Plasma LED Tail light lamps

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill73Ragtop

Long time vintage mustang hobbyist
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Convertible Restomod enhanced.
former owner (25 yrs) of 1973 Convertible, 351c, A/C, RA
Like others who have documented on the forum their conversion to LED tail lights, it's been on my "TO - DO" list from some time.  I decided to give the West Coast Classic Cougar (WCCC) lamps a try.  Cost is somewhat pricey ($63.58 incl shipping) for four (4) 1157 Red LED tail lights but I've always figured you get what you pay for and WCCC has a pretty good track record for product and customer service in my book.  All pics were taken during daylight hours (no flash).  

Interesting that WCCC has their own initials on the lamps and packaging.

Comparison pic with LED's and incandescent parking lights ON

LED Brake lights seem to overwhelm the camera -- they look very red in real life....pic appears yellowish in spots

PDF attachment shows comparison of Incandescent and LED's side by side

73 Mustang Incand VRS LED tail light comparison.pdf

So I figure this change will help get the attention of the folks behind me in traffic - especially those texting and/or with their cell phones attached to the side of their heads...

Attachments

• 73 Mustang Incand VRS LED tail light comparison.pdf
    453.9 KB · Views: 31
Nice, is it an easy switch over?

These are on my to-do list. Do they fit right in your existing wiring harness without any modifications?

Barry

Thanks for taking the time to show!   I tried that to on the Facebook page (showing OEM on left - Plasma on right)   https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1436123893090854&set=p.1436123893090854&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1436106969759213&set=gm.10155706713604268&type=3&ifg=1

Ended up extending a 20% discount at hipoparts.com as a result to that group.   Happy to do for you too. Have to read rules.

Mark

P.S.  If you look at all the 1156/1157 options you really don't need to have Plasma at that price!  All SMD's are better than a bulb!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, is it an easy switch over?

These are on my to-do list. Do they fit right in your existing wiring harness without any modifications?

Barry
I've installed the plasma lights in the tail lights also and am really impressed with the light difference between those and the bulbs. They are a direct replacement for the 1157 bulbs and a flasher change was not needed. Simple 10 min change.

UPDATE: Ooops! For some reason I did not check the turn signal operation when I installed the lamps the other day....today is nice weather so I was thinking of going to a local show/cruise event....

Much to my dismay, my turn signal flasher does not function for right or left turns.....4-way does work, but is pretty slow. Looks like I need to change the flasher. For today, I put the incandescent lamps back in and will do my research on what kind of flasher I'll need to work with the LED's....

Apologies for the posting before I had the complete story...I'll update my solution as soon as I find it.

https://www.hipoparts.com/12v-electronic-signal-flasher-relay-w-ground-wire-for-led/

Lower drawn and feed back for a no electronic flasher when converting.

Not all cars need it, it depends on age, if ever apart what sealant were used on reassembly if restore etc etc. ON a 71-73 with plastic housing a need would probably be due to harness grounds . We know Randy could tell of some of the "things he has seen over the years"!

Mark.

UPDATE:   Ooops!  For some reason I did not check the turn signal operation when I installed the lamps the other day....today is nice weather so I was thinking of going to a local show/cruise event....

Much to my dismay, my turn signal flasher does not function for right or left turns.....4-way does work, but is pretty slow.  Looks like I need to change the flasher.  For today, I put the incandescent lamps back in and will do my research on what kind of flasher I'll need to work with the LED's....

Apologies for the posting before I had the complete story...I'll update my solution as soon as I find it.
you will need to replace the front turn signal  leds with 1157 stock bulbs or install 60 ohm resistors on the left  and right cricut  you can get them @ o'reillys or on line  you will need to get an electronic flasher for the turn signal and the emergency flasher (one above the glove box and one above the steering column ) i went through this try the front 1157 turn signal bulb switch first

i hope this helps

i found my tail light leds on ebay    look for cree or cob leds 
NIce to see you CALL THEM WHAT THEY ARE !!   Cree/Cob.  That is the style of the board.

"plasma" is a marketing term, that the MASSES (and we know what the masses are)...have latched onto.   We get calls everyday, "do you have those Plasma bulbs?"   

Again, Nice to see you know, do research and know!

Mark

i  know that some american companies sell the led lights . and don't want to take away any business from them . some people do not have 70$   to spend on leds. i don't. so i am  trying to offer a different source for the lighting .we are a kind of family here and try to help each other out and saving money is a big part of that .

https://www.hipoparts.com/12v-electronic-signal-flasher-relay-w-ground-wire-for-led/

Lower drawn and feed back for a no electronic flasher when converting.

Not all cars need it, it depends on age, if ever apart what sealant were used on reassembly if restore etc etc.  ON a 71-73 with plastic housing a need would probably be due to harness grounds .  We know Randy could tell of some of the "things he has seen over the years"!

Mark.
Thanks, looks like I'll also go ahead and change the front amber turn signal / running lights to LED and get the flasher for all LED.   Nice that they have the other flasher for combination of LED and incandescent.  I changed all my dash lights to LED with a HiPo kit quite a few years ago with great results.

I'll update things once I've got the correct combination of things in place.

Bill

UPDATE: Rec'd the new electronic flasher unit https://www.hipoparts.com/12v-heavy-duty-electronic-signal-flasher-relay/

and once plugged in, everything works perfectly - including the 4-ways. This is with the LED lamps in the taillight housings and incandescent amber lamps up front.

All LED: HiPo is running some pretty reasonable prices on some of their lamps so I also ordered 1157 Yellow LED's for the front lights and one of the all LED flashers. These are 18 SMD 1157 type bulb LED's. When I plugged in the front LED's, the LEDS lit up as running lights, but do not appear to compete the circuit for turn signals - the dash indicators do not light up nor do they flash when the turn signals are activated (with an All LED flasher unit plugged in). The fit of the lamps in the front sockets seems too shallow - I had trouble getting them seated, so I put them aside. Since everything works well with the mix of LED and incandescent, I'm going with that for now and will work on the all LED setup down the road.

NOTE: I plugged in some LED 1156 white back up lamps (Ultra Bright 24 LED's) https://www.hipoparts.com/clearance-ultra-bright-16-led-taillight-brake-reverse-lamp-bulb-1156-1157/ at $2.15 each which work very well for the backup lights.

Thanks for the update Bill !! (and I get the price issue for some) SO.................this board now has a 20% discount offered due to such comments AND efforts like yours.

ONE NOTE - use of 1157 for front turn signals MAY NOT WORK for correct harness for a 1971 ! (those were the metal bulb holders) those didn't use an 1157 - but rather a "special pin" BA style) Probably only an issue for EARLY 71 Owners.

Mark

Back