possible 1971 mach 1 purchase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok. This one is killing me. I'm thinking this might be the car. I've asked for the VIN and additional pictures from the seller. Should I ask if he would take a deposit while I get everything lined up to purchase it? How do purchases across state lines work in regards to title transfer? Anyone have any car hauling companies they recommend?

ok. This one is killing me. I'm thinking this might be the car. I've asked for the VIN and additional pictures from the seller. Should I ask if he would take a deposit while I get everything lined up to purchase it? How do purchases across state lines work in regards to title transfer? Anyone have any car hauling companies they recommend?
Those are some tricky questions but I am sure many on here have purchased online and can offer some great ideas on how to best proceed.

As for the transports - I saw this article and all they recommend are good transport co's.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2012/11/29/transporting-your-classic

Ray

I think I am the one that posted this one. The body work does look very nice. A couple of questions to ask the seller...

Vin? so you can determine what motor it has/came with. Also ask if he will send you a pic of the data plate on the drivers door. This will tell you a lot about the car including original color, engine, trans, rear end, trim etc.

The comment on "the cylinder heads need redone" Why? it could very well be it needs a valve job, seal etc. but if it dropped a valve or the timing chain skipped there could be damage to the bottom end. Or it may have overheated and could have cracked a head.

Overall if the car truly is solid and not rusted the price is not too far out there for a 71 mach, this depends of course on what motor it has.

I would ask if it runs? If he states no, I would ask Why and nothing else. Let him fill in the blanks. If he tells you X, ask him what indicated that was the problem? It can also be started with a gas can feeding the fuel pump if he states it cannot be started because of the gas tank. I am not sure if you are really interested in originality from your earlier posts so the "born as" information will be good to have and lets the seller know you have done some homework before asking those questions. This could be a good candidate for you and if it has some mechanical issues those are easier to fix than body. If you go look at it bring a magnet with. I usually use those thin flexible magnets that they sell at Lowe's and HD if you forget one. With the sellers permission place it on the lower parts of the exterior sheet metal all around the rear wheel, behind the front tire, bottoms of the doors. Open the trunk and look all over that area the floor of the trunks are prone to rust from debris between the gas tank and floor bottom. Look in the cavities on both left and right side of the trunks. Stick your hand down in there and feel for it to be smooth or very bumpy. Smooth is good, very bumpy is bad. Lay down on the floor and look over the bottom of the car. It is better to get dirty now than poor later is my philosophy. It sounds like your husband has the mechanical skills and with the help of the boys could address those. This MAY be a car to except some mechanical shortcomings to get a good body.

Looks good in pics but is the intake off the motor? Is it auto or four speed? Any interior pics? The wheels look like Mopar versions of Magnum 500 to me. Hood blackout looks to be not stock. Few of my observations. Good Luck.

ok. looked a little more last night into what i can do. I can go up to 10k. However, a little rust is ok to work with as well as interior and motor restoration. Entire floorboards and trunk, maybe not so much. lol. He does want to make this his own car and to do that, he will have to have some pride in restoring her. However, I did come up with this one.

https://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/5955401965.html

Not a huge fan of the '73 (I'm liking the '71 and '72 more) but this looks like it might be decent??? I know the pics are from June, so maybe he tried to sell it before?

OK a little concern on this one. He states with a "Q" title. Is her referring to a Q code motor? IE the VIN has a Q in it. Then he states it is a 2 bbl 351c which is an "H" code motor? Based on the pic it is indeed a 2 bbl carb and intake on that car. There are also parts missing. There is an AC bracket on that motor but obviously no AC. There just seems to be a lot more wrong with that car than right. Have you heard back from the guy with the red one yet? I think (and this is just based on pics) that the red car would be a better starting point. This all depends on the VIN as well.

nope.. he hasn't returned phone or email. UGH!!! this is a tough search. lol.. (oh, and not dissing your 73 in any way, they are still cool cars).. lol

The Cars For Sale post is a scam post. Guys search the internet and find cars for sale on Craigslist and other locations contact the seller and add a several thousand dollar premium on to the sellers asking price. I know this car it is actually located very close to me in Olive Branch, MS. It has been for sale for a looooooong time. I have never looked at the car so I do not know condition. If interested I can take a look at it in person for you.

https://northmiss.craigslist.org/cto/5939103230.html

definitely interested in that one. Let me get in touch with the seller and see if I can get additional info. Thanks for the heads up on the cars for sale!!!

Back