Pitted roof... Best way to fill?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Base 6 cylinder, and 72 Base 351C
My car had a vinyl roof, and has done the typical rust job on the car. I am leaving the vinyl top off, and just going to paint the roof. It has some pretty decent pitting in spots on top. There is actually a section in the side that has a couple of spots rusted thru, and just a couple scattered pinholes on top. I will weld in some fresh metal on the side, but wasn't sure the best way to smooth the top. after I sand/wirewheel the top good, what is the best thing to use to fill the pitting? Prob 1/2 the top has some scattered pitting, so will almost need to skim over the whole thing. Any recommendations on what to use here? Thanks! Earl

2017-12-18 20.40.43.jpg

I am by no means a bodyman, but I think this is where you use a high build epoxy primer and block sanding.  The high build primer is used to take those imperfections out that are too thin to putty over..  

Not sure if a skim coat of super light body filler would be a good start before the primer or not.

kcmash

I would de-oxidise any bare metal area where rust has been then a skim coat of body filler using a ruler to level it

You could also try a polyester primer but make sure it is okay on bare metal or epoxy prime underneath

Either way don't forget to sand with 36 or 80 grit prior to filler to key it in

I found a portable media blaster who used a soda media to blast all of the rust off. Next, I used Ospho to finish up killing off any residual rust. Let sit for 24 hours.

All-Metal® Specialty Body Filler.

http://uschem.com/index.cfm?page=productDetail&id=54

All-Metal Review You-Tube

See what you think of this product.

Mustang7173

My 71 was surface rusted on the top surfaces from the hood molding to the quarter end caps. I DA'd the rust down and then used SEM's Rust Mort, applied per the directions. To fill the pitting, I used a high build 2K urethane primer and regular body filler as needed. I did use All Metal in some places and it worked very well. If you're going to apply the filler right to the metal, make sure it's a product that is designed for direct to metal application.

I found a portable media blaster who used a soda media to blast all of the rust off. Next, I used Ospho to finish up killing off any residual rust. Let sit for 24 hours.

All-Metal® Specialty Body Filler.

http://uschem.com/index.cfm?page=productDetail&id=54

All-Metal Review You-Tube

Had a look at the all metal and has its place but due to lack of flexibility it is prone to cracking so wouldn't use it on a large area or where flexing is an issue

Be interesting to hear members experience with it though

After you strip the roof down. Buy a gallon of 911 rust remover. It is a concentrate and will make 16 gallons. Wet paper towels with the 911 (after you dilute it). Once wet put on rusted ares and cover with saran wrap. This will keep the area wet. After about 24 hours the rust should be gone. You may half to do it twice. Look at the rust 911 website there is also a method which has continous flow. Once the rust is gone prime with southern polyurethane epoxy primer. Then follow up with southern poyurethane high fill primer and sand. Then you should be fine

Back