Power Steering Gear Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtjd

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
My Mustang is a 1973, MACH I, 351C, produced in May 1973 with power steering. I need to replace the power steering gearbox but need some advice.

I assume that my gearbox is variable ratio being that its a MACH.

But which to choose. I seen quick ratio, Power Steering Other Tag, Power Steering Tag SPA-A, Power Steering Tag SPA-S, Power Steering Tag SPA-T, Power Steering Tag SPA-U. Not sure which one to get.

Also do you keep with the standard gear or switch up to the quick ratio.

I've also seen plenty of sources:

NAPA

NPD

SUMMIT

buyautoparts.com

carpartswarehouse.com

Please assist

My Mustang is a 1973, MACH I, 351C, produced in May 1973 with power steering. I need to replace the power steering gearbox but need some advice.

But which to choose. I seen quick ratio, Power Steering Other Tag, Power Steering Tag SPA-A, Power Steering Tag SPA-S, Power Steering Tag SPA-T, Power Steering Tag SPA-U. Not sure which one to get.

NAPA

NPD

SUMMIT

buyautoparts.com

carpartswarehouse.com

Please assist
The SPA T or V is a variable ratio box for 71/72/73. Also a 73 box listed for 73 is SPA AD or AF. I can not confirm. If you have a variable ratio box now you can use the NAPA rebuild program (Cardone) to have you box rebuilt. About $220. Chuck

NAPA

NPD

SUMMIT

buyautoparts.com

carpartswarehouse.com

Please assist
The SPA T or V is a variable ratio box for 71/72/73. Also a 73 box listed for 73 is SPA AD or AF. I can not confirm. If you have a variable ratio box now you can use the NAPA rebuild program (Cardone) to have you box rebuilt. About $220. Chuck
Would you also keep with the standard gear or switch up to the quick ratio.

NAPA

NPD

SUMMIT

buyautoparts.com

carpartswarehouse.com

Please assist

Last edited by a moderator:

NAPA

NPD

SUMMIT

buyautoparts.com

carpartswarehouse.com

Please assist

NAPA

NPD

SUMMIT

buyautoparts.com

carpartswarehouse.com

Please assist
Also what type of fluid would you use in the pump for a 1973? Type F ATF or Power Steering fluid?

Also what type of fluid would you use in the pump for a 1973? Type F ATF or Power Steering fluid?
Type F with no problems. Chuck

sgtjd,

I had my steering box converted to the 12.7: 1 quick ratio. I had to wait for several weeks to get it returned, but it was worth the wait.

http://www.powersteering.com/

mustang7173
Thanks for the tip. They're near a place I hit for dinner once in a while so we'll check them out. I had planned on a Jeep box but this option looks a lot easier.

I went with the following last year...Lares 807 from RockAuto... they had it in stock at the time.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-quick-ratio-steering-box

Is your current box leaking?.. also I would check the Pitman arm, mine was pretty worn, and was a PIA to beak free from the center link.

Good Luck.
My gearbox is leaking a lot to include having some slack in there. I believe the gears are just worn out. Pitman arm was replaced two years ago and is good to go.

Now that the mustang is out of storage I looked for the tag and there is none. I did see several numbers stamped on the top side. They are

73 in a circle 76 in the middle and DC in a circle.

I also saw another stamp which read 130 S

Trying to figure out which steering box to get:

Mustang was built in May 1973

Power Steering Tag SPA-A

Power Steering Tag SPA-S

Power Steering Tag SPA-T

Power Steering Tag SPA-U

Please assist.

Back