power steering hose question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Coupe. 302 2V - C4 trans
So our 71 coupe has this big fancy loop of insulated steering hose line that comes up pump, routes up and over the export brace, loops back, is held in place with a big old steel bracket, and then just goes right back down into the steering unit.

So here's the rookie question: Whats the deal? Why all this hose and the big loop up and on top of the engine compartment? Why not just go straight from the pump to the steering unit?

I have a theory, but in order not to look more dense than I already appear, I'm withholding it at this time. :)

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks!

Jay

You mean this one?

644032_515739808436942_1251938524_n.jpg

Yeah... beats me. Someone said something about cooling or something or other. In fact, I had to clean up my original hose because the new one had a different fitting than the pump's pressure outlet.

I'll be interested to hear the answer to this one.

This I'm reasonably certain is factual. The long hose was used on cars built before May, 1972. A shorter hose used after that. There was a short "adaptor" steel tube with connectors (not reproduced) used to connect the pressure side hose to the pump.

I've heard this from a couple different sources, I have no idea if it is accurate or not. The very early 71 cars didn't get a PS cooler, the long hose was used in a vain attempt to cool the fluid. Later cars got the PS cooler, but Ford had a quantity of long hoses, so they used them until the supply was exhausted. Then they switched to the short hose. This may all be BS, I don't know. Maybe Don can add to this story. Chuck

Wow - thanks Chuck. That's good to know. I might just hafta ditch mine in favor of a PS fluid cooler set-up. Having that hose routed the way it is (kinda between the A/C hoses) was the most uncomplicated manner I could come up with... but it's also quite crowded, and I can see where running that hose forward to a cooling unit would tidy things up a bit.

I can show you the routing on mine.... it has probly not moved since the car was built. I will snap a pic in the morning.

My '72 came with the long hose routing. I had sourced a cooler to go over the AC compressor but decided if the car lasted as long as it did without the cooler, it would keep going without one. I ended up selling the cooler.

The very early 71 cars didn't get a PS cooler, the long hose was used in a vain attempt to cool the fluid.
How early were these particular '71s, might I ask?

My Nov. 71 M-code doesn't have the loop, but there are indications of its removal. Haven't checked for a PS pump cooler.

-Kurt

The very early 71 cars didn't get a PS cooler, the long hose was used in a vain attempt to cool the fluid.
How early were these particular '71s, might I ask?

My Nov. 71 M-code doesn't have the loop, but there are indications of its removal. Haven't checked for a PS pump cooler.

-Kurt
Kurt, I've not found a precise date but I haven't spent a lot of time researching the matter either. As I said, this is unconfirmed information.

It's basically the same as your air compressor. You don't want your air going directly into your water seperator at the compressor because the air is hot closest to the piston. That's whay they tell you to move the water seperator dow the line 20 ft. Less heat and condensation because the air has time to cool.

The loop was added to reduce a buzzing noise created by the power steering pump

Back