Powerfire Distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangStang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang sportroof
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has installed a Powerfire distributor by Professional Products.

The make them for 351 and 302 and look great. They have an external knob so you can advance or retard the timing on the fly.

They look good and I'm thinking of installing one on my 302 while I'm rebuilding it.

What is everyone else using for a HEI?

Thanks

We went with a complete Pertronix billet dizzy. So far, it seems pretty good! Also added an MSD digital ignition box to deliver a full 12 volts to the flame thrower coil.

We went with a complete Pertronix billet dizzy. So far, it seems pretty good! Also added an MSD digital ignition box to deliver a full 12 volts to the flame thrower coil.
Nice. I'll let you know what I decide when the time comes. Also looking at the new E-Street heads. Just don't have the change right now. After buying the car and getting it on the road and paying for the machining to the 302 and parts for the bottom end it might have to wait. Trying to gather all the small stuff I need. I may buy the cam and timing set, put the bottom end together, oil her up and let it sit for a while wrapped in plastic.

HEI= chevy stuff :sleepy:
HEI = high energy ignition, which is what I want for my Ford to give my spark plugs some snap, crackle and pop! I know GM introduced it, but we Ford boys can use it too!

Nice. I'll let you know what I decide when the time comes. Also looking at the new E-Street heads. Just don't have the change right now. After buying the car and getting it on the road and paying for the machining to the 302 and parts for the bottom end it might have to wait. Trying to gather all the small stuff I need. I may buy the cam and timing set, put the bottom end together, oil her up and let it sit for a while wrapped in plastic.
New Pertronix ignitor III billet distributor on order. Should be here in a couple of weeks. Finally getting back at my rebuild. Took me a while to get enough scratch together for the new heads. Now it's coming together.

"HEI" is the name GM hung on thier version of an electronic ignition. It is in reality basically the same in function as Ford's various "Duraspark" system used over the years, with a few design differences.

Not better or worse than Ford's design...just different.

I too chuckle when someone says to use an "HEI" on a Ford.

DangStang,

I am running the Mallory Unlit Distributor, Mallory Hy-Fire box, and Mallory PRO-Master coil. One advantage I see with the Powerfire HEI Distributor Small Block Ford 289-302 with 50K Volts Blue Cap is the coil is integrated into the cap.

http://www.professional-products.com/Home-Powerfire-Ignition/Powerfire-Distributors-c93/

Not a bad price for $125.00 versus $303.95 for the Mallory Unilite 4755101 distributor.

Let us know which direction you go in.

By the way folks, our steering boxes are GM Saginaw!

mustang7173

DangStang,

I am running the Mallory Unlit Distributor, Mallory Hy-Fire box, and Mallory PRO-Master coil. One advantage I see with the Powerfire HEI Distributor Small Block Ford 289-302 with 50K Volts Blue Cap is the coil is integrated into the cap.

http://www.professional-products.com/Home-Powerfire-Ignition/Powerfire-Distributors-c93/

Not a bad price for $125.00 versus $303.95 for the Mallory Unilite 4755101 distributor.

Let us know which direction you go in.

By the way folks, our steering boxes are GM Saginaw!

mustang7173
That is a low price. I checked into a rebuilt because I was just going to run a stock with the Ignitor III in it. The rebuilt was that much, plus the Pertronix module. Our prices are more up here in Canada, but that's crazy low if they work well.

I installed a Pertronix II under the I6 cap on the 250 ci and replaced the resistor wire already and I have the Flamethrower coil that I'll swap over when I put in the 302 that I'm rebuilding. The 250 runs better with the Pertronix in it.

Back