Power Steering Pump Replacement Pulley

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddMike

Reaction score
Prague, Czech Republic (from Cleveland, OH)
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1: 351 C (modified), FMX trans (modified), 9" 3:25 traction lock rear gear. I have owned this car 44 years, since I was 17.
I am having difficulty finding the correct PS pump pulley. Most stuff is up-to 1970. Furthermore, the sizes vary widely. I have a 351C with A/C. Can anyone advise what size pulley I should aim for or a part number. And does the diameter size matter so much and if possible to what varying degree or range of size measure is okay to use. I feel like I am over-analyzing this but the more I research the more confused I am getting.

I am having difficulty finding the correct PS pump pulley. Most stuff is up-to 1970. Furthermore, the sizes vary widely. I have a 351C with A/C. Can anyone advise what size pulley I should aim for or a part number. And does the diameter size matter so much and if possible to what varying degree or range of size measure is okay to use. I feel like I am over-analyzing this but the more I research the more confused I am getting.
The number is D0OR-B and is 6 1/4" outside diameter. Hemikiller's list shows all applications for that number, so it should be good for an AC car
You will need the proper puller/installer tool. I bought the Pittsburgh 63068 from Harbor Freight for 20 bucks and was pleased that it held up for removal and reinstall. It actually surprised me because it doesn't look that robust. Removal will require installing the proper adaptor and using an impact wrench to pull the pulley off. I have an electric 1/2" drive impact and it work well. The method shown in the instructions I found very hard yo do. To install, you will first need to make sure the shaft is clean and the inner thread, 3/8-16, is cleaned with a tap. There is a small bevel on the end to help the pulley start straight. A trick I found, was to hold the smaller 1/2" wrench in a vise and use a long lever on the 13/16" wrench. It will take a lot of pressure. Hard to explain I know, but you'll figure it out.

The number is D0OR-B and is 6 1/4" outside diameter. Hemikiller's list shows all applications for that number, so it should be good for an AC car
You will need the proper puller/installer tool. I bought the Pittsburgh 63068 from Harbor Freight for 20 bucks and was pleased that it held up for removal and reinstall. It actually surprised me because it doesn't look that robust. Removal will require installing the proper adaptor and using an impact wrench to pull the pulley off. I have an electric 1/2" drive impact and it work well. The method shown in the instructions I found very hard yo do. To install, you will first need to make sure the shaft is clean and the inner thread, 3/8-16, is cleaned with a tap. There is a small bevel on the end to help the pulley start straight. A trick I found, was to hold the smaller 1/2" wrench in a vise and use a long lever on the 13/16" wrench. It will take a lot of pressure. Hard to explain I know, but you'll figure it out.
Thank you very much .

Thanks for the info, it's helpful

Last edited:
Back