Power steering Pulley models

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Q-code convertible
Are the original power steering pulleys the same for '71-'72-'73 ?

I have a 1973 car and the model of the pulley seems to be different when I search for a new one.

I have met forum member Vinnie last week and was able to look at his nice car. The pulley on his 1973 car is the same as mine...

Below you see a photo of the model that is installed on my car. Unfortunately mine is damaged , so I am looking to replace it.

I have a 1973 car and the model of the pulley seems to be different when I search for a new one.

I have met forum member Vinnie last week and was able to look at his nice car. The pulley on his 1973 car is the same as mine...

Below you see a photo of the model that is installed on my car. Unfortunately mine is damaged , so I am looking to replace it.

I have the same pulley and posted the same question months ago. Is your car a late 73 build? The pulley is the only difference between the two types of pumps. If the pulley is still good on yours then you can replace the broken pump with one that has a solid pulley and just swap the pulley with your three spoke. Below is my old post and the response from the gentleman at Ohio Mustang....  

I pulled the Power Steering pump from my 73 H code Convertible with A/C and Tilt Steering. Built in June 73. The pulley on the car is a 3 spoke casting and not the common solid steel disc. I have never seen a 3 spoke pulley on any other Mustang. The part number and date code on the pump I pulled from my car is correct. Both pulleys have the same offset, belt groove, and diameter so they appear to be interchangeable. I am wondering if the pulley itself or the pump was replaced at some point in its past.

Has anybody else have or seen a 3 spoke pulley on 73 mustangs? I have both types of pulleys and want to used the correct one. I appreciate any insight. Thanks
Yes, I have seen several late 73's with the 3 spoke cast pulley

Never figured out if there was a Ford change, but they have all been late 73's when I find that pulley.

attachment.php

I have the same pulley and posted the same question months ago. Is your car a late 73 build? The pulley is the only difference between the two types of pumps. If the pulley is still good on yours then you can replace the broken pump with one that has a solid pulley and just swap the pulley with your three spoke.

attachment.php
My car is from early April 1973. The pump is good but the pulley that is in my car now is damaged. I actually managed to buy the pump with the 3 spoke pulley in the photo I've added. Thanks for the confirmation that the 3 spoke is correct for 1973!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back