage.

I also picked up a Flamethrower I that has a 1.5 ohms primary resistance and 40,000 max voltage.

I then tested them both out and each gave me the same results. The tach read smoothly with no jumping. However when I hooked up the timing gun to read actual RPM the tach was off. This is what it read:

Tach: 1,000 / Actual: 2,500

Tach: 2,000 / Actual: 3,300

Tach: 4,000 / Actual: 4,000

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might do from here or where I went wrong?

Might you have a spare P2? Or, perhaps someone near you may have a spare you can swap out.

I have scoped a pair of P2's. The signal to the coil is interesting to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a spare on hand. Do you really think that might be the issue? I was wondering if the problem might be with the tach it's self.

I started with the Pertronix Ignitor III and Flamethrower coil, with a direct 12V connection, never could get he stock tac to function correctly plus had some starting issues. Did some rewiring tac functioned but was way off, finally went to the Petronix l and stock coil, using the original resistor wire....problems resolve with the tac, even started better, much better. You loose some of the functions the Ignitor lll offers over the l but do you really need them?

I started with the Pertronix Ignitor III and Flamethrower coil, with a direct 12V connection, never could get he stock tac to function correctly plus had some starting issues. Did some rewiring tac functioned but was way off, finally went to the Petronix l and stock coil, using the original resistor wire....problems resolve with the tac, even started better, much better. You loose some of the functions the Ignitor lll offers over the l but do you really need them?

I might as well go pick up an Ignitor I and see if that helps. Do you still need the 12v bypass wire with the I1 like the I2?

I don't have a spare on hand. Do you really think that might be the issue? I was wondering if the problem might be with the tach it's self.
1. Can you confirm you are getting 6V to the coil and 12V to the Pertronix?

2. You can always put in original points and see what happens.

3. With points I never had a tach issue regardless of the coil. You just have to be sure you are getting 6 volts at the points and the coil.

1. Can you confirm you are getting 6V to the coil and 12V to the Pertronix?

2. You can always put in original points and see what happens.

3. With points I never had a tach issue regardless of the coil. You just have to be sure you are getting 6 volts at the points and the coil.
I believe I was getting the right voltage when I tested it during the initial install. I have a new set of points so I will check the voltage again and test with points on Monday.

I might as well go pick up an Ignitor I and see if that helps. Do you still need the 12v bypass wire with the I1 like the I2?
You don't need the 12V bypass wire with the Petronix 1, you should use the resistor wire from the Tac, the Petronix 1 doesn't need the full 12Volts.

Jim

many yrs ago i did pertronix in mine. all i replaced was the points. used orig coil, resistor wire to feed everything and tach worked fine. and ran fine for 5 yrs until i sold it.

That has been my experience as well. I am very interested to hear from others. My understanding is that the resistor wire was designed to limit the current to the points and coil to prevent them from burning out.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if keeping the resistor wire protects the P1 from burning out?
Just don’t leave the key in the run position without the engine running for very long. You can have the key in the accessories position with no problem. I have the P1 in my car and have had no issues.

Just another guy here, running the Pertronix 1 everyday, no problems and tach works fine. I had been running fine with the original P1, thought i'd update to the Pertronix 3, ran for 15 minutes ,then died on freeway. Went home on a flatbed tow, put the pertronix 1 back in,started right up, threw the #3 in the trash, and never looked back.

Just another guy here, running the Pertronix 1 everyday, no problems and tach works fine. I had been running fine with the original P1, thought i'd update to the Pertronix 3, ran for 15 minutes ,then died on freeway. Went home on a flatbed tow, put the pertronix 1 back in,started right up, threw the #3 in the trash, and never looked back.
Spike, not sure what is wrong with the 3. Sounds like they sold you the one I returned. For more than a year as I tried to get my car running and broke in, the thing would run for 5 minutes and shut down. Eventually it got to where I had to hunt and hunt with the timing to even get the thing to fire, nevertheless start. I put the points in and she has not had an issue since. Yep, the 3 is junk, and I don’t trust Pertronix at all.

Kcmash

Back