Power windows don't work

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Well I took the stang out today after another winter month of hibernation and decided to put down the drivers window...nothing. Hit the other 3 buttons and still nothing.

So I drove around for a 1/2 half and before putting her back in the garage hit the buttons again...nothing. When the car went in for its winter nap, all power windows were working properly.

Right now it's still to cold to try to figure out anything, but suggestions would be appreciated on where to start.

mrmach1 is correct, the glass fuses are prone to corrosion, especially when setting over winter with high humidity, and then either reduce the voltage passing through them or fail.

The main power feed for the power windows comes from the battery via a circuit breaker, which is located near the solenoid and voltage regulator. To complicate things, there is also a "safety" relay the main power gets switched through to the window switches. The relay is powered by a lead from the fuse block and is fused.

It can be any one of these 3 things, or a loose or dirty connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the power windows are powered from the diagonal buss-bar that is fused vertically.

I have a couple of power window cars and once I was working under the hood, there was a connection that I knocked loose. Seems like it was the driver's side behind the shock tower. This was in 1974 so memory not too good. I plugged the wire back and they worked.

David
I have a 72 mach 1 with power windows. It has been sitting for 30+ years in a garage. the front two go down/up really slowly and the back ones don't do anything. Does it need new motors since they have sat so long or would greasing the tracks work? Thanks

I have a couple of power window cars and once I was working under the hood, there was a connection that I knocked loose. Seems like it was the driver's side behind the shock tower. This was in 1974 so memory not too good. I plugged the wire back and they worked.

David
David is correct the main relay is on the drivers side shock tower

David
I have a 72 mach 1 with power windows. It has been sitting for 30+ years in a garage. the front two go down/up really slowly and the back ones don't do anything. Does it need new motors since they have sat so long or would greasing the tracks work? Thanks
Sense all are slow - is the battery good?

Fronts may need tracks cleaned and lubed

Rear usually is more involved - you need to open up the motors to clean and re-grease them

Last edited by a moderator:
Back