possible 1971 mach 1 purchase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would concur with the comments thus far. I have helped a couple of friends of my wife find cars for their spouses for one sentimental reason or another. My suggestion would be to find the most solid body your budget can afford. I have a teenage son as well and I would think you would want them to be able to start to ride and drive in the car before they are adults and off doing there own things. The bodywork is the most time consuming and expensive part of this hobby in my opinion. The mechanical side can typically be worked through that many hands in a reasonable time period. I would suspect in your part of the country you will not find a rust free car locally, but I would spend your time on that. Your idea of the keychain and maybe a die cast car or matchbox to make the surprise is a good approach. Maybe that would allow you the time and your husband and boys the opportunity to shop around for a solid car that they are all interested in tackling. I say that from one experience helping a friend buy a Datsun 240Z for her husbands 40th. I found the car and did the 28 hour round trip to get it back by his birthday. The surprise was great, but quickly wore off when he decided he wanted an automatic vs. a manual and his boys wanted a later model than a 72. I really think it is a great surprise for them.

If the search takes you farther than your immediate area do not hesitate to reach out to other members across the country who can go and physically look a car over for you. Moral of the story is never never trust what they put in the ad or say over the phone. We all have stories of seeing a car that was far beyond how it was portrayed by the seller.

I would also like to welcome you to the forum and applaud you for being the wife and mother supporting this idea for your family. Little bit harder for me even though my wife and I started dating in my car more than 25 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would never hear, "I sure wish you had bought THAT one!"
I've heard that before. I found a wood hauler F250 (he cuts firewood as well) and he went, looked at it and decided he wanted it. We got it and then all I ever heard was... shouldn't have gotten that one. lol.

He is very good at figuring out the mechanical end of things. He has a budy that is a great welder and has a friend with a body shop that we might be able to talk them into using their paint bay and helping them for a reduced cost. So all things considered, I think we can tackle this and have an awesome car for my oldest (almost 13) to take to his junior prom... long range goals. hehe.

If you're feeling like you might be missing out on a deal with that first car, click on my "Frankenstang Album" link in my signature. That should give you a pretty good idea of what that first car is all about. ;)

As others have said, buy the most car you can afford and go from there. The biggest problem areas for these Mustangs are:

• Cowl area, which leads to
  • Floor pans & firewall
  • Lower doors
  • trunk & tail light panel
  • rear cross member
  • quarter panels & trunk drop-offs
  • rocker panels
  • fenders
  • frame rails & torque boxes (especially in harsh winter climates)

It wouldn't hurt to look into that 2nd one you posted, but then again... if something sounds too good to be true or shifty in any way, it probably is. If you find something else you're interested in, share it with us and we'll be happy to offer up opinions.

Good luck!

The key chain ideal sounds great. That way there is no pressure to find a car by his birthday and make a rush purchase that could end up being one of those "Black Holes". There are a lot of different very nice Mustang key chains on the market. Our site administrator "Rocketfoot" just recently completed a stainless steel Mustang key fob/chain project that had all three body styles. The pre-ordering process is closed but he may have some extra left after the pre-order's are filled. http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-71-73-mustang-custom-key-chain-fundraiser

I like that you have a plan "B" so if a Mustang is not found by his birthday, there is something in place that would make him part of the search process.

My wife appreciates my Mustangs as she said it made it easier for her to tolerate me and my Midlife crisis! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
ZZZZzzzzZZZZ...grunt...sneeze...yawn...did someone mention my name?

I agree: give him a key chain and let the both of you pick out the car; it will be a great bonding experience between the two of you (either that, or grounds for a divorce...). And now back to my nap.

ZZZzzzZZZzzz

A concern I have with this one is based on Pic #2 and the comment by the seller that the floors are cut out. These cars do not have a full frame and the floors are a structural part of the vehicle. In pic two you can see the drivers side door sagging a bit where it meets the rear quarter. Also a couple things to answer on your questions of 71 vs 73. Essentially the 71 to 73 mustangs were the same body styles but with differences, some minor, some not. The biggest diff being the engines, after 71 and most notably by 73 performance from the factory had decreased significantly due to emissions regulations, lowing compression, unleaded gas, etc. (these performance changes can all be reversed but at some cost). There are also safety changes made that brought the bumpers out farther from the body of the car in the front and rear, different engine mounts, etc. This ones looks pretty rough compared to the $4,000 one you posted earlier. It would take considerably more than the $1,400 difference to get this one to the point of the $4,000 car.

unfortunately the guy hasn't responded with the 4k one. I'll keep looking. Thanks for your honest opinion. I do appreciate it. Trying to stay below 5k with original purchase. I know I won't get much but it's a starting point.

unfortunately the guy hasn't responded with the 4k one. I'll keep looking. Thanks for your honest opinion. I do appreciate it. Trying to stay below 5k with original purchase. I know I won't get much but it's a starting point.
$5k is not a terrible starting point if you are willing to be patient. I paid less than that for mine. While it is a coupe and not a fastback the care was complete, running driving, rust free, mostly original, and a 351c drivetrain with 69,000 miles on it. I purchased it and drove it as it was for quite some time until I decided to do some upgrades.

Here is one that is relatively close. I don't know the difference between the 71 and 73.

Thoughts, questions to ask seller?

http://altoona.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=1973+mustang&sort=rel

Ask if they have the side mirrors for the doors. I would also ask about the condition of the frame rails to see if they are intact as they said the floors are out of it. I myself wouldn't be afraid to take on a project like that one if the price was right. Also not trying to offend anyone but a 302 engine is marginal power wise in these cars but would make for a good cruiser.

ok. so I know someone shared this one as well. I'm not fond of the color and if we are keeping it original, we need to stick with that color correct? But I guess if we never want to sell it, then we just make it whatever color we want?? lol white is the last color I would pick for a mustang (no offense to anyone that owns a white one.. lol)

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5956927585.html

What additional questions should I ask on this one and do you think the price is fair?

K

If that one truly is a "Sprint" edition I would keep it that way. The sprints were a special edition mustang with the white and blue theme. It was to commemorate the Olympics.

Fair amount of rust in that white one. Passenger side quarter immediately behind the door at the bottom. Drivers side door jamb in the dash picture looks like the door hinge structure has been weakened. I would look at this one closely enough sign here to indicate a lot of metal repair.

ok. so I know someone shared this one as well. I'm not fond of the color and if we are keeping it original, we need to stick with that color correct? But I guess if we never want to sell it, then we just make it whatever color we want?? lol white is the last color I would pick for a mustang (no offense to anyone that owns a white one.. lol)

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5956927585.html

What additional questions should I ask on this one and do you think the price is fair?

K
White car does look like its a Sprint. If you can get a pic of the door tag (if driver door is orig)it should have code HB for trim code.

Back