Price range in 1971

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
How did these compare to any other sports model of the day 

chargers and Camaro's etc. -- does anyone remember ? 

2dr Hardtop: ..................$2,911.00

2dr SportsRoof:............. $2,973.00

Convertible:................... $3,227.00

2dr Hardtop Grande: ......$3,117.00

2dr SportsRoof Mach 1: ..$3,268.00

2dr SportsRoof Boss 351: $4,124.00

If you take the cumulative inflationary fudge figure to convert a 1971 sticker price to present day value 

my "02" body Sportsroof would be stickered at @ $18990 on the dealership lot

As classic car values have increased over the past 3 years...On this side of the Atlantic - even an "02" body like mine (in near showroom condish),  is worth £28k about $34k of US Franklin and Jacksons

Last edited by a moderator:
The sticker price for my 73 Mach 1 was $5,156.90 pic of factory invoice, but paid $4,800 from memory. What blows most peoples minds it that a Boss 429 was just around $5,000 depending on options and they did not sell good they got big discounts. I looked at them dealer here I think had 9 on the lot because of NASCAR in the area. 

On one of the facebook mustang pages they post up the old car ads and pretty much a bag boy could afford a new mustang when they came out. Now the grocery store manage cannot afford one, lol. Got to get that time machine going. See the ad below $40.00 a month payment. Ford had better price than GM

Chrysler maybe a little less than Ford. The Maverick was a great car for the price. Dad had one that was less than $2,000 new and had AC. I had one loaded and was $3.200 new. 

You have to remember though that in 70, minimum wage was $1.60 an hour or so, and average yearly was around $6k. That's what? a little over $62 a week minus taxes...so a $40 payment was close to 25 percent of a minimum wage monthly take home. Not too different now but the loan lengths are twice as long....

It was still doable in the 60's and 70's however. My parents didn't make a whole lot of money, they did ok for the era, yet they had new cars every other year. Next door neighbor was a Chevy salesman, and they cursed the issues with almost each one and then they bought the next Chevy and cursed again. lol I ordered a brand new '87 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350 from the factory with exactly the options I wanted, and the car was $17.5K. At some point the automakers slipped high prices and padded profit margins right past us. I believe David here said that a BMW might only cost $15K to build, but they have to pile on the profit or else people wouldn't buy them. And for many years now you can't order specific options, it has to be option groups which add thousands to the bottom line. I realize there are many more safety features than before and that is part of the price increase. However look at the prices of high-line pickups and luxury SUV's- tons of pure profit on what is essentially a pickup truck. I bought my wife a Lincoln Navigator L but went with a Certified Pre-Owned model to save a lot in depreciation. And my thinking is that many of the new electronic warning systems for lane change and so forth are for the most part dumbing-down drivers. Why even bother concentrating on the road when all of the electronic monitoring systems will save you? Check those text messages, fiddle around with Sirius, etc., the car has you covered.

We did the same thing. My wife wanted a new car so we bought a Ford certified Escape a couple years ago. Just couldn't bring ourselves to spend so much money. Even so, it's a 6 year note north of $350 month.

My last car purchase was an 08 Mustang GT. Just made the last payment in Feb. I got it 4 years ago with 120k for $8500. With a couple grand down, I had four years of $150 a month. Almost like not having a car payment.

I think the inflation of the 70s and efforts to keep minimum wage low are the biggest factors in the price and wage comparisons. Somethings track and are in proportion, others get way out of proportion.

My Marti window sticker.

The A/C, since removed, was the most expensive option.

And $93 for the 4V Cleveland!

mike

A Ford dealership is still there at 919 ...If I lived in the US ...  I'd get in my car, take the documentation and insist they fix it under warranty  :p

My Marti window sticker.

The A/C, since removed, was the most expensive option.

And $93 for the 4V Cleveland!

mike

A Ford dealership is still there at 919 ...If I lived in the US ...  I'd get in my car, take the documentation and insist they fix it under warranty  :p
Yep, still there.

https://www.capitolford.com/

Have thought about taking it down there and asking for a checkup.

What??  You don't service the cars you sell??

Show me in the contract where my car is excluded.

Bought some tires once that included a free alignment,  right!

Was told they needed to find the oldest guy in the shop, first.

mike

My brother, circa 1974, with is $4700 GT500 after college graduation. His had a 427 medium riser though. It scooted and was his one and only daily driver for years.

Back