Power steering pump 1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you guys think about a pump and pully from CJ Pony ..Review said that Pully fits loosely applied by hand ???
Can you post the details to save us looking for it. Thanks.
Maybe it a keyed shaft/pulley type with a bolt or something to secure it. I've seen keyed pulleys on the custom websites.

Are you asking because you've already bought the thing? Or just shopping around?
I bought a lares pump for mine. The pulley pressed on like it should and hasn't moved since I put it there.

Can you post the details to save us looking for it. Thanks.
Maybe it a keyed shaft/pulley type with a bolt or something to secure it. I've seen keyed pulleys on the custom websites.
Oh sorry about the lack of info its a 73 351 cant post any pic camera not putting out i think ill try looking up lares pumps

Oh sorry about the lack of info its a 73 351 cant post any pic camera not putting out i think ill try looking up lares pumps
Lares do make pretty good parts. I've not bought their PS Pump as I rebuild my own now. You will likely need the puller/installer kit. It's well worth the 20 bucks or so from Harbor freight or similar.
The Lares 201 is a great replacement coupler (rag joint) for non-tilt columns should you need one.. Do NOT be put off by the fact that both pins (for safety only) are the same diameter, unlike the factory ones. They are at least the correct length to engage the slots in the connector plate unlike the Scott Drake ones by all accounts.

I used rag joint LSC-201 and power steering pump LSC-12101, both from summit. You can rent the pulley (un)installer kit from autozone for free or buy the aforementioned one from harbor freight. I've used both and they work the same.

Benefit of the autozone one is its free, and if you damage it, it doesn't matter. Not your problem. :D
The benefit of the HF one is you dont need to make 2 trips to autozone to borrow and then return it every time you want it.

I might add that buying a new or rebuilt Ford/Thompson PS pump has one huge benefit that, at this time, I can't do and that is replace the shaft bushing. It is a steel bushing and my local bearing supply shop is unable to locate. Oilite bronze is all they can get and that won't stand up to the side load and would rapidly ware out, so nfg. Many times, companies source certain parts for their application only, therefore not available elsewhere. Bummer!
I mention this as a heads up for anyone who might want to rebuild or even just reseal a Ford/Thompson pump. I have one that is parts only now because it needs a new bushing, which is unobtanium.

Lares do make pretty good parts. I've not bought their PS Pump as I rebuild my own now. You will likely need the puller/installer kit. It's well worth the 20 bucks or so from Harbor freight or similar.
The Lares 201 is a great replacement coupler (rag joint) for non-tilt columns should you need one.. Do NOT be put off by the fact that both pins (for safety only) are the same diameter, unlike the factory ones. They are at least the correct length to engage the slots in the connector plate unlike the Scott Drake ones by all accounts.
I broke the flange that the puller goes on so i do need a new pulley i got a new Lares pump from cj pony but i dont know what pulley to buy

I broke the flange that the puller goes on so i do need a new pulley i got a new Lares pump from cj pony but i dont know what pulley to buy
If your car is non AC, then probably the D0OR-B pulley is what you need. it is 6 1/4" diam. If you get an aftermarket pulley, it will need to match the depth or set back so it aligns with the pump pulley. These pics might help.
Also to consider are the water pump and crank pulley sizes. Unfortunately I don't have those sizes at hand. If your car originally had PS, then they probably are correct. When I added PS to my car, I needed to source all three.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    866.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    882.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2261.JPG
    IMG_2261.JPG
    823.6 KB · Views: 0
I just looked on CJ's website and from what I can see none of the pulleys look correct. The SD is junk, way too small diameter. The other one listed for a 351C, gives no details on dimensions.
Perhaps try OMS or Motorcity Mustangs or even the local junk yards for the correct pulley.
Also, my experience is only with the parts I mention, there may be alternatives I'm not aware of and others here might have better knowledge.

well the problem i have is that the old pulley broke as u can see when pulling it off The new pump PSP21 for $187 that i bought off CJ Pony is now what I need a pulley for,,,, the set back should not be a problem cause i can always shim it to fit .i dont want to mess with junk yard to much work taking off the pump and then pulling the pulley off ,,thanks for letting me know about CJs Pulleys ill try ebay

Attachments

• 350964565_634953965214356_7755779692812759583_n.jpg
    350964565_634953965214356_7755779692812759583_n.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 0
I see what you mean. That pulley was not for a 351C as far as I know. I did a pulley swap for a friend that had a similar pulley on a Ford Thompson pump and that was for a 302 motor.
I did a little digging and came up with these numbers. Fan pulley on my car is D1AE8509-BA and that is listed for 351W and 351C 71-73. West Coast Cougar have one listed. The crank pulley I believe is D0OE6312-B. 2 groove, 8" diam large and 6.5" small. I can't see the number on mine, but I believe it is correct.
There is one listed on eBay.

I see what you mean. That pulley was not for a 351C as far as I know. I did a pulley swap for a friend that had a similar pulley on a Ford Thompson pump and that was for a 302 motor.
I did a little digging and came up with these numbers. Fan pulley on my car is D1AE8509-BA and that is listed for 351W and 351C 71-73. West Coast Cougar have one listed. The crank pulley I believe is D0OE6312-B. 2 groove, 8" diam large and 6.5" small. I can't see the number on mine, but I believe it is correct.
There is one listed on eBay.
i want to thank you and the other guys for the help job is done Lares pump another old Ford pully cause the original pully broke taking it off

His pulley looks like the one thats on my H code 73 car. 351C with PS and AC.
Could be. I have zero knowledge of 73's. Pumps and pulleys do get swapped out and could lead to incorrect parts being installed.
I was just saying it looked just like a pulley I swapped for a friend and that was off a 302.

Back