PoFoMoCo's 1971 Shelby Europa build October 2022

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, all 4 wheels are finished. Here's the before and after. Now it's time to figure out what tire size I want to run on them....
Did you clear coat them? Dupicolor make an excellent wheel clear coat in their range of wheel finishes. Just a thought.

I have thought about clear coating them. I’m on the fence about the best way to maintain them. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with the longevity of the clear coat I would love to hear about it. Or is it best to just buff & polish at the beginning of every show season? Thanks in advance!

I have thought about clear coating them. I’m on the fence about the best way to maintain them. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with the longevity of the clear coat I would love to hear about it. Or is it best to just buff & polish at the beginning of every show season? Thanks in advance!
Are you planning to drive it in the snow or salty roads?
OEM (atleast 73 style) were not clear coated. I plan on buffing once a year.

I painted wheels in the past. Finish is fragile compared to factory finish and that's with sanding to get better bite, while you have to go over smooth.
Mounting tires will chip edge on few places.

I have had a good experience with Everbrite on a brushed stainless steel exterior monument sign that was suffering from tea staining (rust discoloration, SS can rust). Hand sanded the sign and coated it. Looked great for years. Practice applying first! I've heard it works on previously anodized aluminum trim, as well.

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/auto-marine

I have had a good experience with Everbrite on a brushed stainless steel exterior monument sign that was suffering from tea staining (rust discoloration, SS can rust). Hand sanded the sign and coated it. Looked great for years. Practice applying first! I've heard it works on previously anodized aluminum trim, as well.

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/auto-marine
Sounds like ceramic coating.
If it is/works the same, it will last few years when not used often and will keep it looking new.
Had ceramic coat my sports car which sees daily use in summer - a must if you have black paint and and it to look good.

Last edited:
All good thoughts… Fortunately, the car is only a summertime, sunny day cruiser, weekender to cars & coffee and the occasional car show. No snow or salt in this part of the world. I have three other options so it won’t be forced into emergency duty either.

I was researching a ceramic coating as a possibility but I really think the annual buff and polish is probably the best way to maintain them in their current condition.

I will wipe them down with Mothers Quick Detailer after driving it to keep the dirt and dust build up to a minimum.

Years ago, I had a 93 T bird, had it for 13 years. I repainted the wheels with Dupicolor dark grey and Duplicolor clear coat 'Wheel Paint'. The wheels lasted better than the paint job.
Actually, probably the better option would be powder coat them, but like ANY top finish, you need to take care of it.
Or, an annual clean up would be in order.

Are you planning to drive it in the snow or salty roads?
OEM (atleast 73 style) were not clear coated. I plan on buffing once a year.

I painted wheels in the past. Finish is fragile compared to factory finish and that's with sanding to get better bite, while you have to go over smooth.
Mounting tires will chip edge on few places.
I use SharkHide. It's not a paint and not permanent. Its used to protect Aluminum on boats and other marine situations. I cleaned up my original 73 Aluminum Slots and then coated them with Shark Hide and 5 years later the wheels look as good now as then.

Sharkhide Metal Protectant | Polymer Protectant for Aluminum, Cast Iron, Copper, Brass, Bronze, Steel | Rust, Stain, Oxidation, Streak, & Weathering Protection
https://a.co/d/1q1pOAK

Attachments

• 20170907_162722-1.jpg
    20170907_162722-1.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Moving forward and a little closer. The cap is 95% done, only detail work and mount the emblem and this part is car show ready! :cool:

View attachment 71424
A few years ago at Carlise All Fords in June, there was what was Advertised as a Shelby Europa. I had several conversations with the owner Chris who lived in NJ. I know there is much debate about the authenticity of his car, but I believe it's the real thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20221211_120600.jpg
    IMG_20221211_120600.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
I use SharkHide. It's not a paint and not permanent. Its used to protect Aluminum on boats and other marine situations. I cleaned up my original 73 Aluminum Slots and then coated them with Shark Hide and 5 years later the wheels look as good now as then…
Man! Those slots…. Beautiful car Rich! Thanks for the info on SharkHide I’ll definitely check it out.

I use SharkHide. It's not a paint and not permanent. Its used to protect Aluminum on boats and other marine situations. I cleaned up my original 73 Aluminum Slots and then coated them with Shark Hide and 5 years later the wheels look as good now as then.

Sharkhide Metal Protectant | Polymer Protectant for Aluminum, Cast Iron, Copper, Brass, Bronze, Steel | Rust, Stain, Oxidation, Streak, & Weathering Protection
https://a.co/d/1q1pOAK
What is your tire size and are those original lug nuts ?
I was contemplating if I should put tires with white letters out to brake up that large sidewall. Most likely will once I finish restore with all of my wheels

What is your tire size and are those original lug nuts ?
I was contemplating if I should put tires with white letters out to brake up that large sidewall. Most likely will once I finish restore with all of my wheels
My car was a Ford Marketing Sales. It was ordered by some Ford Executive/Employee and used as a company car. It was heavily optioned, including factory-installed GR78 14" Radial Tires. "R" for Radial. About 5 years ago, Firestone developed a Radial version of their popular G70 RWL Bias Ply tires in 14" and 15". They are the closest thing to the original factory Radials as I could find. Coker Tire sells them.

The lug nuts are original as is the 5 screw hole center caps. Service replacement caps only had three holes. The funny back story behind the lug nuts... 25 years ago, I was looking for parts at a south jersey mustang graveyard called Gelsi Mustang, and I noticed all these long chrome lug nuts in the grass, mud, and dirt all over the yard. I recognized them as 73 aluminum factory lug nuts left behind by others who removed the rims. I picked up about 3 dozen from the ground like picking up seashells on the beach. All they needed was a good polishing.

Seven years ago give or take, I started a project thread for the 73 Convertible restoration. I posted a bunch of stuff about factory paint marks and build sheets. I found the old project link for the thread if you are interested....

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/73-convertible-restoration-project.28482/

Attachments

• 20161028_155541-1-1.jpg
    20161028_155541-1-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Attachments

• 20210603_171202.jpg
    20210603_171202.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20210603_171235.jpg
    20210603_171235.jpg