Power Steering Return Hose

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Relic

Reaction score
My Car
71 mach 1 SCJ
69 mach 1
67 convertible
Can anyone tell me why my 71 J Code has an extra long power steering return hose which is doubled up through a bracket on the drivers side tower brace.

I have found a photo on the net of another similar but A/C car.Mine is Drag Pack so no A/C

The long hose that goes through the bracket on the shock tower brace is the P/S  pressure hose. Through the years I've heard several reasons for the long hose. The two most prevalent is the extra length was used to allow extra fluid in the system for cooling, the second being that the length was used for pulse dampening. My 71 M code Mach1 has AC with a radiator style PS cooler mounted to the compressor and the long pressure hose. The pressure hose also has a foam wrap on it which I'm sure helps little with any cooling. The pulse dampening story.....who knows?!  I have also seen cars equipped identically to mine without the AC compressor mounted cooler. Another mystery.

The long hose was used until 5/1/72 when a pressure hose approximately half the length of the previous hose was used. I've driven with both versions of the hose on a vehicle and noticed no difference in how the car drove. I'm presently running the after 5/1/72 pressure hose on my 71.

Plus +1 I heard or read the same as secluff states.

The long hose that goes through the bracket on the shock tower brace is the P/S  pressure hose. Through the years I've heard several reasons for the long hose. The two most prevalent is the extra length was used to allow extra fluid in the system for cooling, the second being that the length was used for pulse dampening. My 71 M code Mach1 has AC with a radiator style PS cooler mounted to the compressor and the long pressure hose. The pressure hose also has a foam wrap on it which I'm sure helps little with any cooling. The pulse dampening story.....who knows?!  I have also seen cars equipped identically to mine without the AC compressor mounted cooler. Another mystery.

The long hose was used until 5/1/72 when a pressure hose approximately half the length of the previous hose was used. I've driven with both versions of the hose on a vehicle and noticed no difference in how the car drove. I'm presently running the after 5/1/72 pressure hose on my 71.
Thanks Guys, It is perished so I will replace it with the shorter hose or get a new hose made with my existing ends and I will replace the cooler which is missing..

::thumb:: Luv this Site !!!

Back