Please show us your manual transmission shifter and boot

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I am looking for ideas on shifter boots. I am having issues with the stock looking boot that it is not fitting well my TKO600 adapted restomod. I am interested in pictures showing your setup either be original, aftermarket, adapted from another vehicle, restomod, etc. I also would like to know the brand, model and better yet a link to where you found it. This will help a lot of us out there looking for alternatives. Thank you.

I am looking for ideas on shifter boots. I am having issues with the stock looking boot that it is not fitting well my TKO600 adapted restomod. I am interested in pictures showing your setup either be original, aftermarket, adapted from another vehicle, restomod, etc. I also would like to know the brand, model and better yet a link to where you found it. This will help a lot of us out there looking for alternatives. Thank you.
 Tony, when I was checking for other manufacturers and suppliers for my 71 boot, I think it was CJ Pony who have a leather one. That might be perfect for yours.

Just a thought. If not CJ, try NPD, I don't think it was Summit though.

Geoff.

I got a faux leather one off ebay a couple years ago just to get it on the road. It was cheap, but has held up surprisingly well. I will get a pic tonight and post it. I am planning on getting the trusty old sewing machine out at some point and making a nicer one though.

Good options guys. Please snap some pictures and post them.

In the mean time here are a few of my current setup. So long story short, although it looks great it doesn't work. When shifting forward to first or third the pleats get overstretched which pull the shifter out of gear. The shifter rod from the trans ends up 1 1/4" forward from the center of the opening. I built an adapter to center the shifter but then the adapter is hitting the pleads of the shifter. Therefore I need a boot that is less stiff or that has a bigger base. I think the two options suggested may work but I would like to see some pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of a crappy picture bu a Hurst set-up that was used with my original top loader. This, as shown, is with a TKO 600 5 speed. I can shoot a better photo if desired.

1XHdaHo.jpg

Kind of a crappy picture bu a Hurst set-up that was used with my original top loader. This, as shown, is with a TKO 600 5 speed. I can shoot a better photo if desired.
The shift rod in my TKO for some reason is 1.25" forward from the center of the tunnel opening. Was yours centered? Mine was an auto and I assume that the tunnel opening is located in the same place for auto or manual.

T5, Hurst shifter handle and boot.
Thanks. That boot looks taller than mine. Do you know which Hurst boot is that one? They have several.

Edit: if that is the large Hurst boot (#1147494), did you have to drill new holes?

Yes its the large one. I screwed it to the floor/tunnel then console over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like how this one looks and it may be tall enough to work with my setup. I found an "open package" one in Amazon for 1/2 price so I got it. I wonder if due to the larger size it still is able to create a good watertight seal with the floor. I may be able to use a cheap leather one underneath to create a watertight seal and then the Hurst over for the looks.

BTW, which Hurst shifter are you using? I have the Hurst 5388022.

The shift rod in my TKO for some reason is 1.25" forward from the center of the tunnel opening. Was yours centered? Mine was an auto and I assume that the tunnel opening is located in the same place for auto or manual.
I replaced my 351 Cleveland with a 9 1/2" deck height Dart based 427 so new mounts were fabbed initially due to height (taller deck and an Air Gap RPM) and angle issues but also to move the motor/trans rearward so it was right for driving. 
c3c7bYs.jpg

I ended up getting the Hurst super boot. I found a 1/2 price deal through the Amazon Warehouse. The listing said that it had a small damage, but it was in its original sealed package like new. Because the super boot has a much larger base, I used a Scott Drake "leather" boot underneath to cover and "seal" the opening in the tunnel. The Scott Drake is not that nice and not of too good of a quality. The Hurst super boot looks great and due to its size it fits the adapter I made to relocate the shift lever. An advantage of the super boot is that it completely covers the console's hole so no need for the stock plastic cover. A disadvantage is that since it is taller, it partially covers the clock, especially when you are in the "up" gears (1st, 3rd, 5th).

BTW, the super boot is just placed over the carpet and held in place by the console. No screws used.

This is the Scott Drake "leather" boot that I used to seal the opening:

And here are couple views of the Hurst:

I can't tell well from your picture, but could you please measure the length of your shifter. When it is in neutral what is the horizontal distance from the bottom of the ball to the console? 

Thank you.

I can't tell well from your picture, but could you please measure the length of your shifter. When it is in neutral what is the horizontal distance from the bottom of the ball to the console? 

Thank you.
Sure, I'll go snap a couple pics. I'm not sure what shifter arm I used, as I bought a couple different ones and picked one that felt the most comfy.

Back