Places For Engine Re-Build Suggestions [HELP]

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlaw415

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C
Hello,

My father and I recently acquired a 1973 Mustang Mach 1 equipped with a 351 Cleveland that's been stored for almost two decades in a garage in San Francisco, CA where we are also located, an urban barn find of sorts. After countless hours of inspecting the vehicle, working on it ourselves, subsequently taking it to multiple shops, and having some gear head friends of ours have a gander, we've come to the conclusion that, unfortunately, it may be time to have the engine sent in and rebuilt. This being the case, our next obstacle is to find the right people and place to have the engine worked on. So far, we've spoken with the kind folks over at Mabbco in Tyler, TX, but want to keep our options open.

My question is if any of you have any recommendations on businesses or individuals who are reputable, efficient, reasonably priced, and all around good people. We are located in California, however we are of course open to freighting the engine out of state, although closer the better.

Please let me know if you have any leads!

Thank you!

Hello,

My father and I recently acquired a 1973 Mustang Mach 1 equipped with a 351 Cleveland that's been stored for almost two decades in a garage in San Francisco, CA where we are also located, an urban barn find of sorts. After countless hours of inspecting the vehicle, working on it ourselves, subsequently taking it to multiple shops, and having some gear head friends of ours have a gander, we've come to the conclusion that, unfortunately, it may be time to have the engine sent in and rebuilt. This being the case, our next obstacle is to find the right people and place to have the engine worked on. So far, we've spoken with the kind folks over at Mabbco in Tyler, TX, but want to keep our options open.

My question is if any of you have any recommendations on businesses or individuals who are reputable, efficient, reasonably priced, and all around good people. We are located in California, however we are of course open to freighting the engine out of state, although closer the better.

Thank you!
Try contacting Billy Ray Morgan (661-342-6154, [email protected]). He is a Cleveland guru and very honest. He ported my 4V heads, but he also does a lot of engine rebuild work. As a bonus he is out of Stallion Springs, CA.

Hello,

Thank you!
Paul’s Empire Head in Santa Rosa, very good shop not far.

There's a place local to me called Carolina machine engines who work wonders. I'm sure if you arrange for shipping, they'll take care of you.

Congratulations on your find. We will be waiting on pictures and Marti report no matter how long it takes. There are plenty in the bay area. I can't find the ones I have used. You might question BAMA Bay area Mustang association. Dave at Mustang City in Belmont might be helpful also. Good luck

There is a guy here in Arizona that knows old car engines. But looks like you've got a California option. There should be several places in California.
Don't mean to jack the post, but who is your AZ recommendation? I will need to get some rocker pedestals cut and a block bored and decked in the future.

Don't mean to jack the post, but who is your AZ recommendation? I will need to get some rocker pedestals cut and a block bored and decked in the future.

Here is a link to his site

https://greulichengines.com/
Super stand up guy. Just don't ever ask him to rebuild a Jeep 3.7 Power Turd.

And do not confuse him with Greulich's automotive shops.

I use A-Team Speed Shop in Tinley Park IL. Rob is the owner and he has built four engines for me in the last 8 years or so and they have all been great. He is the builder of my 351C 4V engine for my current project 71 Mach. My engines are strong street motors but not race engines by any means. My friends are racers (9 and 10 second cars) and have had Rob build their motors for years and swear by his work. That is how I began using him for my builds, he builds a really good engine, but he is really busy and it will take a few months, but I am not sure you can find a short turn around with anyone who is that good and people know it. I know he builds engines and ships them all over the country and I was told he has shipped some engines internationally as well. My 396 block in my Camaro was not rebuildable and Rob put out feelers and a guy he knew in California had a 69 396 block with the correct casting number and build dates. Rob had him ship him the block and he built the engine from that block, so at least it was correct as it could be considering the numbers match block was damaged by a previous poor quality rebuild. I kept the original block and was going to make a glass top coffee table out of it for the basement, but my wife didn't love that idea and I never got around to it anyway.

An alternative to cutting the pedestals is the Scorpion Endurance 3224 adjustable roller rockers.

https://scorpionracingproducts.com/product/3224-1-73-bbf-rocker-arms-adjustable/
Not cheap, but you won't have to buy studs, guideplates or wait for the machine shop to do the work.
The scorpions look very nice. I'm running a set of the no-longer-available Motorsport rockers on an uncut set of heads. I wonder if scorpion took over where Motorsport left off with this model.

It's a long story, but I have an orphaned D0AE-N head that I cut and put guides in about 35 years ago...I've already got a set of Crane Gold rockers, studs, and plates. If you know of anyone that wants to sell or trade...I could use another D0AE-N head...have D1AE-GA open and closed and a few pairs of D1AE-GA heads for barter....oh and not to forget an orphaned D0OE-R head. 1663684733374.png

Congratulations on your find. We will be waiting on pictures and Marti report no matter how long it takes. There are plenty in the bay area. I can't find the ones I have used. You might question BAMA Bay area Mustang association. Dave at Mustang City in Belmont might be helpful also. Good luck
Thank you! Will have to snap some pics soon

I use A-Team Speed Shop in Tinley Park IL. Rob is the owner and he has built four engines for me in the last 8 years or so and they have all been great. He is the builder of my 351C 4V engine for my current project 71 Mach. My engines are strong street motors but not race engines by any means. My friends are racers (9 and 10 second cars) and have had Rob build their motors for years and swear by his work. That is how I began using him for my builds, he builds a really good engine, but he is really busy and it will take a few months, but I am not sure you can find a short turn around with anyone who is that good and people know it. I know he builds engines and ships them all over the country and I was told he has shipped some engines internationally as well. My 396 block in my Camaro was not rebuildable and Rob put out feelers and a guy he knew in California had a 69 396 block with the correct casting number and build dates. Rob had him ship him the block and he built the engine from that block, so at least it was correct as it could be considering the numbers match block was damaged by a previous poor quality rebuild. I kept the original block and was going to make a glass top coffee table out of it for the basement, but my wife didn't love that idea and I never got around to it anyway.
Thank you! Sometimes going the distance pays off, might have to get in contacted with Rob

Back