Power Steering Hose Blew Off

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
Made a mess this AM . . . 1973 Vert, 351, PS/AC.

Started the car, noticed the wheel was tough to turn, backed up and saw pretty much all of the PS fluid on the ground. Out comes the kitty litter.

It made a MESS under the hood. I'll be cleaning that for months . . .

I found the issue. The low pressure (I think) hose going from the PS cooler to the steering box fell off. I can put it back on, but I want to be sure this thing stays on.

The hose was held with two hose clamps to a nipple on the steering box. The nipple isn't flared at all. I feel like it should be, but maybe I'm wrong. So what's the configuration from the factory? Is this hose simply held on with hose clamps to a smooth nipple?

See pics . . .

PXL_20211104_190551705.jpg

PXL_20211104_190605650.jpg

Looks like a poorly done DIY job. The original and replacement hoses have a crimped connection at the PS box. Pretty difficult to keep even a low pressure hose on a non-knurled tube.

RETURN HOSE, POWER STEERING - #3A713-6 - National Parts Depot (npdlink.com)

Edit: This also demonstrates one of the problems with using gear clamps on anything. The flexible material used in hoses is subject to plastic creep, meaning that the material creeps out from under the clamp. And then, along comes cooler weather, the flexible material hardens and shrinks. Ever notice how radiator and heater hoses seem to start dribbling when winter approaches?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Don C  When I look at the pic on NPD's site, it does look like the rubber hose is just clamped to the nipple. Basically, it's the same thing I have now, but mine blew off. Isn't the replacement hose basically the same as I have now?

I had a similar failure last year.   I suggest talking with NPD or whoever you bought them through.  NPD replaced mine after I showed them the incorrect crimp.  

I have an aftermarket high pressure hose that uses a “quilted “ crimp pattern,  meaning there are radial and axial components to the crimp.  My high pressure hose that failed only had axial crimps, and they did not look very deep.

I am definitely concerned about the quality of some of these parts.  What if they are taking the same shortcuts with the brake hoses?

kcmash

Hmmm. I'll unscrew it from the steering box tomorrow or Saturday and see if I can put a small flare on the tube. I'll report back.

II am definitely concerned about the quality of some of these parts.  What if they are taking the same shortcuts with the brake hoses?
Brake hoses can only be made by a DOT registered and certified facility. The hoses have to have an identification mark on the hose or the crimped collars that is unique to the producer. 

I had the same thing happen to me, but I was driving. Was pretty scary cause I was making a sharp right turn when the hose blew off. I almost hit another car, but luckily I was able to turn enough to miss them. 
The hose that blew was supposed to be a “concourse “ hose. Ya right, it was a cheap piece of crap and it had a lousy crimp on it. I always had a bad feeling about it and yep, I was right. So I got a different one from NPD and have not had any problems with it. Sure was a hell of a mess under hood, but got it all cleaned up with no damage.

This is the offending piece. The rubber hose blew off the end. I'm going to try to put a crimp on the end today and see if I can clamp the hose on before the crimp. That should hold it well.

PXL_20211105_131853402~3.jpg

I use a local hydraulic hose company to build hoses for me. I've never had one fail. It my be an option for others. Chuck

On my first attempt, I heated up the end and tapped a ball bearing a little bit into the hole. It worked pretty well to create a flare but not perfect. I probably could have spent a little more time and gotten it better.

However I ended up ordering an Edelman 70629. It should be here Monday and I'll put it all back together.

I report back as to the fit and finish.

I've used the brass ferrule from a compression  fitting  with a touch of solder to create the bump on tube

Sorry forgot to report back on this. The Edelman 70629 hose worked well. Was under $13 and sealed well.

Back on the road . . .

Back