Pictures of neglect, my 73 coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'll just bet you will be pleasantly surprised by the rust not being too bad, after all its a cali car so i'm hoping the structural areas will be solid just surface. Keep us posted and were pulling for you.

Well, today is the day that it comes home with me, RUST and all! I knew it was rusty, and although I was being optimistic, the reality is that the entire trunk has basically rotted away. It barely stays closed, since the trunk latch bracket is no longer attached to the floor, which is basically gone. What looks like the floor is actually the gas tank!

Lower rear fender wells also have holes, and there's rust beneath the rear window trim. Not to mention the tail light panel and trunk lid. Cleaning this area, I was worried I might give myself lockjaw!

I put the new used tires on and it rolls, so the brakes aren't frozen, but the brake pedal sticks down. I also cleaned out the thousands of twigs, sticks and hay particles in the engine bay. Some of that stuff was CAKED onto the intake, valve cover, etc. I don't want to know what it was that was the "glue" holding those nests together. Ewwwww.

I have not checked the floorboards yet, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope for them, considering the condition of the rear of the car. In fact, once I got a look at the trunk, I started to wonder what I'm actually going to do with this thing. Anyway, I'm still gonna get it home, clean it up as best I can, and dig in to see what it needs. I may not end up keeping it, but since this was my car during college, I really wanted to revisit it and have that closure.

After washing the moss, grime and dirt off the car, it's really straight and much cleaner than I thought. The rust is one thing that will need to be dealt with, but it's a very complete, unmolested original car with only around 75k miles on it. It's never had a motor swap, really not messed with at all, other than what the elements have done over the last 14-15 years of sitting.

Up next is a vacuum and cleaning of the interior, and we're going to see if the engine turns. It wont start, but worth seeing what happens. Then it's onto the trailer and back home.

I'll be able to post pictures when I get home. My stepdad helped me out quite a lot, and it's been a good bonding experience. We spent the night afterwards in deep debates about life, etc. All in all it's been a good weekend trip to my folks' place.

Always fun pretending that the water sheeting off the car is actually a clear coat. [emoji3]

e9bcc3a9ae513fe33b45f4bab2ad8fa4.jpg
a45a5c689eeb06a0281a4c88038adf23.jpg
cdce816d5da27202013b8a7cc5d206b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40148de1bce96bc13a657b45ff7e41df.jpg
e735ab732d45786f67296e0e1417b36a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Concur the concerns you have and expressed in your text. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, back in a day. Have you seen the pics and stories on my photo album? Someway, it has leaked out to my highschool alum and found suppose to have @ 160 more friends than I thought I had, back in my day. Whether the stories brought about sympathizers and or those that....lollerzlollerz or those that only only became my friendsor even further looked at in an overzealous or jealous sense...,this so long after....as a matter of being looked at, now keeping up with the Jones, per se, still glad I did not come straight out and enlisted onto the alumni site. Though, like the color....did not believe there ever was such a body color a white - an alternative to Wimbeldon White . Found my color, a crème color in the Ford Mustang 1995 Special White, though.

Well, I think as may have been predicted by some, this is more that I want to take on at this point. So the car is for sale, first reasonable offer taker it home. Hoping to get $1200.

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh, most every Mustang owner regrets selling their car!

Aw bummer. Hopefully, you'll be able to find a better starting point and keep the dream alive. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed. I've had some interest in the car, someone is coming tonight to look at it. I'll probably have to GIVE it away with all the rust it's got in the trunk. Oh well.

Back