Positive and Negative on the printed circuit board

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then...the three unused holes that you have need the bulb inserts for those three functions I mentioned earlier. The only reason not to have them would be that the functions were transferred to the center three gauge cluster. Your clock should have four indicator lamp bezels showing to the driver, does it not?

It does not... just the "BRAKE" indicator (as shown above - its the only one showing through the glare).

Here's the image from Rocketman's site:

M7123SC.jpg

http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-tach-all

Scroll down and notice there are two tachs available for our cars. ;)

** Edit: fixed the link - Eric

Does your underdash harness have a 8 pin connector about in the center of the center dash area? I wonder if someone has pulled the three gauge cluster out of your car before you bought it. This connector is a dead give-away that you once had the three gauge center cluster. Otherwise, your car had no alternator, oil, or water temperature idiot lights or gauges, and that's not a good design at all!

Yes - this dash came out of a Mach 1 and Yes it has the 3 gauges in the center - without a full console w/ clock. The original gauges had the idiot lights but I switch all of it - including the printed circuit. The clock quit working a few years ago and thought that I would try Rocket man's tach and I am having him to change the ammeter to a voltmeter and check the pressure gauge. I just thought - since I got all of this open - why not just change these dim bulbs. I bought a few blue LEDs but since I also added a concour 230 radio and the display was green. I would try the green LEDs instead. Yes the brake light (I think) is the only light in the tach (clock) side.

Yes I did have one end of my circuit (top) near the speedometer that started to frizzle or separate and I just used a very small piece of plastic tape over the edge. I think that it got that way from my hands reaching over the dash and trying to remove the cluster pin and trying to squeeze the speedometer cable to get it to release.

Yes I did have one end of my circuit (top) near the speedometer that started to frizzle or separate and I just used a very small piece of plastic tape over the edge. I think that it got that way from my hands reaching over the dash and trying to remove the cluster pin and trying to squeeze the speedometer cable to get it to release.
20161015_200345.jpg

20161015_200437.jpg

Does your underdash harness have a 8 pin connector about in the center of the center dash area? I wonder if someone has pulled the three gauge cluster out of your car before you bought it. This connector is a dead give-away that you once had the three gauge center cluster. Otherwise, your car had no alternator, oil, or water temperature idiot lights or gauges, and that's not a good design at all!
If you're asking me, I believe so (it's been awhile) mainly because my 3 gauge cluster is working fine (minus the ammeter - I left it disconnected, and will be converting it to a voltmeter).

I actually find it hard to believe that so many people haven't seen/heard of the clock cluster. Granted, since I have one it's less surprising to me. ;)

1971convertible: Is your car an F-, H-, or L-Code with an automatic, by any chance?

Yes - this dash came out of a Mach 1 and Yes it has the 3 gauges in the center - without a full console w/ clock. The original gauges had the idiot lights but I switch all of it - including the printed circuit. The clock quit working a few years ago and thought that I would try Rocket man's tach and I am having him to change the ammeter to a voltmeter and check the pressure gauge. I just thought - since I got all of this open - why not just change these dim bulbs. I bought a few blue LEDs but since I also added a concour 230 radio and the display was green. I would try the green LEDs instead. Yes the brake light (I think) is the only light in the tach (clock) side.
AH!! Now I see we're dealing with a mish-mash of parts. Not uncommon, but starts to get where one needs to be electrically inclined to sort it out, which I'm not. Hope you get it all sorted and have a good result at the end. The rocketman's tach will be a great upgrade. I love mine and it gives the car that Mach 1 look it should have had from the get-go.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Hi-Po Part's information (posted earlier), the clock cluster and "idiot light" cluster use the same circuit board.

attachment.php

The thing that surprises me about the set-up is that the "idiot light gauge" shares the same circuit board as the "clock." Considering that the "Tach" also came with the 3-gauge center pod and had fewer warning lamps (same as the clock), wouldn't it make sense to have the Tach and Clock clusters to share the circuit board, rather than the Clock and Idiot Light gauge (which was loaded up with warning lamps and no 3-gauge center pod)?

THAT'S what doesn't make sense to me. :chin:

I received my LEDs from Mustang Project on Saturday... now, I'm just waiting for my Rocketman clock/tach conversion to get here, so I can pull the whole thing apart and fix all my issues at once.

According to Hi-Po Part's information (posted earlier), the clock cluster and "idiot light" cluster use the same circuit board.

attachment.php

The thing that surprises me about the set-up is that the "idiot light gauge" shares the same circuit board as the "clock." Considering that the "Tach" also came with the 3-gauge center pod and had fewer warning lamps (same as the clock), wouldn't it make sense to have the Tach and Clock clusters to share the circuit board, rather than the Clock and Idiot Light gauge (which was loaded up with warning lamps and no 3-gauge center pod)?

THAT'S what doesn't make sense to me. :chin:

I received my LEDs from Mustang Project on Saturday... now, I'm just waiting for my Rocketman clock/tach conversion to get here, so I can pull the whole thing apart and fix all my issues at once.
Yet another example of "weird thinking" on Ford's part. I agree, I think they could have made it that way. Would it not have been better to have had 1 wire harness and 1 gauge cluster circuit board, we'll never know!!

Is there anybody else having problems removing these blue things in the dash. I removed them on the speedometer side of the dash but I just received my tach back from Rocketman and it is assembled and it does not look like he wants you to take it apart.

Back