Power steering pump and hose question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
I replaced my ps pump with a new one from Rockauto ( I will be sending my original out for a rebuild ). I ended up keeping my original long pressure hose.   I thought I had bled  the system the other day but while having the car idle a while while I tried to charge my AC I saw a lot of ps fluid coming out,  I thought it was leaking from the bottom of the fill tube.   A little later I checked it while running the car again and no leak and it showed full on the dipstick.  Would an over filled reservoir push fluid up and out of the tube even with the dipstick with its snug rubber jacket in place?   Also I noticed when turning the steering wheel the long pressure hose moves a little, is that normal or a sign of air in the line?   Steering feels fine, only drove it in and out of the garage.

I've just had the same problem - overfilled the reservoir and it blew the surplus out past the dipstick.  Note on the dipstick reads " check with oil hot " and fluid will show just on the hash marks at the bottom.  Engine should be " off " for this check.   The tube acts as a mini expansion chamber as it warms up.

The long hose will move slightly under pressure but there should be a bracket on top of the firewall / shocktower brace to support it.  Look for other posts & images on this topic also.  The system will " self bleed " so air will be eliminated with the first few cycles of the steering wheel.  Check fluid level again after your first test drive to be sure.  You're doing well.

Could be that your original hose is leaking even though it appears to be fine. Might want to replace it anyway since you are working in the PS area and will probably have to do it at some point. Remove it from the power steering box from the top using a crows foot flare fitting.

In addition to an overfill, could also be air in the system that causes the fluid to bubble out.

I've just had the same problem - overfilled the reservoir and it blew the surplus out past the dipstick.  Note on the dipstick reads " check with oil hot " and fluid will show just on the hash marks at the bottom.  Engine should be " off " for this check.   The tube acts as a mini expansion chamber as it warms up.

The long hose will move slightly under pressure but there should be a bracket on top of the firewall / shocktower brace to support it.  Look for other posts & images on this topic also.  The system will " self bleed " so air will be eliminated with the first few cycles of the steering wheel.  Check fluid level again after your first test drive to be sure.  You're doing well.
Here's a pic of the bracket.

IMG_0657 (2).JPG

but when I put it in I did check when hot.........of course it was the outside temp of 94 degrees that was hot :classic_unsure:

I did check it after it leaked, when it was hot and it still showed full on the dip stick.

Back