Power window (passenger) won’t go up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
Suddenly my passenger power window stopped going up fully. it goes 1/2 way and then starts clicking and won’t go further. If I run the motor a few more seconds I can pull the window up and it stays closed. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Additionally, the passenger window switch is not working at all (drivers side works). Have power at switch. Thoughts? Wire to relay ?

Thanks for any help

Rich

A common failure on these window motors is the three drive dogs inside the worm gear disintegrate. You can get a replacement gear assembly, or make up your own dogs from nylon, rubber or even a wood dowel. There are kits with just the dogs, but I've found them to be the wrong size.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=632714&cc=1132995&pt=10733&jsn=1702
1686403792041.png

As far as your door switch issue, since it's working from the driver's side, then you don't have a power supply problem. My thought is it's either a problem in the switch(es), or they may not be getting good contact at the door receptacle(s). It could simply be the P/S switch is bad, a quick test would be to swap it with a known good one, from either of the quarter windows. It could also be that the driver's side has a problem, and only makes contact when you apply pressure. The receptacles do crack over time. Check the continuity to ground at the P/S door motor connector, it should be present on both wires. Have a helper wiggle the D/S master switch module, if you see a change or lose ground continuity, then the problem lies on the driver's side.

Keep in mind that the system functions by switching polarity at the motor. In one direction, the R-Y receives power and the Y-R is ground. In the other direction, they switch. All grounding is delivered through the driver's master panel ground wire, and power comes from there as well.

The '73-only switches were used for decades afterwards, and are still available from any parts store. 1981 LTD is a good application to use, as you'll run into a dead end looking at a 73 Mustang. The Standard DWS1147 p/s door / quarter switch is actually a Ford part in the box.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1981,ltd,5.8l+351cid+v8,1131208,electrical-switch+&+relay

1686407770250.png

1686405129527.png

Last edited:
Suddenly my passenger power window stopped going up fully. it goes 1/2 way and then starts clicking and won’t go further. If I run the motor a few more seconds I can pull the window up and it stays closed. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Additionally, the passenger window switch is not working at all (drivers side works). Have power at switch. Thoughts? Wire to relay ?

Thanks for any help

Rich
On 73 model year all the switches seek ground thru the drivers side master switch and door. So if the window works from the master switch the you can rule out a ground issue. The wires from the master switch dont pass thru the other three switches. The master switch wires connect to the wire terminal on each switch base. . So it sounds like the issue is the passenger switch or the with the contacts in the base/receptical. Make sure the male and female connectors on the switch/plug and base/receptical are clean.

Last edited:
Thanks I’ll check, do you have a diagram of what each of the 6 pins in the passenger door switch are attached to and polarity?

There are kits with just the dogs, but I've found them to be the wrong size.
I bought these dogs/pellets/bushings (somehow nobody seems to agree on how to call these ears plugs :) )

I restored both my 71 and while the electrics were as new, the moment I pulled out the gear, all I saw was pieces in grease.

itworksright.jpg

At first ordered these kits with the 3 per motors by NPD or CJP, don't recall which. +- 3 buxx a set.
And just like you I thought they were of the wrong size. I couldn't get the third in place. Got a dozen from a buddy who bought some per 100 on E-bay:
same size. I thought may be it was because the motors were feb 71 and that they would be of other size later on. So turned them on a drill with sand paper to reduce just a tad the diameter..

For some reason I did not even start do the second one, my 73 driver side did exactly as Animal Lawyer describes his issue.
So removed the motor from the 73 to find out the gear was of the exact same size.

changing_bushings.jpg
After puzzeling around ( and swearing once or twice in the process) I've found out there is an easy way to install them and the "too tight" actually fits.
The trick is to insert 2 3/4 way in greased, the third at a small angle and insert the gear 1/2 way in. Then while holding the gear so I doesn't go up again, push the third one inwards (straight) with some force back and then you can tap the gear and they fit right in. Redid the "reduced" 71 and the second one doing the same thing, and they all went in with little bad words being said! :D
Since then the 73 window never been so smooth and responsive. I'll handle the driver side next time I need to remove the panel.

@Animal Lawyer "Suddenly my passenger power window stopped going up fully. it goes 1/2 way and then starts clicking and won’t go further."
Yeah, pretty sure its the pellets/dogs, whatever these little cylinders are called.

The plastic gear where they go inside is made of strong nylon and it's unlikely you need change it, especially if you have the original thingies in place,
as they simply disintegrate as you can see above. These gears are also pricy, so I'd say, remove and inspect first and then order one if necessary.

Even if the current main issue would be electrical, If you have the panel removed, I'd say change these while at it, because they are all the same after 50 years and they will break on you sooner or later.

Last edited:
Back