Power vs Manual

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
So when it's all said and done I'll have wilwood disk all the way around with 11.93" up front and 12" in the rear. Both calipers are 4 piston. I know you usually have bigger on the front vs the rear but it works out ok  this way with my setup of 17's front and 18's on the rear. I'm not 100% sure about vacuum with my 408c since it hasn't been installed yet. I know other members here with a 408 with a similar cam not making the vacuum wilwood recommends with their units. I spoke to wilwood and got several recommendations as to what to use. In their opinion their units were designed to run with just a master and no booster. He did offer if I had to go booster there are a few out there that work well with their units but he couldn't ensure it would work with my engine vs vacuum.

He suggested their 7/8's bore cylinder for a good all around feel. I'm only familiar with boosted brakes. This will not be a track car so its just for fun cruising around town. For what it's worth the car also has a 5 speed manual with hydraulic clutch. I'm not really interested in a hydroboost  or adding a vacuum pump. With not having any experience with wilwoods and manual brakes would my setup be enough and not be too much to drive to where its not fun? Leg force isn't really a problem in terms of my build but the Mrs would want to drive once in a while. Since my car came with power disk front and drum rear would I have to change anything with the pedal geometry to go to manual disk all the way around? Their master comes with the proportion valve. Thanks

I cannot shed light on custom system. The original PDB has a 7/8" piston in the master. Drum non power brakes has a 1" piston. I have been driving my vert for two years with a blown brake booster. You can slide the tires without the booster. It is such a pain to get out especially with a bad disc in your neck like mine.

So when it's all said and done I'll have wilwood disk all the way around with 11.93" up front and 12" in the rear. Both calipers are 4 piston. I know you usually have bigger on the front vs the rear but it works out ok  this way with my setup of 17's front and 18's on the rear. I'm not 100% sure about vacuum with my 408c since it hasn't been installed yet. I know other members here with a 408 with a similar cam not making the vacuum wilwood recommends with their units. I spoke to wilwood and got several recommendations as to what to use. In their opinion their units were designed to run with just a master and no booster. He did offer if I had to go booster there are a few out there that work well with their units but he couldn't ensure it would work with my engine vs vacuum.

He suggested their 7/8's bore cylinder for a good all around feel. I'm only familiar with boosted brakes. This will not be a track car so its just for fun cruising around town. For what it's worth the car also has a 5 speed manual with hydraulic clutch. I'm not really interested in a hydroboost  or adding a vacuum pump. With not having any experience with wilwoods and manual brakes would my setup be enough and not be too much to drive to where its not fun? Leg force isn't really a problem in terms of my build but the Mrs would want to drive once in a while. Since my car came with power disk front and drum rear would I have to change anything with the pedal geometry to go to manual disk all the way around? Their master comes with the proportion valve. Thanks

I have 4 wheel manual disc brakes on mine with a wilwood mc. I would not change it over to power if someone gave me all the stuff to do it. Thats just my take on it. My car stops and brakes just fine. I think there are a few threads on here discussing power vs manual. Just do a search. I have a 408 with the american powertrain setup. My brakes are not that fancy, fronts are stock ford calipers and the rear came from right stuff brakes ( I think they are actually Cadillac calipers) with drilled and slotted rotors.

I have 4 wheel manual disc brakes on mine with a wilwood mc. I would not change it over to power if someone gave me all the stuff to do it. Thats just my take on it. My car stops and brakes just fine. I think there are a few threads on here discussing power vs manual. Just do a search. I have a 408 with the american powertrain setup. My brakes are not that fancy, fronts are stock ford calipers and the rear came from right stuff brakes ( I think they are actually Cadillac calipers) with drilled and slotted rotors.
Awesome Roy, thanks for the 1st hand experience. Do I have to change anything with the pedal or can the MC?

Awesome Roy, thanks for the 1st hand experience. Do I have to change anything with the pedal or can the MC?

I did not have to change anything on my pedal but my car was a manual brake car from the start. I probably have the least optioned car available.

Power steering was the only option on my car. No long list of options here but I personally could care less. 351 4v, 4 speed, power steering and manual brakes. No stripes no spoiler dog dish wheels.

Yes, you probably should change to a manual brake pedal/arm. The manual pedal will give you more mechanical advantage (leverage), although it will require a little longer pedal travel. You may also have to to get the manual master cylinder to line up with the pin on the pedal arm.

Yes, you probably should change to a manual brake pedal/arm. The manual pedal will give you more mechanical advantage (leverage), although it will require a little longer pedal travel. You may also have to to get the manual master cylinder to line up with the pin on the pedal arm.
Correct on the master. The guy I spoke to from wilwood gave me two separate part numbers depending of if I was using a booster or not. I'll have to see who's selling that pedal. I'm guessing/hoping it's just a matter of unpinning the original and bolting up the new one? The hydraulic clutch I have has the master attached (MalWood) to the top of the pedal inside the car and is swapped as I just described my hope for the brake pedal. If it's more involved than just changing pedals please explain so I know what to get. Thanks

Yes, the only difference is the location of the pin. Forum members have converted their manual pedal to a power pedal by installing a new pin in the pedal arm. GPS has a bolt in pin in their kits. The pin is 2" higher on the manual brake cars. Another potential problem is the mounting plate on the firewall, they are different on manual and power brakes.

Yes, the only difference is the location of the pin. Forum members have converted their manual pedal to a power pedal by installing a new pin in the pedal arm. GPS has a bolt in pin in their kits. The pin is 2" higher on the manual brake cars. Another potential problem is the mounting plate on the firewall, they are different on manual and power brakes.
So I called Leed and Wilwood and neither are aware of a pedal difference for our year cars. I guess it could be due to lack of business in that world for our cars? So if WE do know there is a difference where would be a good contact to locate the parts I need? Thanks

Back