Power Window Harness connector

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
I am facing a dilemma.

I have original date stamped power window motors that appear to be too weak to drive the window.  I ordered the replacement window motors from Rock Auto and they look good.  The only difference is the 2-way harness connector on the motor and door harnesses.

Questions:

1) Is the rubber 2-way pigtail available so i can replace the aftermarket motor pigtail and plug to my factory harness?

2) Is there any value in keeping the original motor complete with the harness, assuming there is value in rebuilding an original Ford PW motor?

3)  The easy answer is to cut the pigtail off the old motor, add it to the new motor and keep the car harness in tact.

I appreciate your feedback  I would like to wrap this one up today.

kcmash

OK  Problem solved.

O'Reilly had a $3 double end connector cable in the trailer wiring section.  I can cut that down the middle and have teh correct harness plug for both front Power Windows for a grand total of 3 Dollars! :D

I'll try to take pictures.

kcmash

Maybe I tried to go to cheap.  I bought the Rock Auto aftermarket AC Delco brand for approx $30 per side.

As you can see in the picture below, it will bolt up, but there are a lot of differences in configuration:

1) Length of the motor

2) The bosses on the tail end for the rear motor bracket

3) The connector end.

I went to ACE and bought some all-thread and a standoff to get the rear bracket in place.

The second picture shows my replacement connectors in place. (Kinda proud of that.)

The final picture shows the motor and regulator ready to go in the door.  Note my standoff/bracket mount on the tail of the motor.

Yep, the windows work now, but that was some wrastlin!!

kcmash

Nice work!

In some cases, the old motors are still strong, but the gears and the old grease gunk up the works and the motor struggles. All you need to do is clean out the grease and replace the plastic gear. That's all I had to do with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work!

In some cases, the old motors are still strong, but the gears and the old grease gunk up the works and the motor struggles. All you need to do is clean out the grease and replace the plastic gear. That's all I had to do with mine.

Well, that is why I saved mine.  I think the Aisian made ones wont last as long as the original.

Yep mine would just drive slow and not go all the way down.  Maybe some 40 year old grease in there was the actual problem.  The old motors drive when unloaded, but won't move the door glass very well.

kcmash

Back